Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cologne fans

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Pretty easy to get tickets for Arsenal for games where they don't sell out. We have 2 in the Arsenal and 4 in club Arsenal for the Brighton game amongst our group.

I wouldnt shout this out. Imagine they will be looking into their ticketing process.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I really wonder what would happened and the media reaction would be like if this was roles reversed, and it was 20,000 fans of an English club that did this in Germany?

My money is on multiple arrests, water cannons, batons on skulls, general police brutality, deportations. Followed by media hysteria about the English disease. Possible points deductions or banning English clubs from European competitions again.

My Arsenal colleague tells me that the Cologne fans were good natured and they created a beery/friendly atmosphere in the streets and pubs. And the Arsenal fan websites all seem to be saying this as well. The problem English fans have got is that a 40 year reputation is hard to shake off, and let's be honest they aren't very good at the friendly bit when beery. It's the Millwall "no one likes us we don't care" attitude.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For FA Cup games Arsenal should allocate a minimum of 15% of tickets to away fans at the Emirates (around 9000 tickets minimum).

Instead of allocating just 3000 tickets to Cologne supporters for a Europa Cup match where Arsenal supporters knew they would pretty much be watching their squad players, Arsenal should have offered more tickets directly to Cologne supporters. Instead Arsenal failed to take into account basic supply and demand economics and the club deserves to be fined by EUEFA.
I disagree, it's up to UEFA to make clubs offer more than a small percentage of tickets, not up to clubs to each randomly guess how many will travel and try and guess how many tickets to offer.

If Arsenal really did get a load of new applications and offer tickets to fans in Germany, that's pretty daft and reason for criticism. Otherwise it's the Cologne fans who broke the rules.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
I disagree, it's up to UEFA to make clubs offer more than a small percentage of tickets, not up to clubs to each randomly guess how many will travel and try and guess how many tickets to offer.

If Arsenal really did get a load of new applications and offer tickets to fans in Germany, that's pretty daft and reason for criticism. Otherwise it's the Cologne fans who broke the rules.

There were over 10,000 empty seats at the Emirates last night, and it is estimated approx 10,000 Cologne fans got into the ground. Arsenal could have chosen to sell more seats directly to Cologne fans and had fans segregated if they wanted to. Apparently Cologne had 20,000 aplicants for their 2,900 ticket allocation. Arsenal didn't have to guess how many Cologne fans wanted to travel and see the match

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There were over 10,000 empty seats at the Emirates last night, and it is estimated approx 10,000 Cologne fans got into the ground. Arsenal could have chosen to sell more seats directly to Cologne fans and had fans segregated if they wanted to.
They could have, but why should they? Maybe they didn't want the match to feel like a home game for the away side. It's not their job to think 'oh, those away fans look like they'll cause trouble, let's give them more tickets.' It's presumably against the rules to buy a ticket in the away end. Cologne should also be telling their fans not to travel without a ticket. It's Cologne (and possibly UEFA) in the wrong here.

Apparently Cologne had 20,000 aplicants for their 2,900 ticket allocation. Arsenal didn't have to guess how many Cologne fans wanted to travel and see the match
Yes, but I mean as an overall strategy for all clubs. So should clubs offer whatever the other team wants, or 50% of what they want (in which case they'll pretend to want more), or what? My point is simply that UEFA should make the rules on how many tickets to offer, clubs should follow those rules, and the away club should prevent their fans from traveling without a ticket or sitting in the wrong end.

......Cologne should also be telling their fans not to travel without a ticket. It's Cologne (and possibly UEFA) in the wrong here.

........, and the away club should prevent their fans from traveling without a ticket or sitting in the wrong end.

So a) how do they do that? and b) if the Albion were to play in Barcelona, Madrid, Paris etc you'd be quite happy with a situation that, if you didn't have a ticket, the club would be in a position to forbid you from travelling to said cities?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So a) how do they do that? and b) if the Albion were to play in Barcelona, Madrid, Paris etc you'd be quite happy with a situation that, if you didn't have a ticket, the club would be in a position to forbid you from travelling to said cities?
I would think that the club would send a message asking us not to travel without a ticket, and stating that if there's trouble there due to too many Brighton fans without a ticket then the club will be penalised. Our fans may then be more careful not to cause trouble in said city, and certainly not go on a ****ing march (even if it is peaceful).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I really wonder what would happened and the media reaction would be like if this was roles reversed, and it was 20,000 fans of an English club that did this in Germany?

My money is on multiple arrests, water cannons, batons on skulls, general police brutality, deportations. Followed by media hysteria about the English disease. Possible points deductions or banning English clubs from European competitions again.

Was about to post something similar. Many of the same people who are praising the Cologne fans on here would be calling for bans if it was Spurs or Man U fans doing it in another country.

I would think that the club would send a message asking us not to travel without a ticket, and stating that if there's trouble there due to too many Brighton fans without a ticket then the club will be penalised. Our fans may then be more careful not to cause trouble in said city, and certainly not go on a ****ing march (even if it is peaceful).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-sbFhOeqTzY

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Where did you see that? At the top of this thread?

I can't quite tell if you're trying to take the piss or not. If you are not, I'm not sure what the point of your post is. If you are, I'm not sure what justifies any sort of piss taking. Presumably you are referring to the fact that this was already mentioned in post 120 of this thread. Do you expect every single person who posts on the forum to read every single post of what is essentially a Arsenal match day thread? I don't even read all the posts of the Brighton match day threads! Information gets repeated every single day on NSC, as is normal for a forum of this size. Why pick out BG for it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here