Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best football pub(s) in Worthing

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Geese on the seafront is a decent enough pub that plays good music although admittedly usually full of people you can tell wish they were in Brighton.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bit out of towards (too far West) but there is the Thomas A Beckett, which I think Kerry Mayo's brother either owns/works at/does the pub quiz at. Although I think they might have smartened up and stopped the football...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Geese on the seafront is a decent enough pub that plays good music although admittedly usually full of people you can tell wish they were in Brighton.

Doesn't show football though does it ?

Also it has gone very downhill this year. I posted in another thread and apparently the owner is in jail....

They also now serve PERONI in the Libertine which seems to go against the whole 'ethos' of his pubs

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bit out of towards (too far West) but there is the Thomas A Beckett, which I think Kerry Mayo's brother either owns/works at/does the pub quiz at. Although I think they might have smartened up and stopped the football...

Not shown football for about 5 years :nono: now a Fullers

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Also it has gone very downhill this year. I posted in another thread and apparently the owner is in jail....

They also now serve PERONI in the Libertine which seems to go against the whole 'ethos' of his pubs

Same person owns the Libertine? This is all news to me. In what way has The Geese gone downhill? I'm not disagreeing, just curious.

Surprised to find Peroni there, agreed. Libertine is a bit more chavvy than The Geese though, I would've said.

No it's not a football pub, I was responding to the "no good pubs in Worthing" claim which isn't true. Only just moved away from the area but lived there for 4 years and there were a few decent pubs there.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Mayo's bro has long since left. Decent pub though but alas no football shown.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Same person owns the Libertine? This is all news to me. Surprised to find Peroni there, agreed. Libertine is a bit more chavvy than The Geese though, I would've said.

No it's not a football pub, I was responding to the "no good pubs in Worthing" claim which isn't true.

Ah sorry missed your point. Yes the same person. Libertine younger crowd and more vibey. The beers in either haven't changed for months, and the Goose on bank holiday weekend was a disaster.

Sooner someone takes control the better

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Agreed on Warwick. The only reason I'd ever go is football purely on atmosphere.

VP does liven up for football and turns into a boozer with some big screens. Greene King pub so usual beers / ciders in there.

This,both pubs will have a decent atmosphere, Warwick has the bonus of screens in toilets, so u don't miss anything

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing

Correct!

Same person owns the Libertine? This is all news to me. In what way has The Geese gone downhill? I'm not disagreeing, just curious.

Surprised to find Peroni there, agreed. Libertine is a bit more chavvy than The Geese though, I would've said.

No it's not a football pub, I was responding to the "no good pubs in Worthing" claim which isn't true. Only just moved away from the area but lived there for 4 years and there were a few decent pubs there.

The chap who managed The Libertine and The Wondering Goose has now gone and opened up his own micro-pub/bar in West Worthing near the Co-op called The Grizzly Bear. Been in there for a few (it's on my doorstep). Whilst small, it's very nice. I also like the novelty of the toilet located in the secret door of the bookcase.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I agree but I never think of those pubs as being town centre although they are as near as dammit. Was thinking more of the Warwick/Montague St axis I suppose.

There is the delightful Smugglers Inn which is over my way in East Worthing village. They show footy I think.

Jul 7, 2003
Forgot to add, the Pantry next door to the Brookstead is incredible. 'Artisan' bakery, small team but some of the stuff they create is incredible !

Best sausage rolls around - not cheap but very, very good.

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
What about the bar, not sure of its name up your way in Findon Road shops near Tesco? Or possibly George & Dragon unless that is too far out if town. I would have thought that the 2 JDW will have it on if they still have Sky.

Thats the valley bar, small pub but lots of screens not bad for watching football if busy a good atmosphere

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here