Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best football pub(s) in Worthing

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A group of us are heading out tomorrow night to watch the game, likely central-ish and it dawned on me that I don't think there are any pubs that show football that I would go to if there wasn't football on.

Possibly the best I can think of is The Castle Ale House.

Am I missing any hidden gems?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Vintners or Warwick are lively and usually full of Albion fans when we are on TV. But not sure I'd describe either as places to drink without football on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Vintners or Warwick are lively and usually full of Albion fans when we are on TV. But not sure I'd describe either as places to drink without football on.

The Warwick is pretty frightful, I thought. I don't think they have a single beer or cider that I would ever choose to drink. For that reason, I'm out.

VP had been suggested, but I've not been there in years. From the outside it always looks like more a food pub than a drinking pub.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Warwick is pretty frightful, I thought. I don't think they have a single beer or cider that I would ever choose to drink. For that reason, I'm out.

VP had been suggested, but I've not been there in years. From the outside it always looks like more a food pub than a drinking pub.

Agreed on Warwick. The only reason I'd ever go is football purely on atmosphere.

VP does liven up for football and turns into a boozer with some big screens. Greene King pub so usual beers / ciders in there.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

It was a decent pub when it was the Thieves Kitchen - in the days before CAMRA it was one of the few not owned by Watney's.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Worthing Football Club is a nice enough venue but too quiet on past visits so no real atmosphere.

The Grand Victorian (old Chapmans) doesn't feel like it's changed in 30 years, and that's not a compliment in this instance.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Worthing town centre is a dreadful place for pubs now & the last really decent pub - the Hare & Hounds - doesn't show footy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Worthing town centre is a dreadful place for pubs now & the last really decent pub - the Hare & Hounds - doesn't show footy.

I'd disagree with that. The Corner House and The Egremont are absolutely cracking pubs for a start.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

The Cornerhouse sadly doesn't show football (or it didn't last time I went) but that is a brilliant town centre pub. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], that was the one we ended up in for that last pint when we had our pub crawl.

And round the corner from the Cornerhouse, The Selden is pretty good too as is the Egremont.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
The Cornerhouse sadly doesn't show football (or it didn't last time I went) but that is a brilliant town centre pub. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], that was the one we ended up in for that last pint when we had our pub crawl.

And round the corner from the Cornerhouse, The Selden is pretty good too as is the Egremont.

Quite right, I think Worthing is decent for a beer, and would add Anchored to your list, plus The Brooksteed, but that's not that central.

Football wise, I've watched games in the Charles Dickens, used to have a nice selection of beers but I've heard it's gone downhill. Vintners is ok, plenty of room and screens, and I watched the Huddersfield away game last season in the Warwick. That was a grim night.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quite right, I think Worthing is decent for a beer, and would add Anchored to your list, plus The Brooksteed, but that's not that central.

Football wise, I've watched games in the Charles Dickens, used to have a nice selection of beers but I've heard it's gone downhill. Vintners is ok, plenty of room and screens, and I watched the Huddersfield away game last season in the Warwick. That was a grim night.

The craft/micropub scene is definitely picking up after Brooksteed kicked things off (I know Anchored was there first, but it was not that well known). There's the Green Man and the relatively new Georgi Fin and Grizzly Bear.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
The craft/micropub scene is definitely picking up after Brooksteed kicked things off (I know Anchored was there first, but it was not that well known). There's the Green Man and the relatively new Georgi Fin and Grizzly Bear.

They all look very interesting, thanks, I feel a pub crawl in West Worthing coming on.....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Love the Brookstead. Too many of those micro pubs are a bit 'beardy' and feel like a doctors waiting room (Green Man / Anchored) but they have a bit of character and the owners are good fun too.

Grizzly Bear is nice, but a bit more wine bar / cocktaily. They do have beer on tap but nothing 'special'

Forgot to add, the Pantry next door to the Brookstead is incredible. 'Artisan' bakery, small team but some of the stuff they create is incredible !

Last edited:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
They all look very interesting, thanks, I feel a pub crawl in West Worthing coming on.....

Having been encouraged by the wife to have a brisk half mile walk a few times a week I find starting with a couple at the Green Man and then walking down Pavilion Road to The Brooksteed for a couple more does the trick.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about the bar, not sure of its name up your way in Findon Road shops near Tesco? Or possibly George & Dragon unless that is too far out if town. I would have thought that the 2 JDW will have it on if they still have Sky.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I'd disagree with that. The Corner House and The Egremont are absolutely cracking pubs for a start.

I agree but I never think of those pubs as being town centre although they are as near as dammit. Was thinking more of the Warwick/Montague St axis I suppose.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I know you said "central-ish" but you could do worse than the George & Dragon in Tarring.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here