Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man Utd Lukaku chant

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
To be honest, I'm not offended by it but I did raise my eyebrows at the comments by people on here thinking how funny it was. It's a pretty obvious racial stereotype and I'm not surprised they want it stopped.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
To be honest, I'm not offended by it but I did raise my eyebrows at the comments by people on here thinking how funny it was. It's a pretty obvious racial stereotype and I'm not surprised they want it stopped.

Y'see I am surprised they have come out on this. Just seems that there are much bigger issues for them to deal with, or try to. I would have thought they should be working harder at getting racial ANGER kicked out rather than a humorous (ok, depending on your humour) chant by supporters towards their own player. Those fans are not trying to offend the player, and I just would have thought the focus of Kick It Out should be towards angry, aggressive racist behaviour, and getting authorities to punish clubs, and Football Associations much harder when incidents occur. This chant should be way down the priority list of things they need to do.

It does just add to the criticism of Kick It Out that they focus on little easy stuff, rather than having the determination to tackle a bigger problem. T-shirts and getting supporters to sing a different song in support of their new favourite player. Yeah great, is that really tackling anything significant?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Apologies to anyone who was offended by my posting of this, must admit I didn't consider the racial stereotype.

Happy for this post to be removed if the mods feel it breaks any rules.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Kick It Out as an earlier poster reflected, really do need to concentrate on stuff that truly matters. This is peripheral.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I file this in the same category as the Ross/Brand call to Andrew Sachs of a few years ago. There was a lot of faux outrage long after the incident itself actually occurred.

But it just wasn't funny. That sketch wasn't funny, and this song about Lukaku is not funny.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I file this in the same category as the Ross/Brand call to Andrew Sachs of a few years ago. There was a lot of faux outrage long after the incident itself actually occurred.

But it just wasn't funny. That sketch wasn't funny, and this song about Lukaku is not funny.
Indeed, it isn't particularly funny but it is very clever, which is what I liked about it - a song to the tune of Made of Stone. We could do with more chants from the decent but now ancient Madchester scene.

And whilst this is racial stereotyping at it's most obvious, it isn't at all vicious so I really can't get all precious about it.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Sounds like a good cause to somehow get offended on someone else's behalf.

I'm sure there are no other more serious matters to tend to.

Dear oh dear

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Maybe Lukaku actually has a small penis and is personally offended by the song.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Would they get offended if someone Dutch was sung about for being tall I wonder?
If the idea that all Dutch people were tall had been part of a package of stereoptypes that were used to subjugate and enslave the Dutch then, yes people would get offended.

The idea that black men have large penises is part of a whole branch of racism that sees black men as sub-human, animalistic and lust-driven and therefore a threat to white women - a threat that needed to be countered by enslavement and violent repression.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I thought this was all out in the open as being racist about 15 years ago when David Brent did it in The Office.

Or have I completely imagined that?

Soon as I heard it, I pictured Jennifer Taylor-Clarke from The Office dishing out a blocking to David Brent for making a joke on a similar subject.

Must admit, it made me slightly uncomfortable when I saw it on Twitter the other day. Sure, there are more vicious forms of abuse out there, but it is a lazy stereotype which is- perhaps even unconsciously by the creators- based upon Lukaku's ethnicity. Saying "He'll be flattered" has echoes to me of 1970s comedians calling their black cohorts "Sambo" or "Chalky" and telling everyone it's OK "because he doesn't mind". It's casual racism really, isn't it? Nobody intends to offend, because they simply don't think how it might be an issue for somebody.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41317495

Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out has contacted Manchester United to ask them to stop the club's fans singing a "racist" chant about Romelu Lukaku.

It says the lyrics, about the size of the Belgium striker's penis, are "offensive and discriminatory".

"Racist stereotypes are never acceptable, irrespective of any intention to show support for a player," said Kick It Out.

A United blog has already asked the club's fans to refrain from the song.

"It's a cheap and insulting stereotype that has no place in this day and age," United fan Scott Patterson wrote in a post on The Republik of Mancunia.

Lukaku joined United for an initial £75m from Everton during the summer in a deal that could rise to £90m.

Kick It Out said it was "aware of footage of alleged racist chanting by supporters of Manchester United that emerged on Wednesday 13 September", Lukaku having scored in the game against Basel in the Champions League the previous evening.

"We have contacted Manchester United regarding the issue and will be working closely with them and the Football Association to ensure that it is addressed swiftly," said a Kick It Out spokesperson.

If I had 10,000 people singing my name and speculating that I had a 2-foot cock, I would be absolutely ****ing delighted.

I would NOT be thinking, "oooh that's rude and offensive"

Kick it Out do some pretty amazing work but they just need to back off from this.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If the idea that all Dutch people were tall had been part of a package of stereoptypes that were used to subjugate and enslave the Dutch then, yes people would get offended.

The idea that black men have large penises is part of a whole branch of racism that sees black men as sub-human, animalistic and lust-driven and therefore a threat to white women - a threat that needed to be countered by enslavement and violent repression.

Its a basis for that racism, but not racist in and of itself I wouldn't have thought. I mean there are stages of 'logic' here : big cock = lust-driven = threat to white women = need to be enslaved. I'm pretty sure we, as a society, have cut that chain well before the big cock bit, in the sense that this chain of thought has never ever occurred to me before you pointed it out here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here