Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man Utd Lukaku chant

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Ah, but was there an alternative version for Paul Scholes after 'that photo' if not then there should have been to even things up a bit and it would have been even funnier.
It used to be a standing joke on TV that Dion Dublin was the 'longest in the shower' and nothing was said about that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So what does the man Lukaku have to say about all this? Any reports? Only his view counts at the end of the day.

Outraged at the racism, or smug about the penis reference?

If it were me it would be the latter.

Albeit somewhat fraudulently.

If we as a group of supporters are not offended by homophobic chanting, does that mean homophobic chanting isn't offence, if our view is the only one that counts at the end of the day?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Matt Dickinson and Matthew Syed must win awards this morning for their pieces in The Times for their condescendence and hypocrisy.

They are being paid by Rupert Murdoch.

Journos really take the biscuit sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, but no-one gives a toss about whether Posh Spice is upset; yet some people go out of their way to be offended on behalf of Lukaku, whether he's offended by it or not.

Why are we apparently arguing? If Lukaku says he's offended then it is by definition offensive (and supporters of his team will presumably desist). People arguing that it is generally offensive are just virtue signaling. On more than one occasion I have walked into trouble at work by saying or emailing stuff that others have deemed potentially offensive to third parties, when the third party eithr doesn't give a shit or finds my comment harsh but fair. I suspect we are entirely in agreement :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If we as a group of supporters are not offended by homophobic chanting, does that mean homophobic chanting isn't offence, if our view is the only one that counts at the end of the day?

The person to judge whether something is offensive or not is the target. But by changing the nature of the potential offense to general homophobic chanting you are changing the situation. Here we had a chant specifically targeted at one man. If he finds it offensive then it is. It doesn't matter what the crowd, the people watching on the telly, you or I think - any sense of offense we may feel on the player's behalf is quite diffrent from any snse of offense we may feel if a crowd is making general obvious racist or homophobic chanting directed generally at the 'minority'. This is not what was happening here (unless you want to write a sociology thesis about how intrinsic racism in parts of the country makes white men think that focusing on racial stereotyps is in some way 'affectionate' but is in fact sympotomatic of their ignorance). Let's move on.....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The person to judge whether something is offensive or not is the target. But by changing the nature of the potential offense to general homophobic chanting you are changing the situation. Here we had a chant specifically targeted at one man. If he finds it offensive then it is. It doesn't matter what the crowd, the people watching on the telly, you or I think - any sense of offense we may feel on the player's behalf is quite diffrent from any snse of offense we may feel if a crowd is making general obvious racist or homophobic chanting directed generally at the 'minority'. This is not what was happening here (unless you want to write a sociology thesis about how intrinsic racism in parts of the country makes white men think that focusing on racial stereotyps is in some way 'affectionate' but is in fact sympotomatic of their ignorance). Let's move on.....

So it doesn't matter if every black man in a crowd finds it offensive as racial stereotyping, as long as the person its targeted at doesn't its okay? I don't get the logic.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Of all of the things that are offensive to me in this world (millions homeless, starving, abused, enslaved) I am never failed to be amazed at how the Western word manages to find offense in something so bloody trivial. Literally millions of kids in the third world are sleeping alone on the streets and yet we as a population are getting our knickers in a twist about a stereotype of black guys having big dicks. Can we all just stop being so offended by everything.

Agreed and my colleague agrees too:)

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Could have been, but it's all city fans seem to sing in/around the etihad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So it doesn't matter if every black man in a crowd finds it offensive as racial stereotyping, as long as the person its targeted at doesn't its okay? I don't get the logic.

Mmmm...I won't argue with that. However my understanding is the complainants were not even at the game, but are group dedicated to fighting racism.... any black people at the game objecting? They would have had plenty of time to do so after the fact....

I'm not saying I would encourage this sort of chanting, or join in, but there is a sliding scale....maybe you and I simply disagree about where on the sliding scale this fits?

My feeling is there are more important acts of prejuduce (and worse) to worry about....but maybe I'm wrong, and if so I apologise.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here