Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale in the bottom 3

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Bit of a pity if he didn't fancy staying and fighting for the shirt IMO, nobody is ever assured their place in a team, least of all a goalie.

With hindsight, though, how many games would he have got this season? How many did Ryan miss?

His value (potential to get a hot new contract somewhere) would have plummeted.

It was obviously a purely financial decision, I expect he got hefty signing on bonus up there, so of course he's within his rights to chase the money. But in terms of a career move, if was a real dud.

Family before career. Person before player.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think it's more to do with wages. Most of the Brum fans I saw on Twitter were positive. Harry was known for offering big contracts.
I feel sorry for Stockdale as he thought he was doing right by his family. He didn't harm Brighton, so those who have their knives out, can put them away.

Feel sorry for him - really?

He must've known signing for Redknapp was fraught with risk in terms of stability. Was there any way at all he was going to stay 3 years as a manager at Birmingham? Sure Stockdale took a three year contract but it was the football equivalent of blood money - he surely knew what was coming but chose to move anyway.

The ultimate example of money over career.....

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't get why people are now slating him! He was an integral part of our promotion winning side with some very important saves, and was a big part of the whole #together especially after the Shoreham disaster.

I have nothing but praise for him for what he did for us and the Community at large. I hope it works out for him, good luck fella!

It will definitely work out for him. Either he gets another 2 years at Brum with a mega salary and (presumably) little or no work to do, or he gets another move on a longer contact with about the same money. He just can't lose.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
With hindsight, though, how many games would he have got this season? How many did Ryan miss?

His value (potential to get a hot new contract somewhere) would have plummeted.

Exactly - that IS with hindsight. How many games would he have got ? Given what a signing Ryan turned out to be, not very many. But nobody would've known that at the time, and who knows, Ryan could've got crocked at any time. He clearly didn't feel confident enough in his own ability to make that No1 shirt his own, so took the easy option and went for the money.

Family before career. Person before player.

He and his family would've been absolutely fine had he taken that year on offer. Premier League goalkeepers and their families don't tend to starve.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I've got no issue with Stockers, loved him with us, and was sorry to see him go. He was a massive reason why we went up, and always appeared to be a significant part of making the dressing room what it was. I know people who have met him, and he always came across superbly, a real ambassador for the club. Strange he didn't want to stay, and couldn't help but scratch my head at the club choice, and with 'Arry in charge it looked even more bizarre as he was never going to take them up the table, and was always going to jump ship as soon as it got choppy.

However, the one thing that didn't always sit well was his Twitter feed. He always came across as fishing for praise when he'd done well and kept a clean sheet, retweeting all sorts of complimentary tweets, but then throw his toys out of the pram when he got stick on there. Then there would be some very strange spats that you would see and think "oh David, no, just stay well away from that." Whether it was the nonsense over comments he made about leaving, or some kit his kid had on, or just a general dig if he'd had a bad game, he couldn't leave it alone.

I have remained a follower on Twitter, and nothing changed this season. Just the other week he got himself into an unnecessary Twitter row over some girl he'd Tweeted, or she'd tweeted him. Something and nothing, but he couldn't let it lie and reacted to insults. Sorry, but if you want to play on Twitter and social media in general then you have to have a mindset that enables you to walk away at the right time. He was always poor at that with us, and still is now. Maybe, just maybe, he figured he wouldn't react well to the extra scrutiny and attention that would come with Premier League football. His skin just isn't thick enough to deal with the Premier league and all that comes with it.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
He spoke a lot about doing what's right for his family, and he did, I think?

Just a shameful excuse that footballers use nowadays instead of stating the ugly truth.

I'm fairly certain his family's standard of living was comfortable to say the least, far and away superior to most of ours, and was probably set up for life several years ago.

I liked him as a keeper and particularly liked having him around the place, when he moved I wished him well but the writing was on the wall when joining that circus act of a football club.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
He and his family would've been absolutely fine had he taken that year on offer. Premier League goalkeepers and their families don't tend to starve.

He'd be a reserve goalkeeper at a Premier League club on a modest wage for 12 months. So no guarantee, no security and no roots for his young family.

Whatever, it was his decision. Pretty odd for any Albion fan to hold it against him, especially how things turned out for us.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He'd be a reserve goalkeeper at a Premier League club on a modest wage for 12 months. So no guarantee, no security and no roots for his young family.

Whatever, it was his decision. Pretty odd for any Albion fan to hold it against him, especially how things turned out for us.

I very much doubt he'd be on a "modest wage". And footballers aren't often fortunate enough to have roots during their playing careers, its just the nature of the job - but the rewards at the level he plays at far outweigh the regular upheavals.

Anyway I don't hold it against him at all, he was brilliant for us and I'm grateful for all that he did, he made a massive contribution to getting us promoted. I don't hold that move against him - I just don't understand it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I very much doubt he'd be on a "modest wage"

For a Premier League player, he would have been.

You said "Premier League goalkeepers and their families don't tend to starve".

He's not David de Gea.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As I said at the time, even if we were only offering a year, there's no way he'd have been washed up by the end of it. He'd have either been retained again if he'd performed, or he'd find another club without much trouble. Bit of a pity if he didn't fancy staying and fighting for the shirt IMO, nobody is ever assured their place in a team, least of all a goalie.

It was obviously a purely financial decision, I expect he got hefty signing on bonus up there, so of course he's within his rights to chase the money. But in terms of a career move, if was a real dud.

The club behind the scenes didn't truly want to keep him. In one of your posts in this long thread, you hit the nail on the head, as to the real reason.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How does £15,000 pw look? That's £780,000 per annum, with £36,000 hitting the Stockdale family bank account monthly.

Except he appears to be on 30-40k per week according to the natives..........good old 'Arry.

Sample posts (selective, he does get some support as well - the thread is an interesting read as they're comparing two of our ex-keppers) :

Overpaid
Overweight
Under motivated
Under performing
In Monk we trust
See ya later, fatty

If just some of him could go

Stockdale`s wage (and his waist line) an obscenity for a championship keeper, expect Greggs share price to nosedive!

https://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,2493274

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Except he appears to be on 30-40k per week according to the natives..........good old 'Arry.

Sample posts (selective, he does get some support as well - the thread is an interesting read as they're comparing two of our ex-keppers) :

Overpaid
Overweight
Under motivated
Under performing
In Monk we trust
See ya later, fatty

Stockdale`s wage (and his waist line) an obscenity for a championship keeper, expect Greggs share price to nosedive!

https://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,2493274

I was referring to his possible Albion income.

It was being discussed whether DS should have stayed as number 2 to Ryan for a year, on "modest" Championship wages.

The Brum figures you mention wouldn't be surprising.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
How does £15,000 pw look? That's £780,000 per annum, with £36,000 hitting the Stockdale family bank account monthly.

Sounds a lot, but that's modest compared to first-choice Prem goalkeepers, and modest compared to what he's getting now.

If he's on £30k at Birmingham, his new contract could have been worth SIX TIMES what Albion put on the table, and that's not including the sign-on bonus.

And he gets to play football every week rather than warming a bench.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sounds a lot, but that's modest compared to first-choice Prem goalkeepers, and modest compared to what he's getting now.

If he's on £30k at Birmingham, his new contract could have been worth SIX TIMES what Albion put on the table, and that's not including the sign-on bonus.

And he gets to play football every week rather than warming a bench.

Win-win then. The Albion wanted him replaced as our number 1 and he's become even richer at Brum.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Overpaid
Overweight
Under motivated
Under performing
In Monk we trust
See ya later, fatty

No real surprise at some of these comments. In his Albion career, he seemed unable to keep his weight down for lengthy periods. This smacks of a lack of self discipline and reports off our training ground indicated that he was a long way from being the most diligent trainer. The club clearly felt it was time to move on. They knew that our keeper was going to be extremely busy in the PL and there was no room for ' mental walkabouts ' that Stockdale, for all his natural ability, is prone to.
He has been replaced by a smaller, more agile man, with quicker reflexes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Overpaid
Overweight
Under motivated
Under performing
In Monk we trust
See ya later, fatty

No real surprise at some of these comments. In his Albion career, he seemed unable to keep his weight down for lengthy periods. This smacks of a lack of self discipline and reports off our training ground indicated that he was a long way from being the most diligent trainer. The club clearly felt it was time to move on. They knew that our keeper was going to be extremely busy in the PL and there was no room for ' mental walkabouts ' that Stockdale, for all his natural ability, is prone to.
He has been replaced by a smaller, more agile man, with quicker reflexes.

:thumbsup:

The club were analytical, without the sentiment of us fans who didn't want anyone from the promotion squad to depart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here