Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale in the bottom 3

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
If brum get relegated, would he be the first player in history to be promoted one season and then relegated from the same division the following season?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I am not enjoying his fall from grace. I think he lacked confidence in his own abilities and I do think he struggles with weight issues (pot, kettle, black...). The two may also be linked now that chickens come home to roost.
Unless DHL are delivering them.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Villa wasn't the game that cost us the championship, and the goal was more down to Dunk, as Stockdale was unsighted.
We had 3 games to try to get 3 points. Norwich won without a shot on target, but the Bristol game was where we fell down.
To blame Stockdale for the lack of the title is disengenuous, to say the least.

His technique was awful and there is no doubt he was to blame for that goal IMO.

However, completely agree, it wasn’t that game or DS that cost us the title, if anything he contributed more than most to us going up......

I really don’t like the anti-Stockdale feeling or satisfaction at his apparent demise. For me the saves against Sheffield Wed, make him near legendary status for us.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think this is broadly right. And Stockers was my player of the season.

BUT, unfortunately, my abiding memory of him is letting that **** Grealish score in the last minute and deny us the title, swiftly followed by his elongated and melodramatic farewell to the fans. I couldn't help but contrast that with Glenn when he was clearly leaving in 2011, who kept his head down at the celebration and quietly made his exit.

Glenn would keep his head down at any celebration. A quiet man, and never one for the limelight.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
It did cost us the Championship title. Regardless of all the previous results last season, it came down the last few minutes of the season. We were leading 1-0 and Stockdale made a error from a routine shot. We drew the game and conceded the title

What odd logic. I suppose Solly March won us promotion then, regardless of all the previous results last season. We were leading 1-0 and March made the game safe from a routine goal. We won the game and got promoted.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
What odd logic. I suppose Solly March won us promotion then, regardless of all the previous results last season. We were leading 1-0 and March made the game safe from a routine goal. We won the game and got promoted.

As statements of mathematical fact based around a snapshot of time, these statements are I guess true...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

If we're going down the logical route it would be more accurate to say Butterfield won us promotion when he scored for Derby in the late kick-off.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Stockdale was an outstanding player for us.
Every bit as responsible for promotion as Knockaert, Muzza, Dunk, Duffy or Bruno.

Stockdale had let his contract run down and may have been looking for a decent deal after promotion.
It would seem to be the case, that the club had identified a better target and couldn't give DS what he wanted from his new contract.
Seemingly quite ruthless by the club... but it's a fairly cut-throat business.

I take no pleasure in seeing DS stuck at the bottom of the championship.
It must be pretty painful for him personally. He is the last player, I would wish that on.

Hopefully things will turn round for him

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
£100k a week? Really?

If they are paying that amount, they could have got a top international keeper.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
That's the only thing that really grinds my gears about the whole episode. He's been paid many thousands a week for many years. That's not 'security' - that's a lifestyle and level of comfort most of us can only dream of.

I'd rather he'd been honest and said that he was pissed off he wasn't going to be No. 1 any more.
My thoughts exactly.

If he's 'only' on £10k/week, that's half a million a year. Going on average pay, it would take someone 20 years to earn that.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016

At that moment in time if Stockdale had saved the routine shot then we would have won the title! Fact!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

They were down to 10 men and other than Pocognoli who tried his best to be their extra man at times, were awful and never looked like scoring.

The team as a whole were responsible for that unnecessarily nervous last 20 mins, seemingly inviting pressure on with a man advantage. However, it was our last chance to take the title and both Baldock and Stockdale have to take responsbility more than any for what transpired. A sitter missed and a routine save fumbled. We were pissed at Norwich and didn't turn up for Bristol which should have been the game we clinched it but unfortunately most will just remember the inexplicable events at villa.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
They were down to 10 men and other than Pocognoli who tried his best to be their extra man at times, were awful and never looked like scoring.

The team as a whole were responsible for that unnecessarily nervous last 20 mins, seemingly inviting pressure on with a man advantage. However, it was our last chance to take the title and both Baldock and Stockdale have to take responsbility more than any for what transpired. A sitter missed and a routine save fumbled. We were pissed at Norwich and didn't turn up for Bristol which should have been the game we clinched it but unfortunately most will just remember the inexplicable events at villa.

Like I say odd logic. Won't see me and thousands of others pointing the finger of blame on one player for one incident over the course of a season. Why should Stockdale and Baldock take more responsibility for those who were pissed before Norwich or too complacent against Bristol City or in the wrong formation against Huddersfield or unlucky against Newcastle or garbage against Cardiff etc?

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Like I say odd logic. Won't see me and thousands of others pointing the finger of blame on one player for one incident over the course of a season. Why should Stockdale and Baldock take more responsibility for those who were pissed before Norwich or too complacent against Bristol City or in the wrong formation against Huddersfield or unlucky against Newcastle or garbage against Cardiff etc?

The fact is the fumble conceded a goal in the last 3 minutes of the season. If he had saved it, like on countless times throughout the season, then we would have won the championship. Whatever transpired before hand during the season had got us to that point. If he had saved it, which he should have, then no one would have remembered it but the consequence of that fumble 3 minutes from the end of the season resulted in gifting the title to Newcastle. It was equivilant to a 'Smith must score' moment in our history. It is a team game but occasionally individual errors prove costly. Fortunately it only cost us the title and not promotion and we've all moved on to bigger and better things...except David.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Blessing in disguise really.

With him in goal this season I think we'd be well in the bottom 3 a long time ago.

Decent keeper for us mostly but did some bloody silly things and should of saved more. His world class saves tended to keep the heat off him.

Would of been found out big time in this league.

Ryan much much better

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The fact is the fumble conceded a goal in the last 3 minutes of the season. If he had saved it, like on countless times throughout the season, then we would have won the championship. Whatever transpired before hand during the season had got us to that point. If he had saved it, which he should have, then no one would have remembered it but the consequence of that fumble 3 minutes from the end of the season resulted in gifting the title to Newcastle. It was equivilant to a 'Smith must score' moment in our history. It is a team game but occasionally individual errors prove costly. Fortunately it only cost us the title and not promotion and we've all moved on to bigger and better things...except David.

You can't know that had he saved it we would have won the Championship.

It's entirely likely we would have seeing as were 0-1 up at 88mins but, as the Grealish goal proved, anything can happen in football. They could have scored in the 89th and then the 90th or the ref could have added 6 mins of added time and they could have gone on to score a freak six goals or something.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
“I’d like to apologise for my performance last night to all at BCFC. Fans/players/staff. I’m always honest and give my all and that wasn’t good enough from me. I thank all the fans for continued support. #KRO”

Very saddened to see this tweet from DS. As he says always a decent and honest man....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here