Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale in the bottom 3

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Still think our defence made him look good and that is being proved this season.
He had a few calamities with us and they could have been worse if not for the back row.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Agreed he was a key member of the squad last season and certainly made or or two key saves at key times (noticably Sheff We'd at home), but was prone to the odd gaff to, one of which cost us the Championship title on the last day of the season away at Villa. It just seems such a bizarre decision to swap Brighton for Birmingham, not only from footballing terms but from ANY terms! 'Arry must have turned his head and waived a bundle of fifties. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and l wonder, giving the way things have panned out, if he rues the decision now?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think the thing with Stockdale was that from an early point, we were after Maty Ryan. He probably knew that his time as no. 1(3) was coming to an end and got promised 1st team football elsewhere and a decent 3-year pay packet. Can't really blame him to be honest.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Very sad. This thread should not be on here. We owe him a great deal of respect for his efforts last year
He got a long contract and security for his family. We got a new, better keeper.

All turned out ok in the end. I wish him well, personally.
You both sum up my thoughts nicely. I'd also add that I too believe he could've fought for an England squad place if he'd played for us this season. He was a great keeper who had a clanger in him, but during our promotion season this hardly ever happened. The only English top flight keeper who genuinely impressed me last season was Tom Heaton. Heaton and Stockdale, how times change...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed he was a key member of the squad last season and certainly made or or two key saves at key times (noticably Sheff We'd at home), but was prone to the odd gaff to, one of which cost us the Championship title on the last day of the season away at Villa. It just seems such a bizarre decision to swap Brighton for Birmingham, not only from footballing terms but from ANY terms! 'Arry must have turned his head and waived a bundle of fifties. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and l wonder, giving the way things have panned out, if he rues the decision now?

Villa wasn't the game that cost us the championship, and the goal was more down to Dunk, as Stockdale was unsighted.
We had 3 games to try to get 3 points. Norwich won without a shot on target, but the Bristol game was where we fell down.
To blame Stockdale for the lack of the title is disengenuous, to say the least.

Lush

Mods' Pet
He got a long contract and security for his family. We got a new, better keeper.

All turned out ok in the end. I wish him well, personally.

That's the only thing that really grinds my gears about the whole episode. He's been paid many thousands a week for many years. That's not 'security' - that's a lifestyle and level of comfort most of us can only dream of.

I'd rather he'd been honest and said that he was pissed off he wasn't going to be No. 1 any more.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Villa wasn't the game that cost us the championship, and the goal was more down to Dunk, as Stockdale was unsighted.
We had 3 games to try to get 3 points. Norwich won without a shot on target, but the Bristol game was where we fell down.

This. All the pre-kickoff pomp and wankery basically gave Bristol their team talk.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

I think this is broadly right. And Stockers was my player of the season.

BUT, unfortunately, my abiding memory of him is letting that **** Grealish score in the last minute and deny us the title, swiftly followed by his elongated and melodramatic farewell to the fans. I couldn't help but contrast that with Glenn when he was clearly leaving in 2011, who kept his head down at the celebration and quietly made his exit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think this is broadly right. And Stockers was my player of the season.

BUT, unfortunately, my abiding memory of him is letting that **** Grealish score in the last minute and deny us the title, swiftly followed by his elongated and melodramatic farewell to the fans. I couldn't help but contrast that with Glenn when he was clearly leaving in 2011, who kept his head down at the celebration and quietly made his exit.

It was the elongated farewell at Villa that told me he was going. He knew then, and in fact knew quite a while before that, because he wouldn't sign an extension to his contract. Baldock also missed a sitter to make it 2-0.
He made his choice, and we've got a good keeper now. I don't like all this pointing the finger and laughing at his downfall now.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
I am not enjoying his fall from grace. I think he lacked confidence in his own abilities and I do think he struggles with weight issues (pot, kettle, black...). The two may also be linked now that chickens come home to roost.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He's having a similar season to his first season here - bit overweight, very exposed and conceding goal after goal in a team which is struggling to score.

The difference is they haven't appointed a Hughton to get them out of trouble.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
David Stockdale was responsible for us winning anywhere between 9-12 points last season. Some of his performances were absolutely exceptional.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
David Stockdale was responsible for us winning anywhere between 9-12 points last season. Some of his performances were absolutely exceptional.

and for us losing a few points also...one or two of his performances were absolutely un-exceptional, particularly at a crucial phase of the season

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
He's a footballer who's playing regularly, we moan when someone takes the money and doesn't play, good luck to him. Mind you looking at the highlights of last night he probably wished he'd missed that one!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Money seems to be the motivating factor for him and he is picking up £ 100k a week so he is probably not that bothered

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016

It did cost us the Championship title. Regardless of all the previous results last season, it came down the last few minutes of the season. We were leading 1-0 and Stockdale made a error from a routine shot. We drew the game and conceded the title

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here