Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hodgson on talkSPORT just now

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Firstly, fair play to Jim White for getting the interview - it's one a lot of people wanted.

But Roy is deluded, in complete denial, about his time with England. He is still defending it and saying he was happy with how it went - along the lines of 'it was only in tournaments we were sh!te, in qualifiers we were okay'. But that's how you are judged as England manager!

Whatever your views on him as a manager I always thought he was a decent bloke - until he initially refused to do a press conference after the Iceland defeat. Very cowardly.

We'll see what happens, but I think Palace needed a galvanizing, inspirational character to lift the place (like a Warnock). That is not Roy as we all know, and organisation may not be enough.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We're in danger of all becoming a little too transfixed by what's happening with Palace on this board. I don't give a monkeys what they are up to right now.

(that said, I read the post)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
i thought we needed an inspirational appointment after Sami left, and thought CH was not the man for that job, how wrong I was...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I have to say that I still very much like the way Hodgson comes across and think he's a decent sort. I also think he's a better manager than some give him credit for.

Obviously I'm willing him to desperate failure this time, but can't bring it in me to talk the bloke down.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whatever your views on him as a manager I always thought he was a decent bloke - until he initially refused to do a press conference after the Iceland defeat. Very cowardly.

He sat down in that interview and said "I don't know what I'm doing here". Yes Roy. We certainly gathered that.

Harry Kane on corners anyone ?

Then there was the day Iceland - who by then we knew would likely be our opponents in the last 16 - were playing Austria in Paris. Roy was in Paris too. Not for the game though. He was on a boat trip on the Seine, because "Ray (Lewington) has never seen Paris". Had he scouted that game, he may have noticed Icelands moderately effective tactic of launching big long throws deep into the box onto a big Nordic head to flick-on and score. Maybe he read about it, or watched the highlights, who knows.

But we all know what went and happened. Its that kind of attention to detail that really sets managers apart, dontcha think.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Then there was the day Iceland - who by then we knew would likely be our opponents in the last 16 - were playing Austria in Paris. Roy was in Paris too. Not for the game though. He was on a boat trip on the Seine, because "Ray (Lewington) has never seen Paris". Had he scouted that game, he may have noticed Icelands moderately effective tactic of launching big long throws deep into the box onto a big Nordic head to flick-on and score. Maybe he read about it, or watched the highlights, who knows.

But we all know what went and happened. Its that kind of attention to detail that really sets managers apart, dontcha think.

This appeared on the morning of the match, in all English newspapers (and yes, I know this one's the Daily Star!). Iceland's not-so-secret tactic. Then within 6 minutes, he lands one on the head of one centre-half, who flicks on for the other one...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/525637/Iceland-Aroon-Gunnarsson-tactic-England

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Personally, I think it's dangerous to underestimate Hodgson based on his England tenure... It's killed off both netter and worse managers' careers. Liverpool is a red herring too. Dalglish was briefing against him from the moment he signed on.

His tenure at Fulham and West Brom show that at the right, mid-sized club, he can be a success. Whether he will be in his 70's remains to be seen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Then there was the day Iceland - who by then we knew would likely be our opponents in the last 16 - were playing Austria in Paris. Roy was in Paris too. Not for the game though.
Its that kind of attention to detail that really sets managers apart, dontcha think.
Wait, you're suggesting that managers watch their opponents' games? A bit OTT don't you think?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally, I think it's dangerous to underestimate Hodgson based on his England tenure... It's killed off both netter and worse managers' careers. Liverpool is a red herring too. Dalglish was briefing against him from the moment he signed on.

His tenure at Fulham and West Brom show that at the right, mid-sized club, he can be a success. Whether he will be in his 70's remains to be seen.
He got Fulham to the Europa league after a tremendous season in the Prem the year before.

If that is a worry to you, then please don't because it should also be pointed out that Fulham picked up just nine points from Hodgson's first thirteen league games. What do you think will happen if that happens this time round? :cheers:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Got to agree with this. He is not completely useless, despite his failings in the England job. He could be just what Palarse need, steady ship, even keel and all that. I think his biggest challenge is effecting change before the axe starts swinging again. He is not exactly dynamic and this lot need a strong leader with a clear direction. This, plus the tinkering influence from Prince Charming and his court of jesters may be too much for old Woy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wait, you're suggesting that managers watch their opponents' games? A bit OTT don't you think?

I appreciate its a fairly radical concept, but I think it could really catch on with some managers.

We're at home to Stoke a week before we play Palace. I'm looking forward to catching up with the shots of Roy on the pier with a toffee apple and a giant stuffed panda while we do battle with those Potters.

SAC

May 21, 2014
He was a good manager, who knows what he is going to be like now though. Also, he's bound to retire at the end of the season starting the whole process off once again.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We're in danger of all becoming a little too transfixed by what's happening with Palace on this board. I don't give a monkeys what they are up to right now.

(that said, I read the post)

This ...... I mean, who gives a flying cfku what happens at that Croydon shithole???

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
He got Fulham to the Europa league after a tremendous season in the Prem the year before.

If that is a worry to you, then please don't because it should also be pointed out that Fulham picked up just nine points from Hodgson's first thirteen league games. What do you think will happen if that happens this time round? :cheers:

Most importantly he doesn't have Bobby Zamora this time.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought the spoof interview on Absolute Radio this morning (must have been just after 7:30) was brilliant. Had me crying with laughter, which is not my usual demeanour whilst parked on the M25.

Just wish I could remember some of the great lines "he" came out with.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The Beeb had an item on their site yesterday and, oddly, Hodgson's win ratio was between 34-36% for each of his last five teams, regardless of their "stature". Palace have 34 matches left to play. If Hodgson picks up where he left off at club level then Palace will win 11-12 of their remaining games. That would be 33-36 points excluding any points from draws. That would see them safe.

That's disappointing.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

13 ? What's 4 into 13 ?

More records to come yet, dont fret everyone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here