Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hodgson on talkSPORT just now

0 Not allowed!
    Firstly, fair play to Jim White for getting the interview - it's one a lot of people wanted.

But Roy is deluded, in complete denial, about his time with England. He is still defending it and saying he was happy with how it went - along the lines of 'it was only in tournaments we were sh!te, in qualifiers we were okay'. But that's how you are judged as England manager!

Whatever your views on him as a manager I always thought he was a decent bloke - until he initially refused to do a press conference after the Iceland defeat. Very cowardly.

We'll see what happens, but I think Palace needed a galvanizing, inspirational character to lift the place (like a Warnock). That is not Roy as we all know, and organisation may not be enough.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

6 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

We'll see what happens, but I think Palace needed a galvanizing, inspirational character to lift the place (like a Warnock). That is not Roy as we all know, and organisation may not be enough.
      let's hope not, eh.

23 Not allowed!
      We're in danger of all becoming a little too transfixed by what's happening with Palace on this board. I don't give a monkeys what they are up to right now.

(that said, I read the post)
      Either that wallpaper goes or I do

9 Not allowed!
      i thought we needed an inspirational appointment after Sami left, and thought CH was not the man for that job, how wrong I was...
      I have to give it to you Mr Hughton, you are a far better Manager than I ever thought.

7 Not allowed!
      I have to say that I still very much like the way Hodgson comes across and think he's a decent sort. I also think he's a better manager than some give him credit for.

Obviously I'm willing him to desperate failure this time, but can't bring it in me to talk the bloke down.
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista

7 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Gull View Post
      Whatever your views on him as a manager I always thought he was a decent bloke - until he initially refused to do a press conference after the Iceland defeat. Very cowardly.
      He sat down in that interview and said "I don't know what I'm doing here". Yes Roy. We certainly gathered that.

Harry Kane on corners anyone ?

Then there was the day Iceland - who by then we knew would likely be our opponents in the last 16 - were playing Austria in Paris. Roy was in Paris too. Not for the game though. He was on a boat trip on the Seine, because "Ray (Lewington) has never seen Paris". Had he scouted that game, he may have noticed Icelands moderately effective tactic of launching big long throws deep into the box onto a big Nordic head to flick-on and score. Maybe he read about it, or watched the highlights, who knows.

But we all know what went and happened. Its that kind of attention to detail that really sets managers apart, dontcha think.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
      We're in danger of all becoming a little too transfixed by what's happening with Palace on this board. I don't give a monkeys what they are up to right now.

(that said, I read the post)
      I'm paying attention because it's funny that the arrogant and hypocritical *******s are imploding.
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      As I said I dont know just assumed

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post

Then there was the day Iceland - who by then we knew would likely be our opponents in the last 16 - were playing Austria in Paris. Roy was in Paris too. Not for the game though. He was on a boat trip on the Seine, because "Ray (Lewington) has never seen Paris". Had he scouted that game, he may have noticed Icelands moderately effective tactic of launching big long throws deep into the box onto a big Nordic head to flick-on and score. Maybe he read about it, or watched the highlights, who knows.

But we all know what went and happened. Its that kind of attention to detail that really sets managers apart, dontcha think.
      This appeared on the morning of the match, in all English newspapers (and yes, I know this one's the Daily Star!). Iceland's not-so-secret tactic. Then within 6 minutes, he lands one on the head of one centre-half, who flicks on for the other one...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/foo...tactic-England

1 Not allowed!
      Personally, I think it's dangerous to underestimate Hodgson based on his England tenure... It's killed off both netter and worse managers' careers. Liverpool is a red herring too. Dalglish was briefing against him from the moment he signed on.

His tenure at Fulham and West Brom show that at the right, mid-sized club, he can be a success. Whether he will be in his 70's remains to be seen.
      Eternally hopeful...

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      Then there was the day Iceland - who by then we knew would likely be our opponents in the last 16 - were playing Austria in Paris. Roy was in Paris too. Not for the game though.
      Its that kind of attention to detail that really sets managers apart, dontcha think.
      Wait, you're suggesting that managers watch their opponents' games? A bit OTT don't you think?
      Checking the league table