Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup tickets - sales start tomorrow (Sep 14)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Quite a few people I know, even England regulars at tournaments, are thinking of giving Russia a swerve. Presumably their hoolies are a major factor.

But anyone still thinking of going? Never been myself, and was half-thinking about it, as some great cities and stuff to see.

Might even 'compromise' and go to the bizarre Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad for a couple of games, which is probably calmer and easy to get to via Poland.

Thoughts?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Continual threats of violence and racism throughout?

England's performance in recent tournaments?

The manner in which the tournament was awarded?

No.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Continual threats of violence and racism throughout?

England's performance in recent tournaments?

The manner in which the tournament was awarded?

No.

All fair points, even if England isn't the only reason some go to a World Cup - and you have to suspect visitor numbers will be well down on usual European country levels for World Cups and Euros. Maybe the tournament won't be the usual party as a result.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Quite a few people I know, even England regulars at tournaments, are thinking of giving Russia a swerve. Presumably their hoolies are a major factor.

But anyone still thinking of going? Never been myself, and was half-thinking about it, as some great cities and stuff to see.

Might even 'compromise' and go to the bizarre Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad for a couple of games, which is probably calmer and easy to get to via Poland.

Thoughts?

One of the guys at work never misses an England game but is going nowhere near Russia. He explained what it was like when we lost to Russia 2-1 away when McClown was in charge when we failed dismally to qualify for the 2008 Euro's.

The night before the game, they went for a pint and left a bar wandering back to the hotel. As they left, he bent down to tie his shoe lace up and saw everyone he was with legging it the other way when a big group of Russians tipped off where the English were came round the corner. The bar they left was locked and they ended up running to another hotel guarded by a tank. The downstairs hotel area was like a hospital triage centre with stories of being attacked on the underground, by the hotel - basically anywhere in the city. He said at the game the next day, everyone had a war story to tell and an injury to go with it.

No chance. I'd rather go to Qatar.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
All fair points, even if England isn't the only reason some go to a World Cup - and you have to suspect visitor numbers will be well down on usual European country levels for World Cups and Euros. Maybe the tournament won't be the usual party as a result.

I hope and pray it's a f****** disaster. FIFA deserve to get shat on.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think around 20,000 England fans went to Brazil - likely to be a lot lower. And nothing like the 300,000 from England, North Ireland and Wales in France last year.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Russian thugs from France will be back in their uniforms on duty policing the games.

I'd avoid it all to be honest.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I've been a regular at tournaments in the past but I am giving this one a miss.

Went to Russia for an England game a few years ago and everything about the trip was poor other than the football (which we lost 2-1).

Things that concern me about going to this tournament:

1) Hooligans - you will suffer this in some way, whether you actually get hit is luck (even for our one game a few years ago our hotel was petrol bombed). If you watched that documentary about hooligans preparing for the world cup you would not go. it is that bad.
2) Travel - Roads around Moscow are a nightmare, taxi drivers are nutters. If you are travelling from city to city in Russia there is a lot of miles between each so driving may not be an option. Flying is cary as Russian aircraft have the worst safety in the world.
3) Food - dreadful just dreadful
4) The people - don't expect anyone to smile, they rarely do. The opposite of Americans, which is no bad thing, but not exactly a warm and welcoming place.
5) Police/army - grouped together because there is little between them. The bigger the hat, the more brutal they seem to be.
6) Flights to get there - expensive and quite possibly needs one or two changes depending on where you are going, see point 2).

I think this summarises it for me. Would like to go, but my brain says no, save your money for Qatar.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I've already plumped the cushions up on the sofa in readiness, so not wanting to waste that effort, I'll be watching on the TV, with a nice plate of mince & onions. Lovely stuff.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Absolutely no interest in either this or Qatar. Both corrupt tournaments. If the World Cup can return to being a football tournament by 2026 then I may take an interest. FIFA is a rancid organisation that has removed a lot of joy from the Beautiful Game.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've been a regular at tournaments in the past but I am giving this one a miss.

Went to Russia for an England game a few years ago and everything about the trip was poor other than the football (which we lost 2-1).

Things that concern me about going to this tournament:

1) Hooligans - you will suffer this in some way, whether you actually get hit is luck (even for our one game a few years ago our hotel was petrol bombed). If you watched that documentary about hooligans preparing for the world cup you would not go. it is that bad.
2) Travel - Roads around Moscow are a nightmare, taxi drivers are nutters. If you are travelling from city to city in Russia there is a lot of miles between each so driving may not be an option. Flying is cary as Russian aircraft have the worst safety in the world.
3) Food - dreadful just dreadful
4) The people - don't expect anyone to smile, they rarely do. The opposite of Americans, which is no bad thing, but not exactly a warm and welcoming place.
5) Police/army - grouped together because there is little between them. The bigger the hat, the more brutal they seem to be.
6) Flights to get there - expensive and quite possibly needs one or two changes depending on where you are going, see point 2).

I think this summarises it for me. Would like to go, but my brain says no, save your money for Qatar.

Good summary. I know I won't go to Qatar, on football pedigree grounds I found that bent decision even more distasteful than Russia, which at least has some history in European football (and countries like Switzerland and Sweden have hosted World Cups).

Going to be an old man by the time 2026 World Cup comes around, though Canada/US/Mexico would be good if that gets the nod! The pan-European Euros in 2020 might not be great, hard to get the same atmosphere when the tournament takes in so many countries. But Wembley should get games.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here