Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iceland (the country, not the shop) - worth the cost?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My gf and I are considering a week in Iceland in Nov - northern lights, blue lagoon, yada, yada.

Thing is, I can't really think of anything to replace "yada, yada" with and I was shocked at the prices of everything other than the flight (average airbnb price is £115, food looks dear etc). It's not the cost per se that's the issue, it's the thought that we could easily go much further afield for the same price - Boston or St Petersburg, for example.

Is there more to do/see in Iceland that make it worth what seems to be very high prices?

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Iceland is very expensive food and drink wise too, at least it was when I went years ago. There are tons of waterfalls to go see, best 2 for me were Gullfoss and Seljalandsfoss. There are also glacier hikes, some where you can walk through the glacier caves too. You can go whale watching, but I believe the Icelandic still prefer to hunt them

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
My gf and I are considering a week in Iceland in Nov - northern lights, blue lagoon, yada, yada.

Thing is, I can't really think of anything to replace "yada, yada" with and I was shocked at the prices of everything other than the flight (average airbnb price is £115, food looks dear etc). It's not the cost per se that's the issue, it's the thought that we could easily go much further afield for the same price - Boston or St Petersburg, for example.

Is there more to do/see in Iceland that make it worth what seems to be very high prices?

Edna's just come back from there ?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
In my opinion, no. Very expensive to get to, to eat and drink, the offerings are not great and the place dreary. Yes there are parts which are breath taking, as there are in many other parts of the World, I wouldn't go again and, based on the experience, with hindsight shouldn't have gone in the first place.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Full Icelandic's who generally are CJTCs*.

* My opinion might be tainted by working for one in the past.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Take as much food and alcohol with you as possible, watch out for midges too

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
NSC's collective decision, thus far at least, appears to be no. It's high up on my wish list, but might use it for a shorter break.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I went for a few days and drove around a lot of it. It was a great trip, but I'm not sure I would find enough to do for a week there. Also, the daylight hours aren't great in November, which may limit what you can do/see. One of the most interesting/bizarre bits for me was coming out of a restaurant at gone 12 and it still being light!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1000% yes from me. Did 4 nights in winter, was absolutely stunning. Food and drink we found expensive but very good, we also found the locals very friendly. Northern Lights, Blue Lagoon, Game of Thrones tour and general sightseeing is what we did.

Last edited:

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
1,000% yes from me. Did 4 nights in winter, was absolutely stunning. Food and drink we found expensive but very good, we also found the locals very friendly. Northern Lights, Blue Lagoon, Game of Thrones tour and general sightseeing is what we did.

I'm going in Dec; on the GOT tour did you go to most of the same tourist stops as the golden circle tour?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
There's a free half-day city tour as well by a very good guide. Just tip at the end what you want.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm going in Dec; on the GOT tour did you go to most of the same tourist stops as the golden circle tour?

I think so, couple of years back so memory a bit hazy, but definitely went to a couple of locations that I did (at least faintly) recognise from scenes in the show. Was good just to see the frozen waterfalls and really rugged terrain anyhow.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Been twice.

4 days/3 nights enough for Reykjavik and best excursions - Northern Lights, Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle. Forget Air BnB - book package with Icelandair. Food/drink mega-expensive, so be prepared to cut corners.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I've booked to go in December; yes everything is super expensive but to see waterfalls, glaciers, northern lights etc it'll be an experience and worth the cost. Chose to go via easy jet and got a reasonably nice Airbnb in the city centre (about £300 each for flights and 4 nights)

I've booked a tour for northern lights, but I've yet to book any other trips (primarily due to cost) so any advice on whats a must do and nice to haves would be amazing! Looking at combining the Golden circle and the blue lagoon into a single trip; would you recommend separating these trips to separate days to allow more time? Any trip advice is welcome :D

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I went 16 years ago. Food was ridiculously expensive and not brilliant and there was not that much to do (unless you're into your geology and walking on bleak/barren terrain) except the big set pieces (Blue Lagoon, Gullfoss, Geysir, Thingvellir, pardon the spelling). However, those places were well worth seeing and the outdoor swimming pools everywhere were also great. A week sounds like too much to me unless you're willing to spend £££ on special trips or are happy mooching around a very small capital city for one or two days.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Go for the longer trip. We drove there in our Bongo camper. 600 miles to northern Denmark and then 3 days on the ferry and then 4 weeks driving around the island for 5,000 miles. Incredible place. Didn't stay in a hotel once and only a few nights on a campsite. Just us, the elements and £25 5L wine boxes from the Vinbudin. Not many geological features you won't find. Great walking. Brilliant heated outdoor pools in every small settlement.

That was 2 years ago and already thinking of going back next year. Days will be very short in November.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here