Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Members

4 Not allowed!
    You could email Palace and ask Roy Hodgson what he knows about Iceland........

• North Stand Chat

advertising

The Disowned Masses

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by knocky1 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Go for the longer trip. We drove there in our Bongo camper. 600 miles to northern Denmark and then 3 days on the ferry and then 4 weeks driving around the island for 5,000 miles. Incredible place. Didn't stay in a hotel once and only a few nights on a campsite. Just us, the elements and £25 5L wine boxes from the Vinbudin. Not many geological features you won't find. Great walking. Brilliant heated outdoor pools in every small settlement.

That was 2 years ago and already thinking of going back next year. Days will be very short in November.
      Wow. That ticks all the boxes for me.

Having discussed this with @edna krabappel and other friends who have been there it is high up my to do list. I LOVE earth sciences, geology included, and Iceland has sooo much of that to see.

I am well aware that it's pricey, but cheaper places don't have the same sights to see.

I need to get myself made redundant in June / July again and have the summer off to do such a long trip (they aren't keen on people taking 3+ weeks off here), but that trips sounds amazing.

On the assumption we won't be taking our camper van there soon, I do fancy a family short break there some time soon.
      Follow @kmoorman1968 on Twitter

Visit my Devon Gold Prospecting Blog
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post

Having discussed this with @edna krabappel and other friends who have been there it is high up my to do list. I LOVE earth sciences, geology included, and Iceland has sooo much of that to see.

I am well aware that it's pricey, but cheaper places don't have the same sights to see.

I need to get myself made redundant in June / July again and have the summer off to do such a long trip (they aren't keen on people taking 3+ weeks off here), but that trips sounds amazing.

On the assumption we won't be taking our camper van there soon, I do fancy a family short break there some time soon.
      Stayed in this place for a couple of nights: http://www.frostogfuni.is

Brilliant walk into the hills where you can bath in hot streams. Worth a look if you are planning a trip.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      My gf and I are considering a week in Iceland in Nov - northern lights, blue lagoon, yada, yada.

Thing is, I can't really think of anything to replace "yada, yada" with and I was shocked at the prices of everything other than the flight (average airbnb price is £115, food looks dear etc). It's not the cost per se that's the issue, it's the thought that we could easily go much further afield for the same price - Boston or St Petersburg, for example.

Is there more to do/see in Iceland that make it worth what seems to be very high prices?
      Had a wonderful break with the missus and stayed in a couple of places with this being the best http://www.frostogfuni.is

Was a completely memorable trip where we saw some amazing things, and would love to go back.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      I think so, couple of years back so memory a bit hazy, but definitely went to a couple of locations that I did (at least faintly) recognise from scenes in the show. Was good just to see the frozen waterfalls and really rugged terrain anyhow.
      Awesome; lots to consider now since I hadn't realised GOT was partly filmed in Iceland.. Just got back from Seville and saw the palaces used in GOT which was quite something! (thoroughly recommend btw)

0 Not allowed!
      Went 6 years ago in Feb and had one of the best experience s. As above and watching a football match on the frozen lake in the centre of the city. 100% recommend.
      Objective but passionate

0 Not allowed!
      Another yes vote here.

Have spent a week or more, on at least 10 separate occasions in Reykjavik, Kopurvagur, Reyjanesbaer all for work, and absolutely adore the place.

The scenery is unique if not PRETTY, and there might not be all that much to actually DO, but that's not what the place is about, for me. Its all about the PEOPLE who in my (pretty extensive) experience, are all absolutely LOVELY. The woman are generally beautiful, too, which is nice.
      Stand or Fall
      The Disowned Masses

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
      Another yes vote here.

Have spent a week or more, on at least 10 separate occasions in Reykjavik, Kopurvagur, Reyjanesbaer all for work, and absolutely adore the place.

The scenery is unique if not PRETTY, and there might not be all that much to actually DO, but that's not what the place is about, for me. Its all about the PEOPLE who in my (pretty extensive) experience, are all absolutely LOVELY. The woman are generally beautiful, too, which is nice.
      So @Goldstone1976 maybe a place to visit without the GF?
      Follow @kmoorman1968 on Twitter

Visit my Devon Gold Prospecting Blog
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post

Right up your street. Where else can you have one bollock on the North American tectonic plate and the other one on the Eurasion tectonic plate? Be great for your snow thread, as well.

0 Not allowed!
      My favourite short trip. Plenty to do. Would recommend the Golden Circle Tour which for breathtaking sightseeing including waterfalls and Geysirs.

Also, don't expect to see the lights. Just see it as an added bonus if you do.

The food can be very expensive, but you can eat cheap(er) in pizza places and supermarkets. Would recommend Roadhouse as a decent and reasonably priced place to eat. http://www.roadhouse.is/ and make sure you check out 'The worlds greatest hot dog' at Bęjarins Beztu Pylsur