Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO, Crystal Palace

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
It did happen. 100%

I was told this a few days after the game by someone who was involved directly with the match.

I don't doubt for one minute that, at the time, Holloway and Poyet genuinely believed it was someone from Brighton, however it didn't take long for the actual story to emerge.

The coach driver turned up at the Player of the Year event and confessed? Proof please.

There is a video of the circumstances which I described.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The coach driver turned up at the Player of the Year event and confessed? Proof please.

My comment was specifically related to who did the deed and the fact that your player's story was known to be the case very soon after the game, way before he told his 'hypothetical' story.

A quick google shows me Mccarthy's comments were from January 15....with 'poogate' happening in May 13. So that's 20 months after it was already known,

I have no idea about the coach driver turning up to any party.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
No there isn't. There is a video of McCarthy explaining the truth. No reference is made to anything hypothetical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyJOe9Cgly8

There is not a lot of point trying to maintain the spin when there is video evidence to prove you wrong.

What spin? ? ?
A friend of mine is a palace STH and a couple of years ago I'm given to understand that the coach driver turned up at the end of season "do" giving it large about all the shenanigans of that night.

To which I said "Didn't happen."

The coach driver does not appear in the video. Have you any evidence to show that he did turn up?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
What spin? The coach driver does not appear in the video. I said that his appearance at the Player of the Year award did not happen. Have you any evidence to refute this?

(On a separate matter, what you judge to be truth, I'm pretty certain is telling a funny story to play to the gallery. You're at liberty to your view, which I don't take issue with. Pretty sure that almost no-one knows what actually happened for certain.)

As mejona12 says, I also knew a few days after the incident, because I spoke to the first Brighton employee Ian Holloway spoke to as he came out of the changing room. At that time IH believed it was a Brighton employee responsible, but it soon emerged what had really happened.
In addition, the coach driver had also had a bad stomach at the team's hotel and a Brighton fan was employed there, so knew what had gone on.

I don't believe the story about the coach driver attending an end of season do, as [MENTION=3913]blue'n'white[/MENTION] posted, because coach drivers are not direct employees of the club, but hired in the same way as taxi drivers, albeit a regular driver for team games.

I do believe the video as posted above, as it confirms what I was told within days of the incident, and became fairly common knowledge amongst Brighton fans. Your players just confirmed it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The coach driver does not appear in the video. Have you any evidence to show that he did turn up?

He doesn't have to does he. Your smirking player had already given the lowdown on what happened.

And all the time, the people in the know at your grubby little club kept schtum, whilst BHA put up with the pisstaking and lurid headlines and conducted an internal investigation that could quite easily have resulted in some members of staff losing their jobs over the incident.

Not that CPFC2010 would've been bothered, obviously. Rancid, classless institution from top to bottom.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
As mejona12 says, I also knew a few days after the incident, because I spoke to the first Brighton employee Ian Holloway spoke to as he came out of the changing room. At that time IH believed it was a Brighton employee responsible, but it soon emerged what had really happened.
In addition, the coach driver had also had a bad stomach at the team's hotel and a Brighton fan was employed there, so knew what had gone on.

I don't believe the story about the coach driver attending an end of season do, as [MENTION=3913]blue'n'white[/MENTION] posted, because coach drivers are not direct employees of the club, but hired in the same way as taxi drivers, albeit a regular driver for team games.

I do believe the video as posted above, as it confirms what I was told within days of the incident, and became fairly common knowledge amongst Brighton fans. Your players just confirmed it.

Thanks, very interesting. I can see that there is enough circumstantial evidence for this hypothesis to be taken seriously.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Thanks, very interesting. I can see that there is enough circumstantial evidence for this hypothesis to be taken seriously.

Whoa there Del, that's very nearly an apology, and we all know your club doesn't do that.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
He doesn't have to does he. Your smirking player had already given the lowdown on what happened.

And all the time, the people in the know at your grubby little club kept schtum, whilst BHA put up with the pisstaking and lurid headlines and conducted an internal investigation that could quite easily have resulted in some members of staff losing their jobs over the incident.

Not that CPFC2010 would've been bothered, obviously. Rancid, classless institution from top to bottom.

This.

Seriously Del Fenner, what the **** are you doing on here splitting hairs about some urban legend? It really shows the class of your outfit that nothing has been said about it.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
This.

Seriously Del Fenner, what the **** are you doing on here splitting hairs about some urban legend? It really shows the class of your outfit that nothing has been said about it.

End of thread, The WC has spoken. :D

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It seems fairly obvious that you are being disingenuous, but let's play it your way and spell it out clearly. You said:

Didn't happen.

At said event, a Palace player told a hypothetical funny story. How funny depends on your allegiance.

You were correct that the coach driver didn't turn up and tell the story. You were wrong that a Palace player told a hypothetical story.

There is not video of the circumstances you described. There is video of Paddy McCarthy telling the story. He makes no reference to anything being 'hypothetical'. Therefore, it is not the circumstances you described. I didn't argue with your statement about the coach driver.

What spin? ? ?

To which I said "Didn't happen."

The intent is fairly obvious. You have concentrated on arguing about the part of the post that you got correct and left out any reference to the part of the post that you got plain wrong; the part of the post that I specifically corrected with reference to the word 'hypothetical'. You are still referring to the part of your post that I didn't dispute, pretending that I had argued with the statement about the coach driver which I evidently did not.

I stopped short of calling it a lie and called it 'spin' because you did address part of the truth, the irrelevant bit. You omitted the other part of the truth that was inconvenient to your argument: Call it cherry picking, straw man, aunt sally, or red herring, its a dishonest means of argument regardless of description. The relevant fact is that McCarthy has evidenced that Palace knew the truth, but were willing to let Brighton's innocent employees suffer the disapprobation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here