Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Given the way he tracked back with that excellent tackle at the Watford game, shows the desire and commitment to do well.
    Give him a go on Friday, if to replace Solly or Knocky, it is going to be a long season, so let's see what he can do over 90 mins.
    Knocky & Solly deserve to keep their place after sat imo, but would like Jose to get a good 20/30 mins. Surprised he didnt get on at the weekend

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      The club approach isn't 'moneyball' as per the A's, it's just simple economics.

Every step of the way. the club has lead us to believe Tony has been priced out of the relevant market, it found itself in.
      So the club has had to look elsewhere, in locations where the market is on a par with the Albion's buying expectations.
      Correct. Tony Bloom has categorically rejected any comparison between his approach and the way Billy Beane ran the Oakland A's as described in Moneyball. He said as much in his session with the national press before the Man City game and also asked for a reference to Moneyball to be removed from the book Brighton Up. As he said then, Moneyball applies to baseball, a largely static sport in which there are a limited and defined number of outcomes in any given situation. Football, on the other hand, is fluid and has an almost infinite number of possibilities. There is no statistic in football comparable to OBP (on-base percentage) in baseball that is undervalued by rich clubs.

There's no realistic comparison beyond a desire to get better value for your money than your competitors do.

2 Not allowed!
      Great having a devoted fan who is also something of a genius as owner and chairman. Merson can fornicate off with his poorly researched and ill judged opinions. Worse than a pub bore.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simontheseagull View Post
      I like the dig at Paul Merson in the article.
      Merson has been royally winding me up this season. There was a thing on Sky where he talked about how well he thought Knockaert played. I thought the Gooner windbag was going to cry as he reluctantly heaped praise on us.
      I'm in the mood for ska
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by KZNSeagull View Post
      You can call it economics if you like, but it certainly isn't simple. It is about getting the best value out of your budget by using Star lizards analytics to find the bargain buys. This is not 12 rolls of toilet roll type bargains that your fingers may or may not go through when wiping, this is about finding better players than those available in the UK at a fraction of the price. Not a simple thing to do at all.

Most obvious example is AK.
      This

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Claude samdamme View Post
      Knocky & Solly deserve to keep their place after sat imo, but would like Jose to get a good 20/30 mins. Surprised he didnt get on at the weekend
      For whom? Solly, Knocky and Gros all played a blinder. Hughton would have taken off one of them for a central midfielder if we had one on the bench.
      I'm in the mood for ska
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by wallyback View Post
      I wasn't looking at his cost, just that his stats were good in a particular area - creating chances. May be I don't have a full working knowledge of MoneyBall then.
      Could be argued that we are working on his physical contribution to compete in the Premier
      I think the miles he put in on the pitch were highest in his division last year too.
      Posted by Kosh, 19/7/2016 - 14th - 11th this year, or I'll eat my big Ritchie Blackmore hat.

0 Not allowed!
      Fairly interesting article without much substance to back up the theory. It would have been interesting to see how we derived value from players (or perceived value)

I prefer this piece which is more analytical. Based on Pascal G.

http://bundesligafanatic.com/song-of...s-pascal-gros/

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Great having a devoted fan who is also something of a genius as owner and chairman. Merson can fornicate off with his poorly researched and ill judged opinions. Worse than a pub bore.
      I don't know how Merson keeps his SSN job. I like all the others in the Saturday afternoon team - they all offer something coherent, sober, intelligent and with a wealth of football knowledge.

Long before this summer's anti Albion jibes, I couldn't stand Merson on the box. Thick as shite remarks, know-it-all vendettas against clubs such as Spurs and Liverpool, along with the predictable slagging off of Wenger.

Shirley from the thousands of ex players and managers, there are better options for SSN than Merson.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      I don't know how Merson keeps his SSN job. I like all the others in the Saturday afternoon team - they all offer something coherent, sober, intelligent and with a wealth of football knowledge.

Long before this summer's anti Albion jibes, I couldn't stand Merson on the box. Thick as shite remarks, and know-it-all vendettas against clubs such as Spurs and Liverpool, along with the predictable slagging off of Wenger.

Shirley from the thousands of ex players and managers, there are better options for SSN than Merson.
      Spot on. Absolute **** of the highest order. We need a song about him for our live televised games.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"