Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Dean Court

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do worry about Bournemouth getting sucked into building a new stadium. Don't get me wrong, I wish them all the best, but until the fan based is well-established they are in danger of doing a Darlington and building a massive white elephant. And to be clear, I want them to survive this year. We need more clubs of significant size in the south, not less. For too long, and for obvious historical reasons, the north has had more clubs of size than the south (I exclude London from this).

How are they supposed to establish a bigger fan base if the ground is already full every match. Darlington is a poor example to use, tiny town in comparison to the Bournemouth conurbation (approx 500k)

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tokyohands View Post
      Although it's on the same ground I reckon you get a tick for the 'old' Dean Court and another for 'new' Dean Court on your lists.
      On that basis, can I get 4 ticks for Brighton?
      As it stands, there are eight 0's in the whole PL table.
      Chrystal Palace have half of them.

Wins 0, Draws 0, Goals 0, Points 0.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Poole Horn View Post
      How are they supposed to establish a bigger fan base if the ground is already full every match. Darlington is a poor example to use, tiny town in comparison to the Bournemouth conurbation (approx 500k)
      Darlington were also at the arse-end of the 4th divison and playing in front of gates of 3,000-4,000, as they had throughout their entire history, so quite why George Reynolds decided they needed a 25,000 seater stadium is anyones guess. They were always a tiny club, so plonking them in a 25k stadium was never going to change that. As proved to be the case.

As an aside, what size stadium are Bournemouth looking to apply for when they submit their application ?
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

0 Not allowed!
      I know that it can be an absolute bleeder if trying to do the 92.
      At one time I was up to 59* league grounds, now I'm back down to about 40.

*I can't remember if I went to Tranmere or not...
      As it stands, there are eight 0's in the whole PL table.
      Chrystal Palace have half of them.

Wins 0, Draws 0, Goals 0, Points 0.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      Darlington were also at the arse-end of the 4th divison and playing in front of gates of 3,000-4,000, as they had throughout their entire history, so quite why George Reynolds decided they needed a 25,000 seater stadium is anyones guess. They were always a tiny club, so plonking them in a 25k stadium was never going to change that. As proved to be the case.

As an aside, what size stadium are Bournemouth looking to apply for when they submit their application ?
      I think its in the region 20k-25k, not entirely sure as I'm a Hornet. The point I was originally replying to was that Bournemouth need to get the ground built as soon as possible to tap into the younger fans that can't currently get tickets. Kids everywhere wearing Bournemouth shirts but they'll only get them hooked if they can see them live.

0 Not allowed!

And let's face it, they have the potential to be far bigger than Wigan who have a similar sized ground!
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post

And let's face it, they have the potential to be far bigger than Wigan who have a similar sized ground!
      Bigger than Wigan ?

Well, you've got to have dreams I guess...

0 Not allowed!
      Bigger than Wigan ?

Well, you've got to have dreams I guess...
      Well , yes!

But in all seriousness, the football map changed decades ago. You could plonk a Premier league team and stadium in just about any major town or city in the country and 20,000 is the bare minimum you could expect to attract. Bournemouth isn't a small town by any stretch, and they'd understandably feel that their lack of success historically should have no bearing on their ambition. Reading and Wigan prove the point really.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Poyningsgull View Post
      From memory you could build about 3 football grounds in the space around the old Dean Court car park.
      Exactly! Baffling why they didn't. Increased capacity = increased revenue.

Personal view is that clubs shouldn't be allowed to play in the PL if their ground is not up to scratch. Hardly seems equitable that we have to give them 3K tickets when they come to the Amex but they only have to give us 1300 (ish) thereby depriving many of our supporters the chance to attend.

#tinpot

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      Well , yes!

But in all seriousness, the football map changed decades ago. You could plonk a Premier league team and stadium in just about any major town or city in the country and 20,000 is the bare minimum you could expect to attract. Bournemouth isn't a small town by any stretch, and they'd understandably feel that their lack of success historically should have no bearing on their ambition. Reading and Wigan prove the point really.
      Agreed. Just a lovely way of putting it - "we could be as big as Wigan"

I'd have thought 25k would be about right for Plucky if they stay in the PL. They probably wouldn't always fill it against the lesser sides, and much the same as Palace, they could expect their attendances to melt away to around 13-14k if they did drop back down into the Championship. But at least they'd have the scope to accommodate the 10k's worth of floaters if they yo-yo'd between the Prem and the Championship for a while.