Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting article on the size of cities in the GB. Brighton considered large!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Interesting....

Here you go:

Megacity: London
Second cities: Birmingham, Manchester
Major cities: Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sheffield
Large cities: Belfast, Bristol, Nottingham, Southampton/Portsmouth, Leicester, etc.
The latter category is incomplete: other cities, like Cardiff, Edinburgh, Middlesbrough, even Brighton or Bournemouth, probably have a claim to be in there, too. Britain only has one city whose population even gets close to 10m, but a couple of handfuls of them are bobbing around the 500,000 mark.

But the point, in the end, is clear. No way in hell is Sheffield Britain's third city.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've always had Brighton as a pretty small city. You can walk from one side of it to the other pretty easily? No chance doing that with somewhere like Nottingham.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I've always had Brighton as a pretty small city. You can walk from one side of it to the other pretty easily? No chance doing that with somewhere like Nottingham.

I'd say Nottingham and Brighton have similar feels in terms of the City centre and then they both have massive urban sprawls around them.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

The city now consists of Brighton and Hove, with Portslade thrown in. You also need to start at Saltdean.
Nottingham has a population of 321,500 (2015)
Brighton's population is 277,500 (2016)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Same here. It has never felt large to me

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's Croydon classed as?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd say Nottingham and Brighton have similar feels in terms of the City centre and then they both have massive urban sprawls around them.

In terms of surrounding I'd say they're very different. Nottingham has FOUR exits off the M1. There is no chance you could easily walk from one side of Nottingham to the other. With Brighton, you could.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
In terms of surrounding I'd say they're very different. Nottingham has FOUR exits off the M1. There is no chance you could easily walk from one side of Nottingham to the other. With Brighton, you could.

Land mass of Nottingham 74.61Km squared
Land mass of Brighton 82.67Km squared

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Land mass of Nottingham 74.61Km squared
Land mass of Brighton 82.67Km squared

You've missed out the suburbs of Brighton & Hove.
City and unitary authority, 87.54 km2 (33.80 sq mi). • Urban, 89.4 km2 (34.5 sq mi).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
You've missed out the suburbs of Brighton & Hove.
City and unitary authority, 87.54 km2 (33.80 sq mi). • Urban, 89.4 km2 (34.5 sq mi).

Yep that was deliberate, but I think we are on the same page.

Interestingly Worthing only 32.48Km

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Where are your starting and finishing points?

If you take the A27 dual carriageway, there are five exits off it.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Having lived in both... they're very hard to compare as Brighton (and I think we should talk about the urban area here) is spread along the coast. So when you say from one side to the other, do you mean from Saltdean to Littlehampton or do you mean from Shoreham beach to Shoreham airport.

Equally, Nottingham's city centre isn't massive large in any direction, whereas it's a hell of a walk from St James St to Hove library, all of which could be considered the City Centre imho.

Nottingham has four exists off the M1 in a ten mile stretch. Brighton has circa 9 off the A27 in a ten mile stretch. But Brighton is obviously only accessible from the North, by road.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I have never got used to having a double barrelled city name. The City of Brighton and Hove is a bit of a mouthful so it would have been better to have included Lewes as part of our city area and called ourselves the City of Lewes or Lewes City that would encompass the 01273 area code from Shoreham to Newhaven. The City of Lewes cuts the crap out of a bad city name.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The UK is unusual apparently in terms of relative size of its largest city compared to the second largest. Most other countries, the second largest city is usually 40% as big as the largest.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here