Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting article on the size of cities in the GB. Brighton considered large!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Having lived in both... they're very hard to compare as Brighton (and I think we should talk about the urban area here) is spread along the coast. So when you say from one side to the other, do you mean from Saltdean to Littlehampton or do you mean from Shoreham beach to Shoreham airport.

Equally, Nottingham's city centre isn't massive large in any direction, whereas it's a hell of a walk from St James St to Hove library, all of which could be considered the City Centre imho.

Nottingham has four exists off the M1 in a ten mile stretch. Brighton has circa 9 off the A27 in a ten mile stretch. But Brighton is obviously only accessible from the North, by road.

Like you, I've lived in both and fully concur with this.

I always think the number of train stations in a metropolitan area is a good indication of size. The city of Brighton & Hove has 5 or 6 I think, so is fairly big.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think effectively Newhaven to Worthing are essentially one place. Certainly if you drove along the seafront without knowing the area would you think you had entered and left 8 separate places? Newhaven, Peacehaven, Saltdean,Brighton, Hove, Portslade, Shoreham, Lancing and Worthing? (I've left Fishersgate and Southwick out)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I always think the number of train stations in a metropolitan area is a good indication of size. The city of Brighton & Hove has 5 or 6 I think, so is fairly big.
Have you left out Aldrington?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In terms of metropolitan areas, we're listed as the Brighton-Worthing-Littlehampton conurbation - and the 12th largest.

The coastal strip of the city (as in the administrative city) is 8 miles, from Portslade to Saltdean.

If you want the furthest extremeties - Mile Oak to 'north' Saltdean is 10.7 miles.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Within the city boundaries, there are eight.

Brighton
Hove
Aldrington
Portslade
Preston Park
London Road
Moulsecoomb
Falmer

The city boundary starts at the eastern end Fishersgate station platform.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Like you, I've lived in both and fully concur with this.

There are 8 train stations within the city boundary.
Falmer
Moulscoomb
London Road
Brighton
Preston park
Hove
Aldrington
Portslade

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think in terms of the area that focuses on a centre, I always think it's between the two rivers, Adur and Ouse, where Brighton/Hove is the centre. Other side of each you are looking at Worthing or Eastbourne respectively as the local big town.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
In terms of metropolitan areas, we're listed as the Brighton-Worthing-Littlehampton conurbation - and the 12th largest.

Even then Telscombe Cliffs, Peacehaven and Newhaven are only excluded due to Telscombe Tye, which would swiftly be built on if it wasn't protected.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton is a mutant town and failure.

Half its border is the sea and yet for its size lacks a major sea port for passengers or commerce, this is a major waste of resources and considering we have a continent the other side of the wet stuff a wasted opportunity. B an H etc is an overgrown seaside holiday resort that thrives purely on it convenience to the capital which is also its main focus. The Marina to is for overly monied holiday types.

Put simply if we hit a major recession and the wealth drained out of London the Brighton economy would collapse, the lack of industry and commerce would also reflect the high rates of drug abuse and other social pathologies that infect a relativity wealthy area.

Size doesn't really matter its as dependent on wealth as an old northern town was on coal.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Half its border is the sea and yet for its size lacks a major sea port for passengers or commerce, this is a major waste of resources and considering we have a continent the other side of the wet stuff a wasted opportunity. B an H etc is an overgrown seaside holiday resort that thrives purely on it convenience to the capital which is also its main focus. The Marina to is for overly monied holiday types.

Put simply if we hit a major recession and the wealth drained out of London the Brighton economy would collapse, the lack of industry and commerce would also reflect the high rates of drug abuse and other social pathologies that infect a relativity wealthy area.

Size doesn't really matter its as dependent on wealth as an old northern town was on coal.

Actually, the Department for Transport considers both Newhaven and Shoreham to be Major ports for commerce, and Newhaven a Major port for passengers.

Vehicles using Newhaven ferry went from 123,000 in 2014 to 175,000 in 2016.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Actually, the Department for Transport considers both Newhaven and Shoreham to be Major ports for commerce, and Newhaven a Major port for passengers.

Vehicles using Newhaven ferry went from 123,000 in 2014 to 175,000 in 2016.

Yea but they are not in Brighton and given population density in the south Brighton should try to better utilise 50% of its border.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham

We have two ports, Shoreham and Newhaven.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Brighton needs to undertake a hostile takeover of Newhaven or Shoreham.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Half its border is the sea and yet for its size lacks a major sea port for passengers or commerce, this is a major waste of resources and considering we have a continent the other side of the wet stuff a wasted opportunity.

It's not a port mainly because it's not on a coastal join of river and sea. That's not a waste - that's a geographical feature. Only Dover and Folkestone buck that status, and that's because of their proximity to France. Excavating a new port entrance in the city when there's one seven miles to the west (where the port actually finishes within the city boundaries), and another nine miles the the east is the thing that would be considered a waste.

B an H etc is an overgrown seaside holiday resort that thrives purely on it convenience to the capital which is also its main focus. The Marina to is for overly monied holiday types.

There's no doubt a proximity to London helps, but then, so does a proximity to Gatwick. As does having a non-industrialised coast - something you consider a waste.

Put simply, we have had a major recession and austerity over the past decade, and the nature of commerce within the city has meant it has survived far better than other cities have. This isn't a city purely driven by tourism; it plays hosts to other strands of industry and commerce as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here