Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Yeah, definitely apples greatest ever device, Face ID is flawless, the new gestures are very easy to pick up and.......everything just works and works well !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think it's a good year for phones. Both the iPhone X and Pixel 2 XL have problems. Wait a year or two!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fGXDFiFBhg

Interestingly as I watch that I have an iPhone X sitting in the box where it's been since I picked it up from the Apple Store on Friday. I've not taken it out yet.

Initially that was because I wanted to sort out the 52gb of photos and videos that are on my 7 Plus - delete the crap and put the rest into our photo storage thingummy. But as each day passes I find myself thinking "I don't need that phone and it was ridiculously expensive so I might just take it back."

What's happened to me?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Interestingly as I watch that I have an iPhone X sitting in the box where it's been since I picked it up from the Apple Store on Friday. I've not taken it out yet.

Initially that was because I wanted to sort out the 52gb of photos and videos that are on my 7 Plus - delete the crap and put the rest into our photo storage thingummy. But as each day passes I find myself thinking "I don't need that phone and it was ridiculously expensive so I might just take it back."

What's happened to me?

Clearly an imposter! [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I think someone has managed to hack your account.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Picking mine up from John Lewis (London), same price but a three year guarantee thrown in.

Did you go for the 64gb or 256gb?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
New update on my old iPhone 6s or whatever it is, has just slowed it right down, and they've utterly ****ed up the Podcasts app, which I use a lot. There was NOTHING wrong with it before.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
New update on my old iPhone 6s or whatever it is, has just slowed it right down, and they've utterly ****ed up the Podcasts app, which I use a lot. There was NOTHING wrong with it before.

That's the Apple way of saying 'upgrade now or get used to this'

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Picking mine up from John Lewis (London), same price but a three year guarantee thrown in.

Did you go for the 64gb or 256gb?

256gb. My 7 Plus is 128gb and just about full right now, although part of that is my own mismanagement of photos and videos over the last year or so.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's the Apple way of saying 'upgrade now or get used to this'

Yep. First time I've seriously thought about moving away for quite a few years. Have owned HTCs Samsungs before but generally found them a bit shit.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
256gb. My 7 Plus is 128gb and just about full right now, although part of that is my own mismanagement of photos and videos over the last year or so.

Can't you just allow iCloud to sort out your photos Bozza?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The podcast app changed a fair while ago, so you must have been sitting on that update.

I felt the same as you initially, but you'll soon get used to it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The podcast app changed a fair while ago, so you must have been sitting on that update.

I felt the same as you initially, but you'll soon get used to it.

The one thing i'm getting on podcasts with my iphone7 plus is the speed of playback changing automatically on some podcasts...all a bit random

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Yep. First time I've seriously thought about moving away for quite a few years. Have owned HTCs Samsungs before but generally found them a bit shit.

I've always been the other way round, love Samsung dislike Apple.... the S8 though is a marked improvement on the other Samsung's though

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

I posted something similar a few weeks ago.
I've got a 6, started slowing down dramatically after an update just over a month ago.

Charging port has started playing up too.

No chance I'm forking out stupid money for more of the same.

I'm thinking about going back to a Moto X or Galaxy S6 which are still a decent jump up from the iPhone 6 imo (and not very expensive now).

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The Pixel 2 (non-XL) is of decent value. Currently £50 off, which makes it £579 (64GB). Get a free Google Home Mini too. It's exactly the same as the XL, except for the screen size (5" vs 6") and resolution (1080p vs 1440p). Further, it uses a Samsung OLED panel (as opposed to the XL which uses an LG OLED panel, which has had some issues). XL has a larger battery, but this will mostly be used to power its larger screen.

Best software experience on the market (pure Android, latest 8.1, and joint-first for updates for a few years). Free unlimited Google Photos storage (for photos and videos). Best camera on the market. Other features that may or may not be of interest: Google Assistant (you can squeeze the phone to use it), Google Lens (take photos of the world to find out more information about what you have taken a photo of), Now Playing (automatically picks up songs which are playing in the background, using an on-board database), Augmented Reality (add animated Star Wars characters to real-life videos, lolz).

The skins that Samsung et al add to their phones are shit - poor interfaces, slow the phone down, and mean their phones are slow for OS updates.

For whoever is considering making the switch to Android, this is the phone I would recommend.

https://store.google.com/config/pixel_2

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

That's because they are a bit shit.

iOS is always changing, everything that has annoyed me I've got used to, some of it for the better.

Not sure why it has slowed down, I had a 5s on up to date iOS before my upgrade and it was working alright.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The Pixel 2 (non-XL) is of decent value. Currently £50 off, which makes it £579 (64GB). Get a free Google Home Mini too. It's exactly the same as the XL, except for the screen size (5" vs 6") and resolution (1080p vs 1440p). Further, it uses a Samsung OLED panel (as opposed to the XL which uses an LG OLED panel, which has had some issues). XL has a larger battery, but this will mostly be used to power its larger screen.

Best software experience on the market (pure Android, latest 8.1, and joint-first for updates for a few years). Free unlimited Google Photos storage (for photos and videos). Best camera on the market. Other features that may or may not be of interest: Google Assistant (you can squeeze the phone to use it), Google Lens (take photos of the world to find out more information about what you have taken a photo of), Now Playing (automatically picks up songs which are playing in the background, using an on-board database), Augmented Reality (add animated Star Wars characters to real-life videos, lolz).

The skins that Samsung et al add to their phones are shit - poor interfaces, slow the phone down, and mean their phones are slow for OS updates.

For whoever is considering making the switch to Android, this is the phone I would recommend.

https://store.google.com/config/pixel_2

I'd buy the xl if I could afford it. I currently have a nexus 6p, android 8.1 is excellent and it now has a new battery so is performing much better than a couple months ago. The thing that puts me off the smaller version is the lower resolution. I wouldn't want the lower resolution after the 6p's 2k screen. It's blooming lovely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here