Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
The great thing about the Apple MacBook is from around 2008 I think, they can all run the latest OS X, unlike Microsoft windows machines which is hardware dependant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
My 6 was on deaths door and I had to bite the bullet this week.

Just got a 7 - £500 instead of £300 more for pretty much the same phone.

I'm sure these software updates are designed to slow down the older models. I wouldn't be surprised.
I'm consider switching to Samsung to be honest, the S6 looks decent enough and I'd probably only have to pay $200 ish after selling my 6.

Maybe even switch to Motorola for nothing and be done with it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm sure these software updates are designed to slow down the older models. I wouldn't be surprised.
I'm consider switching to Samsung to be honest, the S6 looks decent enough and I'd probably only have to pay $200 ish after selling my 6.

Maybe even switch to Motorola for nothing and be done with it.

I did look at the Samsung/Nokia - but they seemed to be the same sort of cost.
[MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] mentioned the LG - but I think I am too lazy to learn a new phone..

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I did look at the Samsung/Nokia - but they seemed to be the same sort of cost.
[MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] mentioned the LG - but I think I am too lazy to learn a new phone..

Yep, I bought the LG G5 (last year's model) for around 400CAD. It's a high-end Android phone which does everything the Samsung ones do, and it's got a BRILLIANT camera with a wide-angle lens.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Virgin Media doing some cheap sounding deals on the X.Shows on their home page as £37 p/m for the basic and £42 for the 256 job.Might be worth looking at that price?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Virgin Media doing some cheap sounding deals on the X.Shows on their home page as £37 p/m for the basic and £42 for the 256 job.Might be worth looking at that price?

Given the price of the phone outright, my guess is that is a long contract - 3 years possibly, and maybe a limited data allowance.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Given the price of the phone outright, my guess is that is a long contract - 3 years possibly, and maybe a limited data allowance.

At the basic £42 for the 256GB not such a good deal, but I might bite at this...

£51pm * 36
5000 minutes Unlimited text
20GB
40GB (2x data)
plus Data rollover if unused

take off £1200 for the phone and it's approx £18 for the plan.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What's the verdict from those who have got one?

I get emails from iStockNow most mornings at 6am so I reckon if I could be bothered to get up then there'd be a reasonable chance of snagging one for same-day collection. I don't want one though. Do I?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This is a genuine question from a bloke who doesn't keep up to date with phones. I got a S7 edge last year and, once my contract is paid up (24 month) ill just keep it and probably go SIM only.

To my untrained eye, all phones basically do the same thing now? All are good and the 'race' which has been going on for the last 10 years to continuously improve now seems redundant. I can't think of something my phone doesn't do which frustrates me.

Am I right with this impression? I'll be honest, I haven't researched the iPhone X but from the 'basics' I heard there wasn't really anything that grabbed me.

And no, I'm not 'pro' or 'anti' any brand or make of phone. I went Samsung as it all links up to my TV which is quite fun.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is a genuine question from a bloke who doesn't keep up to date with phones. I got a S7 edge last year and, once my contract is paid up (24 month) ill just keep it and probably go SIM only.

To my untrained eye, all phones basically do the same thing now? All are good and the 'race' which has been going on for the last 10 years to continuously improve now seems redundant. I can't think of something my phone doesn't do which frustrates me.

Am I right with this impression? I'll be honest, I haven't researched the iPhone X but from the 'basics' I heard there wasn't really anything that grabbed me.

And no, I'm not 'pro' or 'anti' any brand or make of phone. I went Samsung as it all links up to my TV which is quite fun.

Agreed. With phones as well as tablets there's little need to upgrade for a few years now.

That said, if you don't get an iPhone X you can't be a talking poop emoji. It's difficult to put a price on that.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The great thing about the Apple MacBook is from around 2008 I think, they can all run the latest OS X, unlike Microsoft windows machines which is hardware dependant.

Seriously? :ohmy:

Gonna have to call you out on that: it's propaganda from the Apple-istas that simply isn't true. I have Windows 10 running on a desktop machine built in (early) 2007 at home. Works just fine (actually runs better than it did when I got it with Vista installed).

As for the iPhone X: I don't see anything there that justifies the price tag. It's Apple's answer to the Samsung Galaxy S8, but it's a) late to the party, b) still not got feature parity, and c) costs a lot more.

More to the point: if you're not forced to upgrade, I'd suggest waiting. Partly because the current crop of smartphones (across the board) aren't really that big a step over the previous generations. And partly because we're not far away now from the next major screen revolution: scientists have cracked (excuse the pun) the trick to producing a much cheaper screen, that uses less power, and doesn't require a hard glass front.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

I Have an I Phone 6 and no offering has done anything for me since, I am with you they all very much feel the same, until someone comes up with a long life battery I will not be chasing the lastest handset.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Face ID is very, very good. I pick up my phone and its ready to go, I need to login to an app or website, its automatically done with Face ID. Wasn't expecting i'd even switch that feature on, but very impressed.

Edge to edge screen is great. Very happy all around.. will only say that if you're coming from the plus it may feel a little small, as mine does, but gotten used to it and love it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here