Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I've had bad experiences whenever I've moved away from Apple charging cables - for whatever reason, it's always killed my battery life within days of using the alternative cable.

Anker make quality alternative cables, they can be bought relatively cheaply on amazon, but not super-cheap by any stretch. The apple cables tend to break fairly easily.

That said, charging cables will be a thing of the past in the not too distant future. Ikea are already selling furniture with built in Qi charging mats.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
That cut on the top of the screen though - I would just find that extremely annoying. I'd prefer bezels.

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11670.jpg

The new Essential phone running stock Andriod looks like a nice piece of kit, at a reasonable price compared to others, but again, the screen cuts around a camera which would always bug me.

essential-phone-straight-on-home-screen.jpg

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
At this point I'm thinking the one after the X is probably worth waiting for as they might resolve any of the annoying stuff in the X which does look like its been rushed a bit. The 'cut out' is a WEAK design solution and the fact that the screen is smaller than a 6/7/8 plus screen will make it feel like a downgrade for many.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
At this point I'm thinking the one after the X is probably worth waiting for as they might resolve any of the annoying stuff in the X which does look like its been rushed a bit. The 'cut out' is a WEAK design solution and the fact that the screen is smaller than a 6/7/8 plus screen will make it feel like a downgrade for many.

the screen is actually bigger, i believe? but you lose some screen space with the cutout

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
the screen is actually bigger, i believe? but you lose some screen space with the cutout

No- it's a reduction in width compared to the 6/7/8 Plus.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/23/16519388/iphone-8-plus-vs-iphone-x-comparison

DISPLAY
This is the big one, quite literally. I’ve seen a lot of people assume the X will be an unambiguous slam dunk in this regard, saying the device has a bigger screen than the iPhone 8 Plus in a body close to the size of the regular iPhone 8. But this isn’t really true, and I think a lot of people used to the Plus-sized iPhones will be disappointed with the X in practice.

Yes, the iPhone X has a 5.8-inch screen compared to the iPhone 8 Plus’ 5.5-inch display. It’s also true that the X’s is higher resolution. But the 8 Plus’ screen is actually bigger. The X uses a narrower aspect ratio, so while it’s longer on the diagonal, you still get more surface area on the Plus overall — and that’s before you account for the notch and the rounded corners. I know, comparing screen sizes isn't what it used to be.

THE X WON'T SHOW PLUS-SIZED APP LAYOUTS
But the bottom line is that the Plus will display more useful content at once, even with its lower resolution. It’s wider as you hold it in portrait, which is why Apple introduced a new size class for app layouts when the iPhone 6 Plus first came out. Apps, websites, and so on have 414 horizontal “points” — the unit of measurement that the screen is divided into for design purposes — to fill on the Plus, while the X has 375, the same as the regular iPhone 8. The X has more vertical points, of course, because of the taller screen, but a lot of that will be occupied by the notch and home button bar.

What this means is that apps on the X will use the same basic layouts as the iPhone 8, not the Plus. You'll get more vertical content in portrait mode, but in landscape mode you'll actually see less vertical screen space than even the smaller 8 because of how developers need to avoid the virtual home button bar as well as the notch. You won't get the Plus' iPad-style multi-panel views, either. And how long will it take before all your apps get updated for the X in the first place? I'm still using several that never got updated for the iPhone 6.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just can’t justify the £1149 for the 256gb X.
I can't be the only one that finds this a little upsetting. I know you won't like it, you're too down to earth, but I'm going to get a crowd fund started for you.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I can't be the only one that finds this a little upsetting. I know you won't like it, you're too down to earth, but I'm going to get a crowd fund started for you.

Why do you think he's adding these extra ads to NSC?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
No- it's a reduction in width compared to the 6/7/8 Plus.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/23/16519388/iphone-8-plus-vs-iphone-x-comparison

DISPLAY
This is the big one, quite literally. I’ve seen a lot of people assume the X will be an unambiguous slam dunk in this regard, saying the device has a bigger screen than the iPhone 8 Plus in a body close to the size of the regular iPhone 8. But this isn’t really true, and I think a lot of people used to the Plus-sized iPhones will be disappointed with the X in practice.

Yes, the iPhone X has a 5.8-inch screen compared to the iPhone 8 Plus’ 5.5-inch display. It’s also true that the X’s is higher resolution. But the 8 Plus’ screen is actually bigger. The X uses a narrower aspect ratio, so while it’s longer on the diagonal, you still get more surface area on the Plus overall — and that’s before you account for the notch and the rounded corners. I know, comparing screen sizes isn't what it used to be.

THE X WON'T SHOW PLUS-SIZED APP LAYOUTS
But the bottom line is that the Plus will display more useful content at once, even with its lower resolution. It’s wider as you hold it in portrait, which is why Apple introduced a new size class for app layouts when the iPhone 6 Plus first came out. Apps, websites, and so on have 414 horizontal “points” — the unit of measurement that the screen is divided into for design purposes — to fill on the Plus, while the X has 375, the same as the regular iPhone 8. The X has more vertical points, of course, because of the taller screen, but a lot of that will be occupied by the notch and home button bar.

What this means is that apps on the X will use the same basic layouts as the iPhone 8, not the Plus. You'll get more vertical content in portrait mode, but in landscape mode you'll actually see less vertical screen space than even the smaller 8 because of how developers need to avoid the virtual home button bar as well as the notch. You won't get the Plus' iPad-style multi-panel views, either. And how long will it take before all your apps get updated for the X in the first place? I'm still using several that never got updated for the iPhone 6.

Ah well, in that case I'm even happier with my decision to go with the 8 plus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve just put my order in. Have to wait until December 19th though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Check your order status. They've been shipping them faster than originally anticipated and lots of people are seeing their expected delivery date move closer.

Ah yes, my date is now a week earlier. Thanks for the heads up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Who'll get their's first?

I've gone from "not getting one" to refreshing iStockNow.com every 10 seconds.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I said no way no chance when they were announced but I'm now looking longingly thinking how I desperately need one in my life. Still trying to resist at the moment but I'm starting to change my mind, John Lewis had stock this morning and I almost went for it, went back 10 minutes later and they were sold out otherwise I think I may have ordered one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here