Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's because statistically, the smartest people in the world are Asian. That's a fact.

Regardless, I'm happy to support the plucky little underdog Apple where I can, and leave the sheep to flock around Samsung.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well firstly, I don't know if they did have a £33k electric car, because there wasn't a media circus about it. Was there a thread on here? Secondly, is that far more expensive than a similar car by a rival brand?

Of course there wasn't a thread on here, NSCers don't drive BMWs do they ? :wink:

and yes you can buy a decent small car for 15k but it's not a BMW and it's not electric. Deluded Planet savers drive electric cars I think.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Right, so not comparable then.

Of course it's comparable it's a car and it gets you from A to B, the fact that one is a cult car and electric is just detail :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of course it's comparable it's a car and it gets you from A to B, the fact that one is a cult car and electric is just detail :rolleyes:
We weren't comparing the £1k iPhone X with a £100 phone that's vastly inferior, we were comparing it with the flagship Samsung which has similar specs, yet the iPhone is something like 70% more expensive. The iPhone X vs the Samsung S8 is 2017 flagship vs 2017 flagship of the top two brands.

Likening that to the comparison of a new BMW electric car against a random car that's not electric is ridiculous.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We weren't comparing the £1k iPhone X with a £100 phone that's vastly inferior, we were comparing it with the flagship Samsung which has similar specs, yet the iPhone is something like 70% more expensive. The iPhone X vs the Samsung S8 is 2017 flagship vs 2017 flagship of the top two brands.

Likening that to the comparison of a new BMW electric car against a random car that's not electric is ridiculous.
They don't like it (logic) up em unfortunately.

boik

Bit late to this party as I've just got back from a very soggy week in the lake district.

Always had Android phones when I was working, but I'm retired and broke now, so when my last phone broke I inherited my daughters iPhone 5S about a year ago. It's a perfectly fine phone. IOS and Android are similar enough, although IOS feels like something aimed at old people - kept simple with little ability to tweak it to stop it being confusing. It's well made and I like the camera. I was hoping it would mean I could stop taking a camera to gigs, but not quite.

I still can't love it though. For a start, anything that virtually forces you to use iTunes is a complete non-starter to me. What an abomination that piece of software is. It looks like a music player, acts like a music player, but then they've bolted on bits to make it the centre for controlling your iphone. You can use it for everything - well apart from importing photos, cos you have to use another piece of software for that. Let me just plug my phone in and drag and drop stuff to and from it. Let me have control for god sake.

The real thing that puts me off though is the cynical way they screw their customers. You can't have expandable storage - it's for your own good. Give us more more money for a new phone. You can't use industy-wide standard cables and chargers - ours are much better which is why they cost so much. They announce ground-breaking new features to encourage you to upgrade, but they're the same features other phones have had for ages. What was the last genuinely new feature on an iPhone?

Anyway, I'm sure the new X is perfectly adequate, and I'd have one as a gift, but they're nothing special any more - if they ever were.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Bit late to this party as I've just got back from a very soggy week in the lake district.

Always had Android phones when I was working, but I'm retired and broke now, so when my last phone broke I inherited my daughters iPhone 5S about a year ago. It's a perfectly fine phone. IOS and Android are similar enough, although IOS feels like something aimed at old people - kept simple with little ability to tweak it to stop it being confusing. It's well made and I like the camera. I was hoping it would mean I could stop taking a camera to gigs, but not quite.

I still can't love it though. For a start, anything that virtually forces you to use iTunes is a complete non-starter to me. What an abomination that piece of software is. It looks like a music player, acts like a music player, but then they've bolted on bits to make it the centre for controlling your iphone. You can use it for everything - well apart from importing photos, cos you have to use another piece of software for that. Let me just plug my phone in and drag and drop stuff to and from it. Let me have control for god sake.

The real thing that puts me off though is the cynical way they screw their customers. You can't have expandable storage - it's for your own good. Give us more more money for a new phone. You can't use industy-wide standard cables and chargers - ours are much better which is why they cost so much. They announce ground-breaking new features to encourage you to upgrade, but they're the same features other phones have had for ages. What was the last genuinely new feature on an iPhone?

Anyway, I'm sure the new X is perfectly adequate, and I'd have one as a gift, but they're nothing special any more - if they ever were.

Firstly cables and chargers are available for 99p on eBay, secondly, you mentioned an iPhone 5s. That's a 4 year old phone still running perfectly. Maybe that's the difference, Apple products last that bit longer and are that bit more well made. My 6plus is nearly 3 and is a brilliant phone. How many are still using 4 year old Samsungs? The cost in upgrading or buying a new phone negates Apple's more expensive price. When you buy an iPhone, you expect to keep it for 5 years or so. I genuinely don't know, but is that the same with Andriod?

boik

Firstly cables and chargers are available for 99p on eBay, secondly, you mentioned an iPhone 5s. That's a 4 year old phone still running perfectly. Maybe that's the difference, Apple products last that bit longer and are that bit more well made. My 6plus is nearly 3 and is a brilliant phone. How many are still using 4 year old Samsungs? The cost in upgrading or buying a new phone negates Apple's more expensive price. When you buy an iPhone, you expect to keep it for 5 years or so. I genuinely don't know, but is that the same with Andriod?

Yes, but there's no good reason for apple to use different cables, it's just part of their strategy. They screw people for as much as they can until the forgers catch up. No reason for them not to use UPnP/DLNA or any other open standards. They deliberately copy other ideas and then just tweak them enough so that they can say its their own and lock everyone in/out.

I would still have been using my old Samsung had it not fallen off the lower reaches of Snowdon, and am happily still using my Nexus7, so yes, people still do use old Android phones.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
That's a bit optimistic:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...d-to-last-only-one-year-apple-argues-in-court

"in court, Apple argues that it is only responsible for ensuring the iPhone lasts one year, the default warranty you get when you buy an iPhone"

Isn't that standard? I'm sure my TV only came with a one year warranty, but it's still going years later.

There's a big difference between being able to expect it to last five years in practice (which I think I can), and the manufacturer being legally liable if it doesn't.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What model is it?

Cheap and crappy Sony Aqua something? M4? I was late to the smartphone party as I took my ipad touch with me everywhere I go so had that for most of the apps I needed. I accept that the cheapness of the device will play a huge part (terrible memory, so can barely download any apps, despite the slot for microsd), but the OS just doesn't feel as comfortable to me as iOS does on my iPod touch.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here