Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's a nice enough looking phone, but I'm hanging on for the next paradigm shift.

Getting board of pigeon steps into the future. I hoped Apple would break the mould for this anniversary model.

Hasn't it just been spec bumps, of sorts, from all suppliers, for a fair few years now?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Just dont get the Apple circus. Its a bloody phone. Same as mine. makes calls, surfs the net and can take a photo. So why spend double the cost of other decent makes and be stung with 50% extra on your monthly Apple Only tarrif just to have an over rated fashion accessory.

A couple of months ago Apples bank account hit over $250,000,000,000 in CASH - yes that is a quarter of a trillion dollars. Just sitting in their account, fleeced off unsuspecting idjits whio need the lastest xxx mmust have.

Recently upgraded to the Samsung S7 for free as the S8 is the new hair on the dogs gonads (apparently). Works for me. Feel better with £25 a month less on my tarrif and £1k less spend that the lastest Apple rip-off X.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just dont get the Apple circus. Its a bloody phone. Same as mine. makes calls, surfs the net and can take a photo. So why spend double the cost of other decent makes and be stung with 50% extra on your monthly Apple Only tarrif just to have an over rated fashion accessory.

A couple of months ago Apples bank account hit over $250,000,000,000 in CASH - yes that is a quarter of a trillion dollars. Just sitting in their account, fleeced off unsuspecting idjits whio need the lastest xxx mmust have.

Recently upgraded to the Samsung S7 for free as the S8 is the new hair on the dogs gonads (apparently). Works for me. Feel better with £25 a month less on my tarrif and £1k less spend that the lastest Apple rip-off X.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 which is launching now-ish is c£900. The iPhone X will be similar. The "Apple phones are a lot more expensive" thing has long been a myth - the top iPhone costs broadly the same as the flagship Android phones of the time.

If you don't want "state of the art" in Apple-land you can pay a lot less too. As you say, no one really needs the new phone when it comes out.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

It's just a con buddy, it's designed for the older generation.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Hasn't it just been spec bumps, of sorts, from all suppliers, for a fair few years now?

Absolutely, that's what's bugging me. I guess we got spoilt by the originality of the first iPhone, something so radically different to what went before. I just want that again.

I can only imagine it would take some sort of implant tech to be anywhere near as progressive as that leap 10 years ago.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
That doesn't sound good. How well with that work in a dark room I wonder. I'd rather a fingerprint reader on the back.

Wireless and OLED - nice that they're following others.

Assuming it's like the Microsoft Surface then it'll be using an infra camera for face ID, will be fine in the dark. Sometimes it's fun trying to leave my desk with the laptop locked - I'm looking at it to check it's locked, which unlocks the *******. Like keyless entry problems :)

I'd wait for the first patch, bound to be teething problems with this one.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Left the iPhone gaggle and went for a Galaxy S8 a couple of months ago. Glad I did.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Assuming it's like the Microsoft Surface then it'll be using an infra camera for face ID, will be fine in the dark. Sometimes it's fun trying to leave my desk with the laptop locked - I'm looking at it to check it's locked, which unlocks the *******. Like keyless entry problems :)
I guess it works well then. I would expect Apple to get it right, but then I'm pretty happy with a rear sensor.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Very excited. Mostly for a 'plus' sized screen in a regular sized body (or there abouts).

Love my plus, but anything they can shave off the size is great.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Been waiting on this for a couple months to spring my upgrade. I'm still in two minds about jumping ship, but having all my apps from the iOS app store is holding me back. Anyone that switched from iOS to android have any experience with this? Are a lot of the apps cross platform these days, or will I basically be waving goodbye to a ton of functionality and money spent?

A lot of the apps I use are Google anyway and others I'm sure are big enough to be cross platform, but something I absolutely NEED is a way to stream my phone screen to my pc. Does android do that natively?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm a big fan of Apple, having a macbook, mac mini, ipad and iphone (5s) but I won't be upgrading as the 5s does all that I need. When it dies, I will probably replace it with the best value iphone.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I have a 6 plus- works fine, the battery has lasted well. It would be nice to have the same size screen on a smaller phone though which is what I understand is to be unveiled today though. Hard to justify shelling out £££ to secure that tho.

Looks like on eBay I might get about £300 for mine, I'm guessing the 8 plus will be £800ish and the iPhone X is apparently going to be over £1000...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you're mug enough to pay a grand for a product half as good as Samsung, good luck guys!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Been waiting on this for a couple months to spring my upgrade. I'm still in two minds about jumping ship, but having all my apps from the iOS app store is holding me back. Anyone that switched from iOS to android have any experience with this? Are a lot of the apps cross platform these days, or will I basically be waving goodbye to a ton of functionality and money spent?

A lot of the apps I use are Google anyway and others I'm sure are big enough to be cross platform, but something I absolutely NEED is a way to stream my phone screen to my pc. Does android do that natively?

The Samsung s8,s8+ and the Samsung note now have something called the Samsung dex. Which you can plug your phone into and use it as a pc. This was copied from windows phone which is called continuum, with the windows phone you can do it wireless or into the continuum box which has USB ports.
But Samsung would be best for as windows phone seems to be on its last legs. I still use my windows phones and they're great.
Wireless charging on my phone is fine as well, apple just like to copy, but advertise very well.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
It's just a phone. I don't get the fascination.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Apple, Samsung and all the others know their market. Research with millennials YEARS ago said that over half would rather lose their sense of smell rather than their smartphone, so that percentage is bound to be WAY higher these days. Also, a lot of them are preferring to spend their money on a smartphone than, say, driving lessons, going out boozing or clothes. So yeah, it might be a lot of money, but there are a lot of customers too.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Apple, Samsung and all the others know their market. Research with millennials YEARS ago said that over half would rather lose their sense of smell rather than their smartphone, so that percentage is bound to be WAY higher these days. Also, a lot of them are preferring to spend their money on a smartphone than, say, driving lessons, going out boozing or clothes. So yeah, it might be a lot of money, but there are a lot of muppets too.

Corrected for you.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here