Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This isn't just Apple though, is it?

The new Samsung flagship phones are only slightly cheaper
No Bozza, they're not:
The iPhone X (5.8" display) costs £999, the Samsung S8 (5.8" display) costs £689.

That's not broadly the same.
That is the Samsung flagship phone. It's also available considerably cheaper than that, but that's the price direct from Samsung.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No Bozza, they're not:
That is the Samsung flagship phone.

There are a lot of sites that could do with some of your famous pedantry assistance. Maybe start with The Guardian and work down from there.

South Korean firm adds dual cameras and infinity screen to stylus-equipped big smartphone flagship to make amends for fire-prone predecessor >>> https://www.theguardian.com/technol...fires-note-7-dual-cameras-infinity-screen-gif

SAMSUNG HAS OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED the Galaxy Note 8, its big-screened flagship for 2017. >>> https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...-smartphone-smashes-samsung-pre-order-records

There are now two cameras on the back, a first for a Samsung flagship smartphone. >>> http://www.techradar.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-note-8-review

iPhone 8 vs Galaxy Note 8: Can Apple beat Samsung’s new flagship? >>> http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/galaxy-note-8-vs-iphone-8-3268870

Galaxy Note 8 is Samsung's first flagship to feature a dual-camera >>> http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-pr...e-release-date-new-features-specs-3647841/the

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
No Bozza, they're not:
That is the Samsung flagship phone. It's also available considerably cheaper than that, but that's the price direct from Samsung.

Yep been looking on eBay today. Easily can get Galaxy s8 plus for 500-600.

Believe it or not I was waiting for iPhone X announcement hoping it would be a game changer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Even the plus is bigger than the iPhone X isn't it?

I was interested in the hype for the S8, I thought it might be the phone for me, but I think it was a massive fail (no offense to those who got it). I'm sure the iPhone X will be a lot better, so I'm not suggesting it's not worth more. And maybe I'm wrong about which model you should compare to the X, but the S8 is the one that makes sense to me. Samsung's flagships tend to be the S, and the Note is their bigger phablet style thing and not really comparable IMO.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Even the plus is bigger than the iPhone X isn't it?

I was interested in the hype for the S8, I thought it might be the phone for me, but I think it was a massive fail (no offense to those who got it). I'm sure the iPhone X will be a lot better, so I'm not suggesting it's not worth more. And maybe I'm wrong about which model you should compare to the X, but the S8 is the one that makes sense to me. Samsung's flagships tend to be the S, and the Note is their bigger phablet style thing and not really comparable IMO.

Interesting it has reviewed really well everywhere. Under the hood it appears both the s8 and s8 plus are high specced than iPhone X

I have the s7 edge and think it's amazing

Why would you say it's a failure?

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København

Believe it or not I was waiting for iPhone X announcement hoping it would be a game changer.

Same as me. Looks like I'm converting to Samsung.

Everyone at work has been buying the S8 models but I wanted to see what the new iPhone had to offer. Not impressed, especially when the price is taken into consideration.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Looks like I will be keeping my perfectly working iPhone 6s plus for a few more years!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If there's one thing which Apple isn't, it's competitive on price. They make nice things. But they cost a bloody fortune.

The S8 is Samsung's flagship and it is much better value for money IMO.

But **** value for money. Gimme that shiny, non-exploding Apple goodness any day of the week!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If I started using an Android phone my children would disown me. Don't get me wrong - that could be seen as a positive, so I'll give it some further thought.

I last bought an Android phone 2 or 3 years ago - one of Google's own phones that was launched with great fanfare - and try as I might, I hated it and just sold it on. I know Android has been improved considerably since then however.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting it has reviewed really well everywhere. Under the hood it appears both the s8 and s8 plus are high specced than iPhone X

I have the s7 edge and think it's amazing

Why would you say it's a failure?
I think the S7 and Edge are great phones. My eyesight isn't what it was (I don't always have reading glasses on), and I now want a large screen, but I don't want a big phone, so the huge screen to body ratio of the S8 was the main draw.

The main issue for me was that like Apple, they wanted to do away with the home button, and use something behind the screen to work as the fingerprint sensor, but neither of them could get it to work. Too late in design, Samsung had to stick the fingerprint reader on the back. It's right next to the camera, and not in an easy to reach position. I've tried it and it's not ideal. Samsung are also not doing very well with their fingerprint readers, they don't always work quickly. I've just bought my daughter the A3 - it's a great phone, but the fingerprint reader is rubbish.

The other thing is the screen ratio - it's too long/thin. It makes it less well balanced and gives extra height that you (or at least I) don't need.

I figure that all companies will follow suit, and large display to body ratios will become the norm, so I'll get one from a cheaper brand later down the line. In the meantime, I bought a like new Huawei P9 for £185. Bargain, and really good. A massive upgrade from my (old) iPhone 4S. I pay £5 a month for my sim, with unlimited calls and enough data.

Steve in Japan

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
The iPhone 7 outperforms the S8 in almost every single real-world task. The benchmarks for the iPhone X have blown the S8 away.

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2017/09/12/apples-new-iphone-x-already-destroying-android-devices-g/

I am not sure those "insane speeds" would be noticeable or useful, and even less whether they're worth 400 quid. You mean a page loads in 1/10 of a second instead of 2/10ths? I don't recall anybody moaning that the S6, 7 or 8 was slow.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
$999 over here and the same there? Laughable it really is, but I get it, they're pushing the mugs every year until they find a threshold. Maybe this will be the price point people aren't willing to go to.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
$999 over here and the same there? Laughable it really is, but I get it, they're pushing the mugs every year until they find a threshold. Maybe this will be the price point people aren't willing to go to.
I get the feeling you have to be very wealthy or very stupid to buy the X. If you really are rich, go for it, I bet it's lovely. But if not, there must be plenty of other ways to spend all that cash.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have been an Android user for many years. However, all of my family have apple devices.... I may move over to Apple at some point. I assume the new model coming out will mean the earlier models are slightly cheaper?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here