Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bit defensive !

Ok I will rephrase. Apple innovation is dead, really really dead..... ;)

I'm not defensive in the slightest - I'm pretty sure you've posted pretty much exactly the same for the last few iPhone releases.

Apple have rarely led the way when it comes to bringing new things to phones, but they excel at implementing incredibly well when they do "catch up", generally better than those who did go first. That said, the few hands on I've read of the iPhone X make Face ID seem a bit glitchy, but they've still got 2 months to sort that out.

As has been said on this thread, I'm not sure there's been any great leap of innovation from any party for some time - it's all largely incremental.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Seems that phones are like cars in that people buy ones that are way overpowered for their needs and full of unecessary gimicks. Why? They show off, it makes them feel important. ......

Not for me, but if you want one......go for it

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As has been said on this thread, I'm not sure there's been any great leap of innovation from any party for some time - it's all largely incremental.

Hardly worth wasting a grand on then, surely?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems that phones are like cars in that people buy ones that are way overpowered for their needs and full of unecessary gimicks. Why? They show off, it makes them feel important. ......

Not for me, but if you want one......go for it

You see, if I had the new IPhone X I could sent you a talking-turd going blah blah blah. Certainly not overpowered.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Looks absolutely stunning. The drive they're making towards AR is the most fascinating part of all of this for me. This is a continual theme which isn't going away.

We're seeing the iPhone is getting smarter and faster at understanding the world around it. It knows precisely which way it's facing, where it is on earth, how high it is, who's using it and now it even understands what the cameras are looking at!

With the introduction of AR Kit we're already seeing developers taking advantage of that power in very clever ways.
[tweet]885217993088782339[/tweet]
[tweet]880815805281300480[/tweet]

This is just the beginning. As processors get faster, sensors get smaller and more app developers get on board, this is going to explode. It's only a matter of time before this stuff moves from something you have to hold up on a phone, to something you don't need to hold at all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is just the beginning. As processors get faster, sensors get smaller and more app developers get on board, this is going to explode. It's only a matter of time before this stuff moves from something you have to hold up on a phone, to something you don't need to hold at all.

Are you confusing the IPhone X with the Samsung Galaxy?

D

Deleted member 22389

Looks absolutely stunning. The drive they're making towards AR is the most fascinating part of all of this for me. This is a continual theme which isn't going away.

We're seeing the iPhone is getting smarter and faster at understanding the world around it. It knows precisely which way it's facing, where it is on earth, how high it is, who's using it and now it even understands what the cameras are looking at!

With the introduction of AR Kit we're already seeing developers taking advantage of that power in very clever ways.
[tweet]885217993088782339[/tweet]
[tweet]880815805281300480[/tweet]

I really don't know how people have the time for all this stuff. What practical uses does it have in improving our life.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I get all the Android users love their phones, some fantastic models out there.

But, I love my Iphone (currently 6s+) and the latest one (X) puts it right up there with the best Androids. But the price :(

I like the facial recognition, but as others on the 'net have pointed out. Security issues abound. If the authorities want access to your phone, they just point it at your face! You are sleeping and your gf/bf access your phone and maybe find something you rather they didn't! People for who religious reasons cover their faces.

If I had the spare cash, then I would get the X

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I get all the Android users love their phones, some fantastic models out there.

But, I love my Iphone (currently 6s+) and the latest one (X) puts it right up there with the best Androids. But the price :(

I like the facial recognition, but as others on the 'net have pointed out. Security issues abound. If the authorities want access to your phone, they just point it at your face! You are sleeping and your gf/bf access your phone and maybe find something you rather they didn't! People for who religious reasons cover their faces.

If I had the spare cash, then I would get the X

You won't be able to point the phone at someone's sleeping face and unlock it, as eyes have to be open and looking at the phone.

I'm not sure how often you deal with "authorities" that want to access your phone - it's not happened to me yet, and I'm struggling to see that it will. However, if this is a use case you can perceive, then don't use Face ID (presumably you also wouldn't have used Touch ID so those authorities couldn't just put your thumb on the phone to unlock it) - just use a numeric passcode old stylee.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Surely you just have to switch face recognition off though if you don't want to use it and go back to the old numbers access

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Blimey, Apple don't take into account the exchange rate between £ & $ at all anymore. The rate is 1.33 at the moment, you'll save yourself over £200 on the iPhone x 256gb even with the us tax on top. If you want one and have a trip to the states coming up in the next 12 months, surely you should buy it there.

*Granted, officially a purchase of this amount should need declaring.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I see the Apple stock price had a mini tumble intra-day. I can only assume that's when they announced the release date of the iPhone X.

I didn't get my 7 Plus on launch day, but not long after from what I recall. Checking my email records, I picked it up on the 23rd September. To have to wait until the beginning of November, at the very earliest, to get my hands on the iPhone X is really quite off-putting and I think others may be the same.

If I could pre-order one NOW, I probably would but come the end of October the unveil hype would have died down dramatically. Already I'm thinking "does the X do anything more than the 8?" The two key features for me are the camera and battery life. If the X doesn't deliver any more on those counts, then I'm not sure I'm that fussed.

And once I start thinking "maybe the 8 is the one to go for", it's only a small jump of thought to "well, I might as well stick to the 7 Plus and wait until next year". And already that's what I think I might do.

I could spend some of the money on Apple Watch series 3, which does look like it finally delivers on what a smartwatch can do.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Blimey, Apple don't take into account the exchange rate between £ & $ at all anymore. The rate is 1.33 at the moment, you'll save yourself over £200 on the iPhone x 256gb even with the us tax on top. If you want one and have a trip to the states coming up in the next 12 months, surely you should buy it there.

*Granted, officially a purchase of this amount should need declaring.

Actually finding one to buy in the States (or anywhere for that matter) is going to be difficult for some months.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I really don't know how people have the time for all this stuff. What practical uses does it have in improving our life.

Did you see the first video? It's somebody creating an entire floorplan to mm precision using a device which is already in the pockets of millions of people. You point your phone at a wall and it tells you how big it is. If that's not a practical improvement for at least some people then I don't know what is.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
You won't be able to point the phone at someone's sleeping face and unlock it, as eyes have to be open and looking at the phone.

I'm not sure how often you deal with "authorities" that want to access your phone - it's not happened to me yet, and I'm struggling to see that it will. However, if this is a use case you can perceive, then don't use Face ID (presumably you also wouldn't have used Touch ID so those authorities couldn't just put your thumb on the phone to unlock it) - just use a numeric passcode old stylee.

Surely you just have to switch face recognition off though if you don't want to use it and go back to the old numbers access

Ah! I didn't realise you could 'turn off' the facial recognition and just use the numbers pass code!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ah! I didn't realise you could 'turn off' the facial recognition and just use the numbers pass code!

It's actually the other way round, in that you have to turn it on, although it will encourage you to do so. It's the same as Touch ID (fingerprints) in that regard.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here