Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Even the plus is bigger than the iPhone X isn't it?

And maybe I'm wrong about which model you should compare to the X, but the S8 is the one that makes sense to me. Samsung's flagships tend to be the S, and the Note is their bigger phablet style thing and not really comparable IMO.

Correct and correct. But that won't stop Bozza and his fake news that the prices are similar!

As this thread shows, the CHEAPEST iPhone X is actually £420 more expensive than the S8 from giffgaff. Or 72% more expensive to put it another way. The one with decent storage is basically double the price of the Samsung.

Comparing a phablet to a phone is completely disingenuous as most people in the market for a phone are going to buy a phone. The S8 is Samsung's best phone and the iPhone X is Apple's best phone so that is the correct price comparison to make.

Anyway, by the sound of most Apple lovers on here, they've dropped a bollock with the price v wow factor this time, even for most die hard cult members.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have been an Android user for many years. However, all of my family have apple devices.... I may move over to Apple at some point. I assume the new model coming out will mean the earlier models are slightly cheaper?

Apple will have a defined range of phones at any given time - they won't sell old stock cheaply, ever, as they switch from one range to another.

I can't recall what older models are being kept on as part of the new range below the 8 / 8 Plus and X. I think the SE was still there at the bottom as a "cheap iPhone" and it may well have then been the 6 still.

If I were to be buying a new iPhone in the near future, I'd be going for the 8 Plus.

Retailers other than Apple may well have discontinued phones (the 7 and 7 Plus at a guess) which may well be discounted to clear, but I can't imagine by much.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Correct and correct. But that won't stop Bozza and his fake news that the prices are similar!

Alternatively, not being an Android fanboy and having little awareness of what happens in Android-land, all I did was look up the most recent Samsung product launch that was described as a flagship.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
£1k for a phone, yes a thousand pounds for a phone!

Maybe it's intentionally high-priced to keep demand low...

"And it will likely be expensive — maybe $1,000 or even $1,500 or more. In many ways, that’s the point.

Why Apple wants to make a luxury phone

To make money, of course. The $700 entry price Apple has used for past phones (and will stick with for the iPhone 8) is a proven winner that has already made Apple more money than any company in the history of the world has made. Apple is really good at making phones that sell in high volume at that price and is able to extract very hefty profit margins for its trouble. So why mess with a winner?

The essential issue is that Apple is torn between two imperatives.

The iPhone’s thing is that it’s the best phone. But the iPhone’s other thing is that it’s the best-selling phone. That means that whatever went into the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 6s had to be things Apple was capable of obtaining or manufacturing in enormous volumes. That necessarily means leaving some technically feasible things on the cutting room floor — including things like no-bezel OLED displays that competitors not blessed with Apple’s sales volumes are already doing.

Hence the appeal of a phone that is deliberately priced too high for most people to buy. The iPhone has never been a cheap product, but at least since the iPhone 4 it’s always been a good value product that appeals to the mass market. The iPhone X won’t be like that. It’s a niche luxury product that will be produced in limited volumes — with about 10,000 made per day, according to recent reports."

From >>> https://www.vox.com/technology/2017/9/11/16275772/apple-september-event-preview-iphone-8-iphone-x

(10,000 phones a day (3.65m a year) is nothing to Apple. In the last financial year they sold 211m iPhones.)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Apple will have a defined range of phones at any given time - they won't sell old stock cheaply, ever, as they switch from one range to another.

I can't recall what older models are being kept on as part of the new range below the 8 / 8 Plus and X. I think the SE was still there at the bottom as a "cheap iPhone" and it may well have then been the 6 still.

If I were to be buying a new iPhone in the near future, I'd be going for the 8 Plus.

Retailers other than Apple may well have discontinued phones (the 7 and 7 Plus at a guess) which may well be discounted to clear, but I can't imagine by much.

Thanks. So, some options, if I want a new one.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Alternatively, not being an Android fanboy and having little awareness of what happens in Android-land, all I did was look up the most recent Samsung product launch that was described as a flagship.
Come on Bozza. You're really veering into Trump territory now. [emoji23]

I've paid no attention whatsoever to new Android phones recently but I still know the difference between a phone and a big phablet thing.

The publicity about the exploding note 7 (which I think you may have noticed) was enough for me to guess that the "note 8" might well be the latter. As its the same name, with a bigger number, you know?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Come on Bozza. You're really veering into Trump territory now. [emoji23]

I've paid no attention whatsoever to new Android phones recently but I still know the difference between a phone and a big phablet thing.

The publicity about the exploding note 7 (which I think you may have noticed) was enough for me to guess that the "note 8" might well be the latter. As its the same name, with a bigger number, you know?

You can call me a liar if you like, although I don't particularly appreciate it. I'd have no idea of the respective sizes of the various Samsung models.

Assuming what I've just searched for and found is correct, then the s8 plus is 6.2" and the Note 8 is 6.3". That's a pretty fine line between what you seem to be calling a phone and a phablet.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You can call me a liar if you like, although I don't particularly appreciate it. I'd have no idea of the respective sizes of the various Samsung models.

Assuming what I've just searched for and found is correct, then the s8 plus is 6.2" and the Note 8 is 6.3". That's a pretty fine line between what you seem to be calling a phone and a phablet.

I'm not calling you a liar. Just saying that your comparison is completely incorrect and that a like for like price comparison completely debunks your theory that Apple vs Android prices are similar. The "Note" series were always something different as they have that pen thing. I've never used one as it doesn't really seem like a phone to me, massive screen and fannying about with a pen. Likewise I would never buy a "plus" size phone as I have no need for one.

It's just not complicated to compare "best phone" by one manufacturer with another. Bringing hybrid type devices into it just confuses the issue, whether intentional or not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair enough, apology accepted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I get the feeling you have to be very wealthy or very stupid to buy the X. If you really are rich, go for it, I bet it's lovely. But if not, there must be plenty of other ways to spend all that cash.

Or alternatively sell a current/recent Iphone and upgrade by paying the extra for the 'X'. I'm not saying its not expensive, it is. But if you are in the Apple app garden and want to stay it looks a beautiful phone to own.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or alternatively sell a current/recent Iphone and upgrade by paying the extra for the 'X'. I'm not saying its not expensive, it is. But if you are in the Apple app garden and want to stay it looks a beautiful phone to own.
That's not an alternative. What iPhone can you sell for decent money? If you've got a 6 (which is already nice enough), you'll do well to clear £200. So you have a decent phone and need to pay £800 for a different decent phone. As I say, for rich/stupid people. And no complaints from me if you're wealthy, good for you.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
That's not an alternative. What iPhone can you sell for decent money? If you've got a 6 (which is already nice enough), you'll do well to clear £200. So you have a decent phone and need to pay £800 for a different decent phone. As I say, for rich/stupid people. And no complaints from me if you're wealthy, good for you.

I'm not wealthy or stupid! I've got a 6s+ which I shall be keeping. I thought Iphones held value [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not wealthy or stupid! I've got a 6s+ which I shall be keeping.
Exactly, you've got a decent phone already, no need to spend a fortune upgrading.

iPhones presumably hold their value better than the competition, but that's no saying much. Tech products are quickly outdated and lose a lot of value. Anyone want to buy my 4s for £40, it's mint.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here