Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 81516171819202128 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone X

Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TWOCHOICEStom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks absolutely stunning. The drive they're making towards AR is the most fascinating part of all of this for me. This is a continual theme which isn't going away.

We're seeing the iPhone is getting smarter and faster at understanding the world around it. It knows precisely which way it's facing, where it is on earth, how high it is, who's using it and now it even understands what the cameras are looking at!

With the introduction of AR Kit we're already seeing developers taking advantage of that power in very clever ways.
    I really don't know how people have the time for all this stuff. What practical uses does it have in improving our life.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Can't wait to get one.

Crazy money I agree, but hey ho.

TB
      True blue !!!
      Hotdogs, extra onions clippedgull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I get all the Android users love their phones, some fantastic models out there.

But, I love my Iphone (currently 6s+) and the latest one (X) puts it right up there with the best Androids. But the price

I like the facial recognition, but as others on the 'net have pointed out. Security issues abound. If the authorities want access to your phone, they just point it at your face! You are sleeping and your gf/bf access your phone and maybe find something you rather they didn't! People for who religious reasons cover their faces.

If I had the spare cash, then I would get the X
      Proud Member Of Team BHAFC since 1974

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clippedgull View Post
      I get all the Android users love their phones, some fantastic models out there.

But, I love my Iphone (currently 6s+) and the latest one (X) puts it right up there with the best Androids. But the price

I like the facial recognition, but as others on the 'net have pointed out. Security issues abound. If the authorities want access to your phone, they just point it at your face! You are sleeping and your gf/bf access your phone and maybe find something you rather they didn't! People for who religious reasons cover their faces.

If I had the spare cash, then I would get the X
      You won't be able to point the phone at someone's sleeping face and unlock it, as eyes have to be open and looking at the phone.

I'm not sure how often you deal with "authorities" that want to access your phone - it's not happened to me yet, and I'm struggling to see that it will. However, if this is a use case you can perceive, then don't use Face ID (presumably you also wouldn't have used Touch ID so those authorities couldn't just put your thumb on the phone to unlock it) - just use a numeric passcode old stylee.
      Please buy from Amazon via this link. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clippedgull View Post

Surely you just have to switch face recognition off though if you don't want to use it and go back to the old numbers access
      Become a fan of Northstandchat Dogs Syndicate and follow @NSCGreyhounds on Twitter
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Blimey, Apple don't take into account the exchange rate between & $ at all anymore. The rate is 1.33 at the moment, you'll save yourself over 200 on the iPhone x 256gb even with the us tax on top. If you want one and have a trip to the states coming up in the next 12 months, surely you should buy it there.

*Granted, officially a purchase of this amount should need declaring.

0 Not allowed!
      I see the Apple stock price had a mini tumble intra-day. I can only assume that's when they announced the release date of the iPhone X.

I didn't get my 7 Plus on launch day, but not long after from what I recall. Checking my email records, I picked it up on the 23rd September. To have to wait until the beginning of November, at the very earliest, to get my hands on the iPhone X is really quite off-putting and I think others may be the same.

If I could pre-order one NOW, I probably would but come the end of October the unveil hype would have died down dramatically. Already I'm thinking "does the X do anything more than the 8?" The two key features for me are the camera and battery life. If the X doesn't deliver any more on those counts, then I'm not sure I'm that fussed.

And once I start thinking "maybe the 8 is the one to go for", it's only a small jump of thought to "well, I might as well stick to the 7 Plus and wait until next year". And already that's what I think I might do.

I could spend some of the money on Apple Watch series 3, which does look like it finally delivers on what a smartwatch can do.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sensible View Post
      Blimey, Apple don't take into account the exchange rate between & $ at all anymore. The rate is 1.33 at the moment, you'll save yourself over 200 on the iPhone x 256gb even with the us tax on top. If you want one and have a trip to the states coming up in the next 12 months, surely you should buy it there.

*Granted, officially a purchase of this amount should need declaring.
      Actually finding one to buy in the States (or anywhere for that matter) is going to be difficult for some months.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by bashlsdir View Post
      I really don't know how people have the time for all this stuff. What practical uses does it have in improving our life.
      Did you see the first video? It's somebody creating an entire floorplan to mm precision using a device which is already in the pockets of millions of people. You point your phone at a wall and it tells you how big it is. If that's not a practical improvement for at least some people then I don't know what is.
      Hotdogs, extra onions clippedgull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      You won't be able to point the phone at someone's sleeping face and unlock it, as eyes have to be open and looking at the phone.

I'm not sure how often you deal with "authorities" that want to access your phone - it's not happened to me yet, and I'm struggling to see that it will. However, if this is a use case you can perceive, then don't use Face ID (presumably you also wouldn't have used Touch ID so those authorities couldn't just put your thumb on the phone to unlock it) - just use a numeric passcode old stylee.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gazwag View Post
      Surely you just have to switch face recognition off though if you don't want to use it and go back to the old numbers access
      Ah! I didn't realise you could 'turn off' the facial recognition and just use the numbers pass code!
      Proud Member Of Team BHAFC since 1974