Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In my case I just got so pissed off with apples arrogance. The reliance on iTunes , no freedom in what I can download. Much less customisation.

Bizarre. I'm not sure any of my last 3 or 4 phones have ever been connected to iTunes.

You can download whatever you like onto an iPhone. My phones have never been jailbroken yet I download non-App Store apps from time to time as required.

Of course, Google want you to go via Play (or whatever they have changed the name to this month) because of the proliferation of malware in Android-land.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza, I had no idea you were so enamoured by Apple and their products. You've hid that well.

I've also said numerous times that phones are now largely a commodity and all do the same thing, generally very well indeed. With a house full of MacBooks, iPads, a Mac mini connected to a TV and an Apple TV it just makes sense to have an iPhone because of the joined up nature of stuff that Apple have baked in precisely to make me keep buying iPhones.

I'll add that after sales service is also exceptional and, for me, well worth any "Apple tax". I have friends who have the occasional issue with an Android phone and they always seem to need to send it away for a week or two. The couple of times I've had an issue, even in another country, they've been quickly resolved at the first time of asking in an Apple Store.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bozza, I had no idea you were so enamoured by Apple and their products. You've hid that well.
I think Bozza is hoping at one of these launches that suddenly,the disembodied voice of Steve Jobs announces Hari Seldon style, that mankind will be saved as the next 37 generations of iPhone are being worked on in secret mountain labs...oh the dribbling!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Been waiting on this for a couple months to spring my upgrade. I'm still in two minds about jumping ship, but having all my apps from the iOS app store is holding me back. Anyone that switched from iOS to android have any experience with this? Are a lot of the apps cross platform these days, or will I basically be waving goodbye to a ton of functionality and money spent

Apple apps don't work on anything else, and vice versa.

ALSO - the new iOS is, so I read, going to be 64 bit as opposed to the present 32 bit (bear with me) and a lot of apps, if they were written before February, may not be updated to work with the new software. I went mental with a gift card once a couple of years ago, bought a few pretty pricey games, which *aren't* going to work in iOS11 or X or whatever. It's worth checking to see...
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...1-apple-latest-update-older-apps-stop-working

D

Deleted member 22389

Each to their own. I use a blackberry z30, great phone. Using blackberry os10, shame BlackBerry didn't keep this instead of moving to android. Does what I need it to do.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I have just finished a 2 year contract on a Samsung S6, and was for a moment blinded by all the hot deals for new handsets. But actually, nothing represents much of an improvement on what I already have IMO.

So I did a SIM only deal for 10 quid a month. I am feeling virtuous.....

I have a £5 sim only deal :very smug emoji:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Is that giff gaff?

It's ID from Carphone Warehouse.

Now I feel a bit less virtuous. Mind you, I get 4GB of data a month for my tenner, enabling me to monitor NSC at all times.

Thinking about it, should have gone for the fiver option.....

:lol: Yes, I only get 1GB but it made me go through the phone and turn off wireless data for a zillion apps, stuff that you'd never have thought used iCloud, and can do it quite happily at home. Checking for email was the biggie though, so now I get to check manually rather than being beeped at, which has introduced some zen to my day. And moolah to my wallet!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I got a bit fed up with Apple some years ago and changed from the iPhone to a Samsung.
Worst thing I ever did
Battery life was abysmal - I had to buy a new battery for the thing after a short while. I thought to myself "Well at least that's good that you can buy a better battery for it". They've taken that away from it now.
Last time I changed I went back to iPhone and am quite happy with my 6plus. Battery life isn't wonderful as I've had the thing for a couple of years now but, there again, I do use it a lot.
I don't know whether I'll get the new one - if I do I'll certainly wait for a couple of months or so until they release the first couple of patches.
One thing is certain though - if I do get a new phone it ain't going to be a Samsung.

I popped into the apple store last week as I have a message on my iphone that my battery may need to be serviced. It's about two and a half years old and the battery performance dropped a lot after the last but one 'upgrade'. I was pleasantly surprised that the new battery is only £69 - I was expecting Apple to hit me way harder than that.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I've also said numerous times that phones are now largely a commodity and all do the same thing, generally very well indeed. With a house full of MacBooks, iPads, a Mac mini connected to a TV and an Apple TV it just makes sense to have an iPhone because of the joined up nature of stuff that Apple have baked in precisely to make me keep buying iPhones.

I'll add that after sales service is also exceptional and, for me, well worth any "Apple tax". I have friends who have the occasional issue with an Android phone and they always seem to need to send it away for a week or two. The couple of times I've had an issue, even in another country, they've been quickly resolved at the first time of asking in an Apple Store.

I agree with the after sales service comment. Back when in app purchases were auto opt in and there was no agreement to restrict child purchases, my then 4 year old son bought over £1000 of virtual doughnuts on a Simpsons app I had on my iPad.

With only one phone call, and no proof needed on my behalf, they agreed to credit my account with the full amount and helped me set up restrictions.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Myth again.

The bitterness from entrenched Android users is just bizarre.

I have plenty of friends with Android phones of varying flavours and nearly all will travel with battery packs to keep their phones going throughout the day. Depending on what I'm doing, I'll take one too.

All modern smartphones will struggle to last a day in the hands of someone who uses their phone a lot. It's the curse of the devices.

Truly extending battery life is the one innovation that would make a difference to many.

I guess if, as I see every morning and evening commuting, about 70% of the mutant population with their eyes entrenched in a fecking phone, they look like Androids to be fair (the people, not the phones), then I guess it doesn't matter if you have a battery the size of a car version, they'd still drain it, whilst their brains drain away.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The iPhone release will be all over every news outlet all around the world later this evening.
I can see you're not guessing here. Seems I was right with my suspicions that you're in cahoots with Rupert Murdoch.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think Bozza is hoping at one of these launches that suddenly,the disembodied voice of Steve Jobs announces Hari Seldon style, that mankind will be saved as the next 37 generations of iPhone are being worked on in secret mountain labs...oh the dribbling!

Hang on - are you saying this might not happen?

D

Deleted member 22389

It's ID from Carphone Warehouse.

:lol: Yes, I only get 1GB but it made me go through the phone and turn off wireless data for a zillion apps, stuff that you'd never have thought used iCloud, and can do it quite happily at home. Checking for email was the biggie though, so now I get to check manually rather than being beeped at, which has introduced some zen to my day. And moolah to my wallet!

I hardly have any bandwidth, I'm on payg, but then I don't use any apps, so I have enough to check NSC and stuff every so often. Everything else I just go through the wireless on the phone.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wonder how long it will be until someone in the pub asks if I've got the new iPhone charger.

Let's think. Fully charged up this morning flat battery by about 1pm.
I had an iPhone for 5 years (and had my iPad for longer), and recently switched to Android. I'm happy with the switch and can't see myself going back, but I don't think charger and battery life are accurate criticisms of the iPhone.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I hardly have any bandwidth, I'm on payg, but then I don't use any apps, so I have enough to check NSC and stuff every so often. Everything else I just go through the wireless on the phone.

Exactly; there seem to be quite a lot of places with free wifi too. If we *have* to pay less, we'll always find a way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here