Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1623242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone X

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do people who don't like or have an Apple phone get SO arsey about them? I don't like BMWs but I don't feel the need to wade in and slag them off when people are talking about how much they love them. I don't give a shit about androids, and I don't have one, but neither do I feel the need to run them down either
    What's your problem with BMWs?
    "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      What's your problem with BMWs?
      Just never appealed to me, Alfas and Porsches are more my thing. I know BMW make fine motors but I have never wanted one.
      Falmer, concrete proof that if you build it they will come

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      Just never appealed to me, Alfas and Porsches are more my thing. I know BMW make fine motors but I have never wanted one.
      Fair enough.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Bloody hell. I was only pointing out that the price comparison that Bozza made was bollocks. Which it was.

The defensive nature of Apple cult members is pretty worrying sometimes.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Pricing it the same in as $ is simply asking you if you'd like to be fleeced.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by 5ways View Post
      Pricing it the same in as $ is simply asking you if you'd like to be fleeced.
      Has been the case on every iPhone since year dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty___Mcfly View Post
      Has been the case on every iPhone since year dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Not it hasn't. Only since the iPhone 7. I bought my 6 in the states and it was not the same price in . They used to take the exchange into account.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sensible View Post
      Not it hasn't. Only since the iPhone 7. I bought my 6 in the states and it was not the same price in . They used to take the exchange into account.
      You're not taking account of tax though.

The UK price includes VAT, which is 20%, the quoted US price does not include any sales tax. The quoted US price will increase depending on which state you live in, as Sales Tax is set at a state not national level.

Example, current 32gb iPhone 7 Plus.

UK price: 669
      US price: $669. Adding in tax in, say, Louisiana, adds $65.23 to this, making a total price of $734.23.

UK price is actually 557.50 (net) + 111.50 (tax)
      US price is actually $669.00 (net) + $65.23 (tax)

$669 @ 1 = $1.32 = 506.81

So, yes, a UK phone is more expensive but a fair old chunk of that is due to our higher sales tax.

With Brexit uncertainty, it wouldn't take much of a weakening in Sterling for the net prices in both countries to be even closer than they are.
      Please buy from Amazon via this link. Thanks.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      You're not taking account of tax though.

The UK price includes VAT, which is 20%, the quoted US price does not include any sales tax. The quoted US price will increase depending on which state you live in, as Sales Tax is set at a state not national level.
      Example, current 32gb iPhone 7 Plus.

UK price: 669
      US price: $669. Adding in tax in, say, Louisiana, adds $65.23 to this, making a total price of $734.23.

UK price is actually 557.50 (net) + 111.50 (tax)
      US price is actually $669.00 (net) + $65.23 (tax)

$669 @ 1 = $1.32 = 506.81

So, yes, a UK phone is more expensive but a fair old chunk of that is due to our higher sales tax.

With Brexit uncertainty, it wouldn't take much of a weakening in Sterling for the net prices in both countries to be even closer than they are.

Sales tax is not applied by Apple and therefore they have nothing to do with it, but with calculations I am taxing tax into account. My iPhone 6 Plus that I bought in New York was 80 cheaper than the uk after all taxes. Now at that time the rate was around 1.55 to the dollar. The price in was not the same as $. Which is what I was pointing out to another poster. Now Apple have decided to ignore exchange rates and price the iPhone X in parity between &$, the savings after tax are circa 200! I was pointing out that this wasn't always the case. Apple used to actually be quite clever with its pricing. You couldn't save any more than 8% on any device or computer whether you purchased in Canada, the US or Hong Kong. Now it's different. I find that strange.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sensible View Post
      Sales tax is not applied by Apple and therefore they have nothing to do with it
      Sales tax is applied by Apple at the point of sale, and when you buy online from Apple, they'll apply sales tax based on your zipcode.

Perhaps, you didn't mean "applied" maybe you meant "set".

Regardless, I'm not arguing with you - I'm well aware of the differing prices previously charged - I'm typing this on a MacBook Air bought in the US.

The change is largely due to the weakening of Sterling against the US Dollar, and that as Apple set prices for a whole year in advance, they are factoring in the possibility of Sterling weakening from the current level. Finally, devices are sold at certain price points - they're never going to sell a phone for, say 672. It will be 649 or 699.
      Please buy from Amazon via this link. Thanks.