Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] iPhone X

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Having had every iphone since the 3GS on launch up until now, This is the most underwhelmed I've ever been about a launch. THe 8 offers me pretty much nothing over my 7 plus. The X offers not a great deal more but for a stupid price tag. I think I am going to stick with the 7 plus for this year and if they fail to wow me next year I am going to start investigating the dark side that is Android.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This facial recognition thing then. Could you hold up a picture of yourself to the screen and unlock it ?

What if you accidentally shave an eyebrow off, will that render your phone unlockable ? What if you're one of those wallies who goes to football with facepaint on, will that scupper your access as well ?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This facial recognition thing then. Could you hold up a picture of yourself to the screen and unlock it ?

What if you accidentally shave an eyebrow off, will that render your phone unlockable ? What if you're one of those wallies who goes to football with facepaint on, will that scupper your access as well ?

Just use the code, like now if you have a wet or sticky finger!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They're running out of ideas. Can see my Iphone 6 lasting for few years yet now its got a rugged wrap around it

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

No it works by building a 3d model of your features by firing 30,000 IR dots at you.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Obvious caveat, WTF do I know, but this is more expensive that a Macbook Air, or any of the iPad range. I am struggling to understand the pricing. Yes I know a Macbook Air doesn't take photos or make telephone calls, but how about this - you could (quite literally) buy an iPhone 7 AND an iPad for the same money (or a little less). Common-sense indicates Apple have this wrong, but as I said - I am no expert.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Obvious caveat, WTF do I know, but this is more expensive that a Macbook Air, or any of the iPad range. I am struggling to understand the pricing. Yes I know a Macbook Air doesn't take photos or make telephone calls, but how about this - you could (quite literally) buy an iPhone 7 AND an iPad for the same money (or a little less). Common-sense indicates Apple have this wrong, but as I said - I am no expert.

This isn't just Apple though, is it?

The new Samsung flagship phones are only slightly cheaper (and you'll more than make that back with an iPhone when it comes to resale).

New high-spec phones cost a lot of money.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
This isn't just Apple though, is it?

The new Samsung flagship phones are only slightly cheaper (and you'll more than make that back with an iPhone when it comes to resale).

New high-spec phones cost a lot of money.

I can find the Samsung S8+ for 700 quid. That's quite a difference.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
I say this as someone who has had an iPhone since forever.. The keynote yesterday was dreadful and the new phones are as uninspiring as can be. I've been sitting on my upgrade waiting for that keynote, but I'm genuinely having first world problems now deciding whether to switch to a note 8 tomorrow, but I just dunno about android. Last time I used it, it was jank. That was a long time ago though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I say this as someone who has had an iPhone since forever.. The keynote yesterday was dreadful and the new phones are as uninspiring as can be. I've been sitting on my upgrade waiting for that keynote, but I'm genuinely having first world problems now deciding whether to switch to a note 8 tomorrow, but I just dunno about android. Last time I used it, it was jank. That was a long time ago though.

I'd agree with that (I'm on a 7plus) ...but I looked at my son in laws Android phone last week and still hate the OS so just sticking with what I have

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

You are probably talking about the new products. But the keynote itself was amateur. Tim Cook and the rest were all over the place with the presenting (autocue nightmares possibly). Loads of empty seats in the auditorium. The complete mess up of the first look at facial recognition on the 'X' when it failed spectacularly and he had to resort to a pass code to get in.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I still have my Iphone 6, I saw the removal of a headphone port as a backwards step so didnt bother to upgrade to the 7 and I will not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

The I Phone 6 does everything I need it to, only issue would be battery life but no one has cracked that yet.

I will be looking a lot closer to what Andrioid phones can offer now, as I am completely priced out of the I-Phone Market. I really hope this fails until prices are massively cut.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

What were you expecting and what more do you think you'll get from the note 8 (besides the S-Pen)?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I'd agree with that (I'm on a 7plus) ...but I looked at my son in laws Android phone last week and still hate the OS so just sticking with what I have

These.

iPhones have stagnated massively, but then you look at Androids and shudder. Not sure where to go from here...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can find the Samsung S8+ for 700 quid. That's quite a difference.

I meant the Note 8 which was c£900 when I looked last week-ish.

One difference between Android-land and iPhone-land is that the prices of iPhones will remain the same. Apple set them now and they will stay where they are for the whole release cycle, ie until this time next year. Android phone prices typically fall, and quite quickly, presumably as someone else (LG, HTC, Motorola etc) bring out the next best Android phone ever the month after and the month after that etc.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
What were you expecting and what more do you think you'll get from the note 8 (besides the S-Pen)?

I wasn't expecting much I guess, since it had all leaked, but I was hoping for something that would make me think wow, this is worth the price. Some small feature. But nah, we got 'animoji'. The phone is capable of fast charging but you don't even get a fast charger in the box. For a grand. That's a joke.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here