Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football 365 article ...pretty fair IMHO

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
makes out WBA were on top in the first half, which is simply not true.
It didn't say they were on top:
"Without really exerting themselves in attack, West Brom had still managed to create the two best chances of the half. Brighton were dominating possession, but taking shot after shot from outside the area without any real hope of scoring. Ben Foster tried to help out by dropping one hit right at him, but Shane Duffy was well offside when he put in the rebound."

Mind you, no-one's better qualified than Crooks to understand what it takes to survive without having any discernible talent. So maybe we should be worried.
:lol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It didn't say they were on top:
"Without really exerting themselves in attack, West Brom had still managed to create the two best chances of the half. Brighton were dominating possession, but taking shot after shot from outside the area without any real hope of scoring. Ben Foster tried to help out by dropping one hit right at him, but Shane Duffy was well offside when he put in the rebound."
Makes out that that Brighton were quite ineffective and not looking at all like scoring anytime soon, which is simply not true.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Very good article. Not entirely accurate, as I think he underestimates Duffy and Propper, but all in all, a good read.

They also resisted the temptation to say that our survival hopes rest almost entirely on the shoulders of Gross, as he's our only good player. I've read this elsewhere and it shows that the person writing it has only bothered to actually watch the highlights of the West Brom game. Prior to that, Gross hasn't been great and it's good for the article to be honest and point that out. I'm sure he'll get better and better as time goes on.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Meh. I'm waiting for Exile's report which will be far more accurate. Haven't seen it yet so he's obviously slacking as it's now Tuesday.

EDIT: Ok, seen the thread!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Meh.

Liked this at the end though.

"Crystal Palace fans can only wish they felt the same way."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed, but I don't think the article said otherwise - although we were the best side in the first half, we didn't create a good chance until the goal (with Duffy's effort being well offside).

March had a good shot, which unfortunately went straight to Foster.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That's when the north stand started chanting Score in a minute, we're gonna score in a minute. It was obvious we were getting the upper hand. Barry's shot was the only danger point, which produced a great save from Ryan.

Didn't hear that, but remembered thinking "this is the best we've played all season" and looking at the clock on 25min - and we kept it up until H/T and beyond. Really was a good performance.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's a well reasoned article in places but too negative. Rehashes the old Hughton being too cautious cliche and makes out WBA were on top in the first half, which is simply not true. They barely threatened. Wrong to call March's cross hopeful. It was a decent ball to a dangerous area. Insulting to Duffy, underestimates Propper. Follows the general patronising tone of national comment that has us currently as second relegation favourites despite finishing streets ahead of Huddersfield last season and comfortably matching Newcastle - who have barely strengthened at all. And that's not even starting on the circus at Selhurst, the shambles at West Ham, the increasing questions over Eddie Howe's poor signings and a Swansea side who have gambled with their replacements for the 2 players that kept them up last season.

Garth Crooks produced an article that was even worse - basically saying we only won because WBA couldn't be arsed and we're just not up to it.

Mind you, no-one's better qualified than Crooks to understand what it takes to survive without having any discernible talent. So maybe we should be worried.

I think you're right in this. It's a pretty fair assessment, but a tad negative, especially about Propper and Duffy, but the ranking of players he's provided is not too far off what many of us would say, which goes something along the lines of:

First pool: Dunk, Knockaert, Gross, March, (Propper?), (Izquidero?)
Second pool: Stephens, Duffy, Bruno(? at 37), (Ryan?)
Third pool: Murray, Hemed, the absent Baldock, Suttner, Kayal, Sidwell, Hunemeier, Goldson, Rosenior, (Scholetto?)
(The unexamined) Fourth pool: Murphy, Skalak, (Bong?)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agreed, but I don't think the article said otherwise - although we were the best side in the first half, we didn't create a good chance until the goal (with Duffy's effort being well offside).

Gross was pretty close with a left-footed effort from outside the penalty area, which was the equal of Barry's in my view. Solly's shot wasn't too far off either -- it certainly caused Foster problems and I think we would have had a good chance of putting the rebound in if our players had remained onside.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Gross was pretty close with a left-footed effort from outside the penalty area, which was the equal of Barry's in my view.
I can't even remember the Gross shot you talk speak of (I've checked, you mean the one that Foster watched over the bad), but everyone remembers the Barry effort, a blast at goal from not too far out. And the other Barry effort that was on target but hit his own player.
Solly's shot wasn't too far off either -- it certainly caused Foster problems
Wasn't that due to poor keeping rather than us creating a decent chance in the first place?

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't even remember the Gross shot you talk speak of (I've checked, you mean the one that Foster watched over the bad), but everyone remembers the Barry effort, a blast at goal from not too far out. And the other Barry effort that was on target but hit his own player.
Wasn't that due to poor keeping rather than us creating a decent chance in the first place?

My point is that we had some decent opportunities in the first half, in contrast to what Mr 365 is saying (which you seem to be endorsing), and that our dominant possession wasn't just toothless. Beyond those two chances I've mentioned, we were also in several decent situations that were close to leading to a chance -- there was some menace in our play, it wasn't just pointless possession as that article indicates.
As regards your comments: yes, it was the effort that "Foster watched over the bar", but it didn't miss by much and Foster showed that his reflexes aren't up to much, so if it was a foot or so lower, it would have caused some problems. That shot was hit from a similar distance to the one that Barry hit, despite what you state. March's effort was hit with some power and through a crowd of players which prompted Foster to spill it (it was arguably less of an error than Ryan vs Leicester).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My point is that we had some decent opportunities in the first half, in contrast to what Mr 365 is saying (which you seem to be endorsing), and that our dominant possession wasn't just toothless. Beyond those two chances I've mentioned, we were also in several decent situations that were close to leading to a chance -- there was some menace in our play, it wasn't just pointless possession as that article indicates.
As regards your comments: yes, it was the effort that "Foster watched over the bar", but it didn't miss by much and Foster showed that his reflexes aren't up to much, so if it was a foot or so lower, it would have caused some problems. That shot was hit from a similar distance to the one that Barry hit, despite what you state. March's effort was hit with some power and through a crowd of players which prompted Foster to spill it (it was arguably less of an error than Ryan vs Leicester).
Ok.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Tony Pulis felt that his players felt the effects of the international break took their toll on his team.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2017/september/opposition-view-west-bromwich-albion/

Didn't anyone tell him that Ryan played for Australia, Duffy, Propper, Hemed and Groß, had also been on international duty?

I didn't know about Groß -- does this mean that, come next season, we might have a World Cup winner in our squad*?

* This is dependent on: Germany winning the World Cup; Groß playing in it; and his remaining a B&HA player next season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didn't know about Groß -- does this mean that, come next season, we might have a World Cup winner in our squad*?

* This is dependent on: Germany winning the World Cup; Groß playing in it; and his remaining a B&HA player next season.

Sorry, I got carried away. No, Groß, didn't play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here