Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace : who is pulling the strings?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm guessing he's basically like all the other American sports team owners, hungry for success and will not take failure as an excuse.
No you couldn't be further from the truth.
Have a Wiki of the 76'ers, you'll see the clubs decline coincides with Blackstone taking control.
The only difference between the NBA and EPL is they have guaranteed income irrespective of the level of performance.

I could go on, but I won't as it's hard to write their ownership strategy without sounding libelous :lol:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I was working in New York when Harris and Blitzer bought their stake. The guy who sat next to me was from Philly and had lost all interest in the 76ers given what a mess they had made of the team. Similarly the Devils have been consistently useless in their ownership.

I remember posting something NSC at the time saying my US colleagues thought they would be a waste of time and only in it for the money. Looks like they were right.

But let's face only a complete knob with a silly hairdo like Parish would sack a manager after 4 games. We gave semi 4 months and even then TB didn't want to sack him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No you couldn't be further from the truth.
Have a Wiki of the 76'ers, you'll see the clubs decline coincides with Blackstone taking control.
The only difference between the NBA and EPL is they have guaranteed income irrespective of the level of performance.

I could go on, but I won't as it's hard to write their ownership strategy without sounding libelous :lol:

Blimey, more ups and downs than than the proverbial lady of the night :lolol:
Palarse are just a mere apprentices!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey, more ups and downs than than the proverbial lady of the night :lolol:
Palarse are just a mere apprentices!

Not really ups and downs.

More a case of just down, having stripped out high value assets, replaced them with 'kidz', don't play the best kids, but still charge full price admittance, take the full share from the NBA pot, while losing 80-90% of matches, each season.

As said it's tough to not sound libelous esp as the practise of 'tanking for the draft' is quite common in US sport.
It just usually doesn't happen over multiple seasons with no end in sight.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not really ups and downs.

More a case of just down, having stripped out high value assets, replaced them with 'kidz', don't play the best kids, but still charge full price admittance, take the full share from the NBA pot, while losing 80-90% of matches, each season.

As said it's tough to not sound libelous esp as the practise of 'tanking for the draft' is quite common in US sport.
It just usually doesn't happen over multiple seasons with no end in sight.

Is tanking for the draft, where some lesser teams, say, get the better players?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is tanking for the draft, where some lesser teams, say, get the better players?

Yeah, the best college kids go to the worse NBA, NFL, etc franchise.
So teams get to a point in the season when looking forward they think college kid x is better than player y.
But the only way they can guarantee getting kid x is to be as bad as possible making themselves more available in the close season draft.

The problem with the 76'ers is they have been doing that for a while, but then trading kid x off for even more 'lesser' kids and so on.

Other teams do this for 1, 2 maybe 3 seasons and have the jigsaw complete.
The same can't be said for the 76'ers.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Yeah, the best college kids go to the worse NBA, NFL, etc franchise.
So teams get to a point in the season when looking forward they think college kid x is better than player y.
But the only way they can guarantee getting kid x is to be as bad as possible making themselves more available in the close season draft.

The problem with the 76'ers is they have been doing that for a while, but then trading kid x off for even more 'lesser' kids and so on.

Other teams do this for 1, 2 maybe 3 seasons and have the jigsaw complete.
The same can't be said for the 76'ers.

Thanks for the info, I'm still getting my head round all the rules.

This is an interesting read. :)

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I don't understand the workings of Palace (does anyone) but have the Yanks taken any money out of the club to date. I thought the investment was to improve facilities and not the squad. I'm sure they will want a return at some stage.
Talking to Palace friends of mine they were not surprised by the sacking, it sounds to me like a players revolt.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm guessing he's basically like all the other American sports team owners, hungry for success and will not take failure as an excuse.

Stan Kroenke isn't isn't hungry for success, just money. He doesn't care whether Arsenal win anything or not - only whether they bring in cash.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I suppose the yanks thought that it was a no brainer that Palace could continue to scrape their way to safety in the league and that, with the new tv deal, they would be guaranteed to make money.

Firstly, they seem to have ignored the fact that they may well be relegated. Secondly, Palace made a LOSS in their last reported accounting period.

They're only on it for the money, obviously. So what happens next?

Relegation really would be Armageddon for a club set up like that financially.

My heart bleeds.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I suppose the yanks thought that it was a no brainer that Palace could continue to scrape their way to safety in the league and that, with the new tv deal, they would be guaranteed to make money.

Firstly, they seem to have ignored the fact that they may well be relegated. Secondly, Palace made a LOSS in their last reported accounting period.

They're only on it for the money, obviously. So what happens next?

Relegation really would be Armageddon for a club set up like that financially.

My heart bleeds.

If there still in the bottom few by January they will spend big, throw the dice. And if that fails and they go down it will get very very ugly. Shame

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Good piece by Dominic Fifield, who is a Palace fan with good sources at the club.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ditching-short-termism?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Funny thing is over the summer all the training clips given out on the club website, were of FDB showboating with players just watching. My mate picked up on it in July and said to me " look at the players faces they really don't like him, he thinks it's all about him" and so it seems it was. Is this why some of the best players make bad managers ? They can't except they manage players not as good as they were ??

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Funny thing is over the summer all the training clips given out on the club website, were of FDB showboating with players just watching. My mate picked up on it in July and said to me " look at the players faces they really don't like him, he thinks it's all about him" and so it seems it was. Is this why some of the best players make bad managers ? They can't except they manage players not as good as they were ??

you might not be quite such a cocknocker as i think you to be, well done!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here