Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Merson

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo;8118174[B said:
]Even Motty called March "Ollie March" at the weekend on MOTD.[/B] Poor show. I'm good friends with one of the BBC Radio Humberside sports commentators and he actually puts a lot of time into researching the two teams playing in a game he's covering. Unfortunately I don't think many others share his professional pride.

Yeah I noticed that, he had just called him Solly before hand though hadnt he? So I guess its just an easy slip of the tongue on his part, rather then poor research.

Its pretty hard for any pundit to know everything about every club and their players and academy players etc, but they should be able to pronounce first team players name! but we see every week Merson pretty much struggles to pronounce anything that isnt Steve or Gary Smith lol

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Yeah I noticed that, he had just called him Solly before hand though hadnt he? So I guess its just an easy slip of the tongue on his part, rather then poor research.

Its pretty hard for any pundit to know everything about every club and their players and academy players etc, but they should be able to pronounce first team players name! but we see every week Merson pretty much struggles to pronounce anything that isnt Steve or Gary Smith lol

Its because he was up against Ollie Burke... simple slip of the tongue from Motty.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

It isn't hard for Merson because he doesn't even bother. He's presumably quite well paid for his particular brand of bullshit so you'd hope he'd find a bit of time during his week to do some research before opening that useless void he calls a mouth.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A presumably highly paid ignorant embarrassment.
It's like Arry in management. Gets away with being useless because he's a "character" and has loads of mates "in the game". Merson's greatest input to Soccer Saturday seems to be shouting "he's hit the beans!" before mumbling an incorrect pronunciation of the player's name.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
It's like Arry in management. Gets away with being useless because he's a "character" and has loads of mates "in the game". Merson's greatest input to Soccer Saturday seems to be shouting "he's hit the beans!" before mumbling an incorrect pronunciation of the player's name.

Don't forget Desmond

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I particularly enjoyed Shearer and Wright desperately trying to find something to talk about regarding Brighton.

Anyway, the fundamental reason there are bad pundits is that their ex-pro arrogance prohibits them from doing any research because they "know the game"

Thought Shearer and his management skills were found out at Newcastle ?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Its good hear from all these hard working well paid commentators and pundits, spending loads of time on research and then refer variously to Tomer Hemed as , Tamer Hemed or Tomer Hamad and of course our left winger Solomon March. Its not an issue as I prefer, as im sure CH does, to fly under the radar, the pundits appear to believe that we are going down and thats just fine, we'll prove them wrong.

As for the coverage on MOTD and the Sky programme with Kamara, the highlights made it look as though WBA were in the game in the first half when my recollection was that we were pretty dominant.

PS I thought that WBA looked like a Championship side.

If Barry's shot had gone in then it would have been a different game with them holding on to a 1-0 lead....our dominance was possession and some long shots then came the magic moments and to be fair we probably should have hammered them 5-0

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
You can just imagine his thought process. "Brighton have scored now so I'll put them down as getting one, but I still don't know who any of their players are so they will obviously lose. Muff have been in the Premier league for a couple of years so will beat anyone who hasn't".

He might get this one right of course!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I love Soccer Saturday (is it still called that ?), and as I don't go to games, I am generally watching it. I kinda agree that Merson can be annoying in some ways, but if you didn't have someone to liven the proceedings up somewhat - if there were 4 Matt Le Tissiers t - then it would be rather more dull. I vote to keep him on the panel, at least we get to laugh at his pronunciation of the names of some of our overseas visitors (and some home grown ones)

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I love Soccer Saturday (is it still called that ?), and as I don't go to games, I am generally watching it. I kinda agree that Merson can be annoying in some ways, but if you didn't have someone to liven the proceedings up somewhat - if there were 4 Matt Le Tissiers t - then it would be rather more dull. I vote to keep him on the panel, at least we get to laugh at his pronunciation of the names of some of our overseas visitors (and some home grown ones)

I do agree with this, but it also irritating that, when giving his post-match summary on Saturday (assuming that's what it was amongst the cockney drivel) - he was just about to start slating CH about Knockaert not being in the team at the start of the season, until Stelling advised him that he'd been injured....

THAT is how little research Merson actually does - that is why nobody should give a rats arse about his opinion.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Isnt he married to Mrs Merson
merson.jpg

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills