Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Last 15, was it really necessary to be sooo negative....

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Ok it was a great win and much needed, I understand we decided to close shop and allow West Brom to come onto us, but for heaven's sake!

Had they got a second goal, which they almost did, it would have put the wrong complexion on the match, and left us hanging on desperately, when it really was not that close for the first 70 minutes.

Grateful for the well deserved win and 3 points BUT I shudder to think how many points this may cost us during the season, if we try to hang on too much?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Players were knackered. Having to sub Bruno didn't help.

I was surprised Knockaert seemed to be on his arse though, except in the 90th+ minute when he found a bit of space and magically found some energy to dart down the line

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ok it was a great win and much needed, I understand we decided to close shop and allow West Brom to come onto us, but for heaven's sake!

Had they got a second goal, which they almost did, it would have put the wrong complexion on the match, and left us hanging on desperately, when it really was not that close for the first 70 minutes.

Grateful for the well deserved win and 3 points BUT I shudder to think how many points this may cost us during the season, if we try to hang on too much?

Why do people always think WE DECIDED to shut up shop? There is another team on a football pitch whose own play can dictate what happens. I don't think we intentionally 'close shop' at all, I think West Brom were beat, and if anything we looked like getting a 4th, but they did get a goal and that was a shot in the arm for them, and they suddenly hurried and harried us whereas previous to that, they hadn't.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Players were knackered. Having to sub Bruno didn't help.

I was surprised Knockaert seemed to be on his arse though, except in the 90th+ minute when he found a bit of space and magically found some energy to dart down the line

I think it may be because he didn't have a full pre-season & is still playing catch up fitness wise.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Why do people always think WE DECIDED to shut up shop? There is another team on a football pitch whose own play can dictate what happens. I don't think we intentionally 'close shop' at all, I think West Brom were beat, and if anything we looked like getting a 4th, but they did get a goal and that was a shot in the arm for them, and they suddenly hurried and harried us whereas previous to that, they hadn't.

Beacause it was the same in EVERY game last season?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Bold, Odd that, I was down in the South west corner, where for the last 10+ mins Nyom the fullback and Burke were pretty much stationed, and rained in a lot of crosses. We had no attacking intent, and were merely clearing the ball back to WBA best we could imho.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Pretty much this really. Plus as others have said, we had given everything and were pretty knackered with about 15 minutes left. We have always been a counter attacking team under Chris Hughton anyway, and don't mind letting the opposition have the ball in areas where they can't do us any harm.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
70 minutes seems to be becoming our Achilles heel. The composure and concentration excellently employed by our lads up until then must take an immense mental as well as physical toll. But they can hardly be accused of caving in then, just a bit of stoic hanging on required as WBA decided to start playing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Beacause it was the same in EVERY game last season?

It wasn't. And when it was, it was generally against a good side trying to get back into the game. AGAIN, it's not always our decision, because if a team is behind in the last 15mins, they take risks, they throw everyone forward. It's rare you can just knock the ball about and keep pressing forward unless you really are a step up in quality from the team you are playing. Same when we were behind, you start throwing everything at the other team.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We were clearly knackered.....Gross, Propper, Stephens and March in particular had run their guts out and I don't think Muzza helped much as he seemed unable to hold the ball up like Tomer had been doing and seemed more intent on committing niggly fouls. Interesting stats from the weekend

miles.jpg

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Quite.

Olly Burke came on and immediately moved them 15 yards further up the pitch.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
70 minutes seems to be becoming our Achilles heel. The composure and concentration excellently employed by our lads up until then must take an immense mental as well as physical toll. But they can hardly be accused of caving in then, just a bit of stoic hanging on required as WBA decided to start playing.

The WBA goal was scored and assisted by their two subs, that Pulis brought on, so it was a classic case of fresh legs. That's why Murray was brought on because he is good at defensive headers.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The WBA goal was scored and assisted by their two subs, that Pulis brought on, so it was a classic case of fresh legs. That's why Murray was brought on because he is good at defensive headers.

But it was two poor errors by us on their goal.

Propper chased the ball and lost shape, Gross tried to slot in, but got caught ball watching as Morrison jogged past him.

Thought Murray was lucky not to see red. Felt we should have got another fresh pair of legs on, perhaps Uwe as a DM or Izquierdo for Solly who looked shattered.

Overall just a great performance though.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We were clearly knackered.....Gross, Propper, Stephens and March in particular had run their guts out and I don't think Muzza helped much as he seemed unable to hold the ball up like Tomer had been doing and seemed more intent on committing niggly fouls. Interesting stats from the weekend

View attachment 89115

Just the 73.2 miles over the WEEKEND – by the WHOLE team? Pfft - lightweights, eh Dazzer? You could knock that out in just over half a day, couldn't you? :thumbsup:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We were tired although I was a bit confused as to why Hughton didn't bring on Murray and Izquierdo around the 70 minute mark as it was clear to me we were a bit fatigued, Hemed looked dead on his feet. To be fair though Murray didn't add much when he came on, ball didn't stick and he was just making pointless fouls.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here