Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MotD2 last night - Chris Sutton

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What is wrong with him? Seemed extremely pissed off throughout, on the verge of a proper argument with an increasingly exasperated Chappers throughout the show, and it got to the point of actually making for slightly uncomfortable viewing.

He seemed like a man being forced to do a job he absolutely hates. Thoughts?

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
When he first starting giving his opinions/analysis he seemed to disagree with a lot of the other pundits, but would explain why and was fairly friendly. Now on any show I hear/see him on it's almost as if someone has told him in advance "Can you disagree with what everyone has said and pick arguments for the sake of it".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"He won't be asked back in a hurry" I said.

They all lost their way on the high boot point I thought and I got frustrated at all of them.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
He found a niche in the commentator market where he simply disagrees with anything even if it's glaringly the wrong choice to disagree with and then gets paid very well for it , unlike the other multitude of yes i agree lickers i quite like his style if indeed style is the correct phrase .

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What is wrong with him? Seemed extremely pissed off throughout, on the verge of a proper argument with an increasingly exasperated Chappers throughout the show, and it got to the point of actually making for slightly uncomfortable viewing.

Agreed. He looked properly angry with Chappers, and there was genuine exasperation coming back from Chappers. It did look like something was kicking off between them, and would have loved for the red button to have had coverage of them throughout the show. I;d have been watching that over the games, just to see how bad it was getting.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I like to see opposing views from pundits but he was slightly arrogant about his views. He won't last long because he will alienate viewers. If his contract is not a long term contract he won't last the season

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Hilarious viewing. When Chappers was talking about 'if' FDB goes would a new manager change the playing system and I honestly thought he was going to tell him to f*** off and nut him. Looked incredulous, almost livid. :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My lads LOVE Sutton, because he is always on the verge of a FIGHT. Makes for very entertaining / uncomfortable viewing. They often watch SPL games* on BT sport, just for the friction between Sutton and Steven Craigan. They seem to hate each other.

They don't even watch the actual game, just the half time and final analysis!

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Friend of mine used to play cricket with him in Norfolk where he's based (first eleven county league, apparently Sutton was a class act with the bat) and said he was the most miserable, grumpy and angry man ever. Cutting wit apparently but was prone to regular absolute hissy fits whenever he got out, throwing his kit all over the show and god forbid you dropped a catch off his bowling!

Suggests his confrontational style on MOTD isn't just an act, sounds like a right CJTC if you ask me

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Can't stand him. Clearly thinks the way to make a name for himself is to be loud and confrontational the whole time even when his opinion is clearly nonsense. In many ways he's not wrong - he makes a loud, shouty point and lo and behold 5live lead with the headline, "Chris Sutton believes....blah blah blah" WHO CARES WHAT HE THINKS! Turn off the radio when he's on.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This isn't the first time. I heard him a few weeks ago on Talk Sport (I think, may have been 5 live?).

He was taking on all comers in a highly aggressive manner. Like others have mentioned, he has probably adopted this"Style" to make him be noticed.

Bit like Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Agreed. He looked properly angry with Chappers, and there was genuine exasperation coming back from Chappers. It did look like something was kicking off between them, and would have loved for the red button to have had coverage of them throughout the show. I;d have been watching that over the games, just to see how bad it was getting.

It's the same when they're both on Five Live. Chappers regularly takes little pot shots at him, as do other guests. Like others have said, he seems to take a contrary point of view for the sake of it and then ignores any arguments against, getting increasingly angry. I hit the off switch when I hear he's on.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He's there to make waves. I think he's a tool but that is kinda the point.

This isn't the first time. I heard him a few weeks ago on Talk Sport (I think, may have been 5 live?).

He was taking on all comers in a highly aggressive manner. Like others have mentioned, he has probably adopted this"Style" to make him be noticed.

Bit like Katie Hopkins and Piers Morgan.

These. I'm in no doubt that these people are put up to the 'controversial' with the qualification that they've 'played the game at the highest level'. To be honest, they come across like that, but then the next minute it's forgotten and it's onto the next thing. That just seems to be the way media is these days: outrage at someone/something and then it's all forgotten and it's onto the next big thing. Sutton does seem to stand out as a negative/miserable/controversial pundit, but it's exactly that – he stands out. And therefore it creates an interest in him and what he's doing.

It doesn't help that I'm a massive cynic. I read something earlier about a 'spat' between Richard Hammond and Steve Coogan. My initial reaction was: publicity stunt – someone's either struggling for viewers/ratings or they've got something new coming up that they want/need to plug. I'm convinced a lot of these 'stories' are just fabricated, just to grab attention.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Him & Chappers are regular sparring partners on 5live football daily's The Monday Night Club. I find it quite entertaining & he often talks a lot of sense; he is a very angry man though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
said he was the most miserable, grumpy and angry man ever. Cutting wit apparently but was prone to regular absolute hissy fits whenever he got out, throwing his kit all over the show and god forbid you dropped a catch off his bowling!

Probably Mrs Sutton's fault. Behind every angry man at work is a woman who makes his life hell at home.

And this may not help. Imagine having everything he had only to completely blow it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ker-blames-problems-bad-financial-advice.html

ps) he also has five children :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here