Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

gus poyet

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Tel Aviv where there was at the time multiple rocket attacks by Palestinians (July 2014 was one of the worst periods for this in years), or Watford where he was admitted to hospital with a heart problem, then offered his resignation as he was too ill to work every day, as is required of a football manager?

Pretty harsh to label either of those as mental instability frankly.

Oscar did come across as a bit flaky, but he has been pretty successful where ever he has decided to stick around. When you look at the players he had with us and the injuries, he did an amazing job getting us to the play offs. I think he is a very good manager and he currently having a great time at Saint-Étienne, his twitter feed is full of pictures of him smiling ( I don't remember him being much of a smiler). I am really glad he is happy and I would not bet against him one day managing Barcelona.

As with Gus the football we played under him when we were in league one was revolutionary and we walked the league. Financially he will have no issues, but his ego will/has destroy his career. I will always be grateful for what he did and he certainly added excitement and energy when it was a bit waning in our 11 season at Withdean.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes, he did.

In 2013 a total of 70 rockets or mortars were fired from Palestine in to Israel, source

In July and August 2014 3,839 rockets and mortars were fired from Palestine in to Israel, source

Let's say you have a young family, like Oscar does. Do you A. show mental instability by leaving your football managers job after two games? or B. show right minded thinking by living in a war zone with your young family? Remember you were a professional footballer for arguably the biggest team in the world so you are not short of money.

Israel has one of the best defence systems in the world, the iron dome. You are more likely to be stabbed in the UK than being hit by a rocket in Israel. Doesn't wash with me that i'm afraid

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Israel has one of the best defence systems in the world, the iron dome. You are more likely to be stabbed in the UK than being hit by a rocket in Israel. Doesn't wash with me that i'm afraid

Fine you don't like a Garcia but painting him as some sort nut job is pretty sh!t TBH.
Going back to Macca was a mistake ( he's not the first manager to make the mistake of going back. MA?). As has been said he had a heart issue at Watford for which he was advised to take time off. Neither of which are the actions of someone with mental health issues.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Fine you don't like a Garcia but painting him as some sort nut job is pretty sh!t TBH.
Going back to Macca was a mistake ( he's not the first manager to make the mistake of going back. MA?). As has been said he had a heart issue at Watford for which he was advised to take time off. Neither of which are the actions of someone with mental health issues.

It's pretty shit when people like you make up shit. Have i painted him as a nut job ? Show me where ?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Yes, it does. 9,713 were injured during those attacks in July and August 2014. So one in 900 of the Israeli population.

2014/15 Knife crime in England and Wales was 26,370 offences in 2014/15, so one in 2,126. I expect that Garcia lived in a relatively safe area. Not much knife crime in the Hove suburbs.

Why not just admit you are wrong?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes, it does. 9,713 were injured during those attacks in July and August 2014. So one in 900 of the Israeli population.

2014/15 Knife crime in England and Wales was 26,370 offences in 2014/15, so one in 2,126. I expect that Garcia lived in a relatively safe area. Not much knife crime in the Hove suburbs.

:lol:

Noticed you missed out the stats for fatalities. You want to publish that instead ?

An injury could mean a graze/ minor cut

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Besides you are talking out of your arse. 8 deaths and 60 injured in 2014. All of them during an operation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_rocket_attacks_on_Israel,_2014

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It's pretty shit when people like you make up shit. Have i painted him as a nut job ? Show me where ?

Post 13.

Brylon mentioned Gus as been unstable, you then replied ' that honour goes to Garcia'. I'm not the only poster that has read into this that you believe that Garcia is unstable. If you don't like someone and think he's a lightweight for ditching clubs, then fine, say as much, however the evidence certainly doesn't back that up.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think he was proved right re his 'ceiling' speech. Look at the next two seasons after he left. Then look at how the level of investment /recruitment went up after that, and the results on the pitch. It's a shame it ended so badly, because he was probably the most influential manager we ever had. He changed everything.

That said, he'd make a superb pantomime villain if he went to Palace. Please let it happen.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think he was proved right re his 'ceiling' speech. Look at the next two seasons after he left. Then look at how the level of investment /recruitment went up after that, and the results on the pitch. It's a shame it ended so badly, because he was probably the most influential manager we ever had. He changed everything.

That said, he'd make a superb pantomime villain if he went to Palace. Please let it happen.

Absolutely right.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Can't agree at all.

His 'ceiling' speech is what made me despise Poyet ( along with the incessent job touting ).

A total insult to the ambition of the club, and in particular an insult to Tony and the £100million+ he had plowed into the club at the time.

I hate him to be blunt.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Can't agree at all.

His 'ceiling' speech is what made me despise Poyet ( along with the incessent job touting ).

A total insult to the ambition of the club, and in particular an insult to Tony and the £100million+ he had plowed into the club at the time.

I hate him to be blunt.

But he was right. We weren't going to go any higher unless we upped the investment and changed things drastically. It took us two seasons to realise it, and when we did, look what happened.

One thing about Gus, he always said what he thought. I found it refreshing compared to the standard media-trained dullards, who just trot out cliche after cliche without actually giving an opinion that we normally get in the game. Unfortunately a lot of genteel Sussex folk couldn't handle someone who liked to speak his mind.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But he was right. We weren't going to go any higher unless we upped the investment and changed things drastically. It took us two seasons to realise it, and when we did, look what happened.

One thing about Gus, he always said what he thought. I found it refreshing compared to the standard media-trained dullards, who just trot out cliche after cliche without actually giving an opinion that we normally get in the game. Unfortunately a lot of genteel Sussex folk couldn't handle someone who liked to speak his mind.
Well I have an extreme problem with Gus' ceiling speach.

He was club manager at the time he gave that speach - season over at the hands of palace of all teams - and he had one job and one job only - to communicate a vision and a hope for the future. To lift the club.

But no. He had to make it all about Project Poyet.

Hate him with a passion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Since Poyet threw his toys out of the pram after the Palace defeat three things have become abundantly clear:

1. He is nowhere near as good a manager as he thinks he is.
2. Chris Hughton is a far better manager.
3. There never was a glass ceiling.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
All the Poyet lickers forget he was about to jump ship to Reading of all places even the Reading players had been told he was the new manager, Bloom should of sacked him then, as for the play offs leaving Vicente on the bench at Selhurst when the game was there to be won criminal mans a tool. He believed one day he would be Chelsea boss more like Southsea boss. Had we gone up with him it would of been the most boring season ever ending in relegation. #****

el punal

Silly man - the Amex was set up for him. Pitch to his specs and all the rest of it - he could have had a job here for life. His ego just got in the way of everything. Look where we are today and look at where he is

Too true! I often think, had he not thrown his toys out of the pram, how far he would have taken the Albion. The sad thing is he transformed Brighton from a non-descript third division team to so nearly being a Premier League outfit, but as you say his ego took over and ruined everything.:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here