Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

gus poyet

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What did Mickey Thomas do wrong, I can't remember.

He never really moved down here so when he went home he tended to stay there longer than anticipated and missing games when he was on the team sheet. I remember word of his absence going around the Goldstone and wishing for him just to turn up in time for the game but it would never happen. He seemed like a great signing at the time but he turned out to be a frustration.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He never really moved down here so when he went home he tended to stay there longer than anticipated and missing games when he was on the team sheet. I remember word of his absence going around the Goldstone and wishing for him just to turn up in time for the game but it would never happen. He seemed like a great signing at the time but he turned out to be a frustration.

Yes, I was really pleased when we signed him. Always seemed to play well for Wrexham and Man Utd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You need to think back carefully. Not to our Div 1 Championship winning days but to our two seasons in the Championship, where he decided that rolling the ball back and forth between the back four or out to Bridcutt and then backwards, was the way to bore the opposition and our own fans to death. He had the best defence in the division ( Bridge and Upson FFS ) but reverted regularly to caution and ultimately missed a great opportunity to get us promoted. We were the form team going into the play-offs but settled for a draw at Palace instead of going for the jugular. He knows and we know that we should have gone up and subsequent comments underlined his frustration. His best form of defence was to go on the attack and direct criticism at the club.

We have a difference of opinion and perspective. I rated him then, and enjoyed the football he delivered. I have neither forgotten the Championship years, nor have I re-written my views on them since he left. I'm an accountant, I ALWAYS think "carefully."

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
£600 000 buys a lot of pies

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...ue-according-to-his-new-manager-36128267.html

Carlos Tevez is too overweight to turn out in the Chinese Super League, according to his new manager.
The former Manchester United and City star has just returned from injury after recuperating in his native Argentina but is apparently way short of where he should be in his recovery.
"I won’t pick him right now,” said Shanghai Shenhua boss Wu Jingui.
“He's not ready physically. He's not fit to play.”
Wu took over from Gus Poyet who resigned this week – and the Chinese manager has been quick to show his new charges that he will not cow to their star status.
Tevez has been linked with a return to boyhood club Boca Juniors but Wu is clearly not afraid to upset him.
“He is overweight, along with [Fredy] Guarin. I have to take responsibility for the team and the players as well,” Wu added.
"If you are unable do your utmost to play, there's no point in picking you."
Tevez has been one of the most highly-paid players in world football since joining from Boca in January – on a deal reported to be worth over £600,000-a-week.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
... the most significant aspect was that he never had a Plan B or C.

He wanted his teams to pass the ball into the net, whatever the situation. That worked in League 1, but the better sides in the Championship were able to close us down.

If CH had been our manager 5 years ago, he would have got us promoted by March.

Excellent post.

Poyet's tactics, with some very good players, shocked League One. We were great.

Opposing Championship defenders and powerhouse midfielders, had the pace, ability and strength, to sit back and smoke cigars with our laboured slow build up and toothless CMS shuttle sprinting about up front. Poyet simply wouldn't alter it.

In EACH of seasons 2011/12 and 2012/13 Poyet's Amex Albion failed to win 12 home league matches. There were so many drab matches. Hughton has been a revelation from the moment he took charge.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
lol, its plain as day that Gus wanted to change some of the style, otherwise why go for such a massively different player in CMS? yep, it didnt work as well as hoped.

Incorrect.

Poyet later blamed the departure of Murray on the Board's irrational player budgets policy in 2011.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?273719-Gus-Why-I-lost-star-striker-The-Argus

He claimed that policy prevented us landing CMS and keeping GM. It wasn't a grand strategy to change styles. The retain possession from the back tactics were consistent throughout his tenure,

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Excellent post.

Poyet's tactics, with some very good players, shocked League One. We were great.

Opposing Championship defenders and powerhouse midfielders, had the pace, ability and strength, to sit back and smoke cigars with our laboured slow build up and toothless CMS shuttle sprinting about up front. Poyet simply wouldn't alter it.

In EACH of seasons 2011/12 and 2012/13 Poyet's Amex Albion failed to win 12 home league matches. There were so many drab matches. Hughton has been a revelation from the moment he took charge.
I think we agree on most things Albion [emoji106]

Did you vote 'Remain' or 'Leave' in the Referendum?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Opposing Championship defenders and powerhouse midfielders, had the pace, ability and strength, to sit back and smoke cigars with our laboured slow build up and toothless CMS shuttle sprinting about up front
That must be why we only managed to finish 4th :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That must be why we only managed to finish 4th :rolleyes:

No it was the choking in BIG Championship games, due to incredibly negative tactics, that did for us. We could have got auto with a more adventurous set up at home...imo.

St Patrick's day was the only really good performance against the top teams at the Amex as far as my admittedly dodgy memory can remember.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as a matter of interest why was he given boot and put on garden leave

i dont believe anyone knows for sure. he took it to tribunal but the case was dropped when he went to Sunderland.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I’d imagine football circles are pretty small and if they’ve done their due diligence that have asked around about him. Shame as he’s a good manager of a team but not a good manager of his personal ambitions!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here