Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

gus poyet

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. Unfortunately a lot of genteel Sussex folk couldn't handle someone who liked to speak his mind.

This was the take from most on NSC at the time

Speaking your mind is not a problem but touting yourself at every opportunity was seen as incredibly irksome and disrespectful to a few NSC posters. We were vilified for being precious by most of the Gus worshippers and let's not kid ourselves over 95% of NSCers thought Gus walked on water and was the Messiah before Poogate and the ceiling speech.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Think we would've gone straight back down in 2013-14 had we gone up with him.

It feels like it's for the best that everything went the way it did and we've got promoted now with Hughton.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
The bloke is a tosser , hasn't shown loyalty to any club he's been at , unpopular at Chelsea , moved to spurs from Chelsea which is a no no anyway but then in the first match after he moved proceeded to kiss the tottenham badge in front of the Chelsea fans when they scored , he's a w@nker.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This was the take from most on NSC at the time

Speaking your mind is not a problem but touting yourself at every opportunity was seen as incredibly irksome and disrespectful to a few NSC posters. We were vilified for being precious by most of the Gus worshippers and let's not kid ourselves over 95% of NSCers thought Gus walked on water and was the Messiah before Poogate and the ceiling speech.

It wasn't just a tiny minority who grew tired of Poyet whilst he was still manager. Openly flirting with other jobs, overtly politicking about transfers and budgets, his dislike of Murray and 'winning' the battle of the payrise, whilst later blaming that on the Board's budgets and moaning about the club's lack of ambition.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Poyet's behaviour towards the end undone any good will I had for the bloke. The Reading job, the toys out the pram DURING the Palace game (if I recall correctly) and telling the players he was off no matter what and then the ceiling debacle. I remember when he was going to Reading how gutted I was to be losing him. That all changed very quickly...

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The bloke is a tosser , hasn't shown loyalty to any club he's been at , unpopular at Chelsea , moved to spurs from Chelsea which is a no no anyway but then in the first match after he moved proceeded to kiss the tottenham badge in front of the Chelsea fans when they scored , he's a w@nker.

Can't blame him for turning his back on a club like Chelsea

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Short memories

If it wasn't for gus changing this shite team round playing at a shite stadium in front of 5000 die hard fans, we wouldn't have been where we are now.

Ungrateful sods

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well I have an extreme problem with Gus' ceiling speach.

He was club manager at the time he gave that speach - season over at the hands of palace of all teams - and he had one job and one job only - to communicate a vision and a hope for the future. To lift the club.

But no. He had to make it all about Project Poyet.

Hate him with a passion.

Poyet didn't care for Murray and ensured that he wasn't going to get a decent pay rise. The rest is history.

Poyet, demanding in effect that TB invest even more of HIS money, could have saved the club a small fortune and prevent years of struggling for a reliable goal scorer, by rewarding Murray.

Once Barber came in, the Board reigned in control freak Poyet's power, they didn't succumb to his open politicking about money and inevitably he left to guide Sunderland to glory with his array of coaching and man management skills (well not quite).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Short memories

If it wasn't for gus changing this shite team round playing at a shite stadium in front of 5000 die hard fans, we wouldn't have been where we are now.

Ungrateful sods

Yeah because he was the only person that could have turned it around!!! Let's not forget he had the biggest budget in Albion's history to do it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Poyet didn't care for Murray and ensured that he wasn't going to get a decent pay rise. The rest is history.

Poyet, demanding in effect that TB invest even more of HIS money, could have saved the club a small fortune and prevent years of struggling for a reliable goal scorer, by rewarding Murray.

*sigh* i do wish people citing history would remember how poor Murray was in his first year leaving Brighton, and he only had one outstanding season for them up the road (half if you look at the distribution of goals). there is no reason to know he'd do well in Championship as he didnt suit Gus's approach to the game.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not as good as he thinks he is?

Kind of feel sorry for Charlie Oatway as he has made his bed a bit and will end up getting dragged all over the place in search of work.

I wouldn't show too much sympathy, if I were you. He would have been quite happy to up sticks and go to Reading with Gus and Tarrico. All three of them knew what was going on during that period of time. A time when we were challenging for the play-offs and yet the whole management team had plans elsewhere.
Thats how committed to the cause they were.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
*sigh* i do wish people citing history would remember how poor Murray was in his first year leaving Brighton, and he only had one outstanding season for them up the road (half if you look at the distribution of goals). there is no reason to know he'd do well in Championship as he didnt suit Gus's approach to the game.
This is, of course, utter horss shit that the Gus lovers come up with.

Our entire style of play was built to suit Glenn. That's why it took about 3 months of the CMS experiment to see we'd cocked up. It's why we spent several years trying to replace Murray with a target man. It's why we took the likes of Paynter and Sam Vokes on loan and ultimately why we ended up with Ulloa. Murray was PERFECT in that side, he and Barnes scored over 40 goals the previous season and were a partnership. Imagine having CMS to compliment them. Instead we spent time dicking about with Barnes on the left wing and CMS isolated.

Yes Murray took time to settle at Palace, a new club with new players and a totally different system under Freedman. He took time to settle when he first joined us so it's not a huge shock.

His record after that is pretty decent given he had to comeback from a cruciate in the Prem.

Gus cocked up. Most believe that cost us Prem football sooner. His ego ran away with him and he ended his reign a complete tosser.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't be thankful for unbelievable times at Withdean. We were so good under him. A joy to watch.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I hope he gets a job in the studio at Sky or the Beeb, as I find him a very entertaining man to listen to.

I also found his teams very entertaining to watch and will always be immensely grateful to him and the huge step forward we took under him. That's what I felt at the time, and haven't been tempted to re-write history since. Sadly his managerial career hasn't hit the height I thought it would, but that's the business, it chews up and spits out football managers at an alarming rate. Managers go from the shiny new prospect to yesterdays man very very quickly.

You need to think back carefully. Not to our Div 1 Championship winning days but to our two seasons in the Championship, where he decided that rolling the ball back and forth between the back four or out to Bridcutt and then backwards, was the way to bore the opposition and our own fans to death. He had the best defence in the division ( Bridge and Upson FFS ) but reverted regularly to caution and ultimately missed a great opportunity to get us promoted. We were the form team going into the play-offs but settled for a draw at Palace instead of going for the jugular. He knows and we know that we should have gone up and subsequent comments underlined his frustration. His best form of defence was to go on the attack and direct criticism at the club.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You need to think back carefully. Not to our Div 1 Championship winning days but to our two seasons in the Championship, where he decided that rolling the ball back and forth between the back four or out to Bridcutt and then backwards, was the way to bore the opposition and our own fans to death. He had the best defence in the division ( Bridge and Upson FFS ) but reverted regularly to caution and ultimately missed a great opportunity to get us promoted. We were the form team going into the play-offs but settled for a draw at Palace instead of going for the jugular. He knows and we know that we should have gone up and subsequent comments underlined his frustration. His best form of defence was to go on the attack and direct criticism at the club.

Don't agree with the first part of this at all.

We absolutely tore teams apart under Poyet, and why the possession type football wasn't for some. We worked teams over, pulling them left, then right, creating opportunities.

If you want boredom surely that was the Oscar Garcia model?

However, I do agree with the second part re Palace.

The team selection, arriving late, interview post match, all behaviour of someone on his way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
All the Poyet lickers forget he was about to jump ship to Reading of all places even the Reading players had been told he was the new manager, Bloom should of sacked him then, as for the play offs leaving Vicente on the bench at Selhurst when the game was there to be won criminal mans a tool. He believed one day he would be Chelsea boss more like Southsea boss. Had we gone up with him it would of been the most boring season ever ending in relegation. #****

Yes....a lot of Gus fans still pay no heed to that.
He was talking to Reading well before the end of the season and had more than one meeting with them. Everything had been verbally agreed, hands shaken and Gus told Reading he would speak to TB. Reading were so confident of securing his services that they called the players together, after training, and told them who the next manager was going to be.
Gus returned to Brighton, played his Reading card and tried to hold TB to ransom. i.e " I'm off unless there is a better deal on the table for me here " Reading were expecting him back the next day to sign the contract but got suspicious that they were pawns in a bigger game and withdrew their offer immediately.
During some of the most important weeks in our clubs history and with a great chance of winning promotion to the PL, our manager wasn't fully committed and we all missed a great opportunity. Is it any wonder that TB found his behaviour totally unacceptable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here