Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League Imposter Syndrome

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
No, we rightfully deserve our place and pundits agree - we are always being praised about our facilities and many highlight our history. Football focus did a nice small piece on it.

I feel we deserve to be here and long it continue and I hope within a few years that Brighton is seen as an established premier league side.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm increasingly convinced that we have the potential to be an established PL club though it's increasingly apparent that clubs like ours are really just there to make up the numbers.

The Premier League is really built around the top seven or eight teams, and they need lesser clubs to beat. That's kind of the marketing plan.

The thing I guess will take most adjusting to is the idea that this isn't a truly competitive division like the Championship is, where almost every side has a chance of promotion or relegation. It says it all when we consider that for most of us, this will be a "glory" season if we finish 17th!

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I'm loving it, especially after Saturday's game.

I've now turned into a Premier League snob who pays little attention to the "lower leagues".

After all, we had to put up with it for long enough, scrabbling around for any little snippet of media coverage that we could find.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Anyone else think they have imposter syndrome from all this Premier League stuff?

Featuring on Match of the Day still feels like a one off treat, and we'll soon be back in the wilderness of Channel 5.

Full on write-ups in all the national papers that goes far beyond what we'd receive in the Championship, even though we seemed to be media darlings of sorts and were never short of coverage.

Contemplating upcoming away trips to the likes of The Emirates and Old Trafford - and not because we've been lucky in a Cup draw.

Wayne Rooney coming to the Amex in a month or so.

It all still feels a bit surreal - like I'm watching someone else's football club.
Definitely felt weird on Saturday hearing the result and that we'd won a match in the Premier League against another Premier League club :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Anyone else think they have imposter syndrome from all this Premier League stuff?

Featuring on Match of the Day still feels like a one off treat, and we'll soon be back in the wilderness of Channel 5.

Full on write-ups in all the national papers that goes far beyond what we'd receive in the Championship, even though we seemed to be media darlings of sorts and were never short of coverage.

Contemplating upcoming away trips to the likes of The Emirates and Old Trafford - and not because we've been lucky in a Cup draw.

Wayne Rooney coming to the Amex in a month or so.

It all still feels a bit surreal - like I'm watching someone else's football club.

Absolutely this.

My son spent most of saturday afternoon touching the PL patches on his shirt sleeves. When I asked what he was doing he just said "Still can't believe we are here!"

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Agree with all of this. I wonder where the cut off is though. It strikes me that all teams outside the top 6/7 must feel a bit like this however long they have been in the Premier league. The arrogance of the big clubs, the pundits who talk about them all the time, and their multitude of arm chair fans all add up to feeling like you've walked into someone else's wedding by mistake.

Even Leicester, having won the damn thing, still probably feel like this next to the giants.

I doubt it will feel any different in 20 years either. Sad but true.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm loving it, especially after Saturday's game.

I've now turned into a Premier League snob who pays little attention to the "lower leagues".

After all, we had to put up with it for long enough, scrabbling around for any little snippet of media coverage that we could find.

I haven't gone that far. In fact, I was quite pleased for Towell, getting the last minute goal to give Rotherham a 3-2 win.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I wasn't sure about this when I first saw the thread, but now I agree.

Why?

I was sat at my desk, and over the partition some of my colleagues were discussing football... we have an Aussie who supports spurs, and Man U fan and a gooner. They were talking about De Boer's sacking and then who will win the Premier League. I didn't feel 'qualified' to join in...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wasn't sure about this when I first saw the thread, but now I agree.

Why?

I was sat at my desk, and over the partition some of my colleagues were discussing football... we have an Aussie who supports spurs, and Man U fan and a gooner. They were talking about De Boer's sacking and then who will win the Premier League. I didn't feel 'qualified' to join in...

Yes, that's a great illustration.

Premier League conversations have always involved others (generally armchair fans) and gone on around me.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes, that's a great illustration.

Premier League conversations have always involved others (generally armchair fans) and gone on around me.

I think that's behind a lot of it. Premier League conversations have always been something other people do... I knew so little about the Premier League, players etc I started to think my name was Paul Merson!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
As most of the people at my place are Southampton or Liverpool fans, I was very keen to chew the fat about PL football. No ones seems that keen today though.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
It might feel a little different when I'm at the Emirates in a few weeks time, but most of the places we've been to or are going to are places I've been countless times before. Yes there's a bit more razzmatazz with the PL, but to be honest, that seems to be happening more regardless of division.

As I've been to all the games thus far, I've not had to do the pub telly thing, but when I do, it will be nice to walk into a pub and ask if they're showing the Brighton game and not get a look, like I've just asked for a hand job...

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It might feel a little different when I'm at the Emirates in a few weeks time, but most of the places we've been to or are going to are places I've been countless times before. Yes there's a bit more razzmatazz with the PL, but to be honest, that seems to be happening more regardless of division.

As I've been to all the games thus far, I've not had to do the pub telly thing, but when I do, it will be nice to walk into a pub and ask if they're showing the Brighton game and not get a look, like I've just asked for a hand job...

I take your point. Wait until Friday. Nothing screams 'Premier League' like a visit to Dean Court.

Jul 7, 2003
Strangely enough I had a similar thought during the first half of the game on Saturday. I said to my mate that it still feels like we are playing cup games against Premier League sides at the moment - especially when we were getting on top of West Brom and the crowd really got behind the team.

I also record the Sky extended highlights as well as MOTD even though I have been to the matches. It seems like I have regressed from being a 49 year old man to a 14 year old schoolboy again.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
After so many years of being so close it still feels surreal to me too - this time of year it was always back to reality and "oh well we were close" last season

Guess we all have to enjoy it while it lasts - Football Focus whole show from Amex was something I never expected to see

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here