Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League Imposter Syndrome

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone else think they have imposter syndrome from all this Premier League stuff?

Featuring on Match of the Day still feels like a one off treat, and we'll soon be back in the wilderness of Channel 5.

Full on write-ups in all the national papers that goes far beyond what we'd receive in the Championship, even though we seemed to be media darlings of sorts and were never short of coverage.

Contemplating upcoming away trips to the likes of The Emirates and Old Trafford - and not because we've been lucky in a Cup draw.

Wayne Rooney coming to the Amex in a month or so.

It all still feels a bit surreal - like I'm watching someone else's football club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, it feels all very real to me :O

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone else think they have imposter syndrome from all this Premier League stuff?

Featuring on Match of the Day still feels like a one off treat, and we'll soon be back in the wilderness of Channel 5.

Full on write-ups in all the national papers that goes far beyond what we'd receive in the Championship, even though we seemed to be media darlings of sorts and were never short of coverage.

Contemplating upcoming away trips to the likes of The Emirates and Old Trafford - and not because we've been lucky in a Cup draw.

Wayne Rooney coming to the Amex in a month or so.

It all still feels a bit surreal - like I'm watching someone else's football club.

Couldnt' agree more - was discussing this at the weekend. Wall-to-wall coverage. Want highlights of the game ? No problem, full 30 minute programme up on Sky. Match of the Day. Football Focus special. Getting mentioned all the time on the radio. Watching proper internationals warm up right in front of our seats. Agree it's all a bit surreal - luckily looks like the players are getting to grips with it even if we're not !

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That might have been the case pre-match Saturday against the Baggies, but not at five o'clock. We won, we're here, and we're staying. Up yours Garth Crooks! :albion2:

Garth is one of the grumpiest men on TV and for me, that's why I kinda like him. Good player back in the day too.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
The reason I say definitively yes, is that Man City still feels like it was a pre-season game.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Yes, definitely.

Was chatting with my young nephew about football the other day. He's an Arsenal fan (shame on his parents, I did my best) and I asked him who they were playing. Kind of, what's going on in the upper echelons of football then? But then had a moment where I realised we were in the same league and whatever the result is in that game it is relevant to us.

Haven't watched the Premier League for years so it's odd getting to know these teams and things like MOTD again.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes, definitely.

Was chatting with my young nephew about football the other day. He's an Arsenal fan (shame on his parents, I did my best) and I asked him who they were playing. Kind of, what's going on in the upper echelons of football then? But then had a moment where I realised we were in the same league and whatever the result is in that game it is relevant to us.

Haven't watched the Premier League for years so it's odd getting to know these teams and things like MOTD again.
This is me

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Whilst in Reykjavik last weekend, I found myself doing a double take when I saw a poster outside a bar there advertising live Premier League football, and then seeing us (v Bournemouth) listed on it.

Part of my brain still imagined it to be the token Championship game that nobody's going to watch amid a sea of Premier League clashes :lol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not in the slightest, Maybe when I go to a Premier league ground I havent seen us play at before. The only real WTF moment was at Leicester when they had the flames shooting out before kick off. I thought to myself well that was a bit showbiz and certainly only for the benefit of the Premier League. But other than that I feel we belong, even though I do miss being part of the Championship and not having everything we do commented on by any bloke who chooses to catch 5 mins of us to either right us off or makes us world beaters.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
even though I do miss being part of the Championship.

I did until I saw that new presenter they have on Football On 5 these days. I've no idea who she is but she really was dreadful.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
It does feel very odd but in a very good way. Although we're still being disregarded by most pundits, so some things never change.

PS: I can't stand to watch Garth Crooks on TV. He always looks like he's about to cry and it puts me on edge.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i'm just rapt to see the lads on the box every weekend without having to rely on some dodgy feed from poland or the emirates.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Not in the slightest, Maybe when I go to a Premier league ground I havent seen us play at before. The only real WTF moment was at Leicester when they had the flames shooting out before kick off. I thought to myself well that was a bit showbiz and certainly only for the benefit of the Premier League. But other than that I feel we belong, even though I do miss being part of the Championship and not having everything we do commented on by any bloke who chooses to catch 5 mins of us to either right us off or makes us world beaters.

Yeah me neither. Maybe it's the recent years of so close but not quite door-knocking, but I reckon we're exactly where we should be.

Worryingly I was chatting to a Fulham fan recently and whilst discussing the Aluko to Reading transfer felt my first ever pang of haughty football "Prem vs Lower League" superiority which a) I'm delighted to not have mentioned and b) I will fight with everything I have.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Funnily enough, that's how I feel. We've already had the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc at the Amex, but there are two or three grounds I haven't visited away, so I'm looking forward to that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here