Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sutton and Shearer

4 Not allowed!
    Having watched these two on MOTD and MOTD2 they seem to be suggesting that you can go in for the ball and if you miss because the defender gets there first you should be sent off for going in recklessly. My view is that both Mane and Ritchie should have been sent off, one was the other wasn't. Shearer and Sutton both saying that a striker has to go for those high balls yet if the ball was lower and they missed and took out the defenders fibia and tibia I bet you they would have a different view. Reckless is reckless and if it endangers an opponent then has to be off.

The only real issue is the muppet who didn't send Richie off.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

5 Not allowed!
      Quite agree. All this bollocks about Mané not intending to endanger his opponent- as you say, if he'd "not intended" to harm his opponent but had broken his leg by means of a reckless challenge, the entire viewing public would have been screaming for a red card. Therefore the fact that he merely twatted his opponent round the face instead is immaterial. Likewise Ritchie, although I admit I am somewhat biased by the knowledge that Ritchie is an utter helmet.
      The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

1 Not allowed!
      Sutton and Shearer...... good strikers ....... shite pundits!

1 Not allowed!
      Baldock's red at Newcastle was a total joke. He had every right to close down their keeper.
      Kobanî liberated 26th Jan 2015 = Modern day Stalingrad
      RIP Ceylan Ozalp, 19
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zqu...dex=11&list=WL
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I differ, I think in both cases when the players start to go for the ball the opposition players are a good 10 yards away. By the time they collide, it's considered dangerous. Had the Man City keeper pulled out of the challenge, would that have been deemed a sending off still? I'd say not. You see plenty of players controlling a ball with feet and studs up at that height. But if no one is around to challenge with their head or body to the boot, it's deemed acceptable. So do we bar players from raising their boot above hip height? What's the answer? Had the Man City keeper challenged with his foot instead of his head? What then? Still a sending off? Again I'd say no. So it's all down to interpretation and that word intent. Intending to injure an opponent and an accident are two different things, and should not carry the same punishments. Otherwise banning players from lifting a boot above hip level has to come in.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Having watched these two on MOTD and MOTD2 they seem to be suggesting that you can go in for the ball and if you miss because the defender gets there first you should be sent off for going in recklessly. My view is that both Mane and Ritchie should have been sent off, one was the other wasn't. Shearer and Sutton both saying that a striker has to go for those high balls yet if the ball was lower and they missed and took out the defenders fibia and tibia I bet you they would have a different view. Reckless is reckless and if it endangers an opponent then has to be off.

The only real issue is the muppet who didn't send Richie off.
      Surely the point should be that the forward can go in with his head if it's head high, but not his foot. If his foot is head or shoulder high, off he should go for dangerous play.
      I hope you meet someone your height, so you can see eye to eye with someone as small as you!

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
      Quite agree. All this bollocks about Mané not intending to endanger his opponent- as you say, if he'd "not intended" to harm his opponent but had broken his leg by means of a reckless challenge, the entire viewing public would have been screaming for a red card. Therefore the fact that he merely twatted his opponent round the face instead is immaterial. Likewise Ritchie, although I admit I am somewhat biased by the knowledge that Ritchie is an utter helmet.
      I trust that you were equally outraged when Stevens cleanly nicked he ball off that Middlesbrough whinger, and some of us thought he shouldn't have been sent off.
      Im The Scatman

6 Not allowed!
      It was a red card all day long.

You can't stud someone in the face and not be sent off.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Super Steve Earle View Post
      Surely the point should be that the forward can go in with his head if it's head high, but not his foot. If his foot is head or shoulder high, off he should go for dangerous play.
      My thoughts too.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
      Baldock's red at Newcastle was a total joke. He had every right to close down their keeper.
      This, sent of for being kicked by the keeper.
      You make me