Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Venice

Members

0 Not allowed!
    For a cheap lunch on the go and people watching, try Bacareto da Lele, Santa Croce, 183, 30100 Venice

Very cheap, very small snack bar - no inside seating -where tourists and locals get a quick - or long - lunch. Small glass of wine and a slider roll will set you back about three Euro. Sit by the canal or on the square nearby and watch the world go by.

And if you are going to eat or drink on St Marks Sq, take out a second mortgage or sell a kidney before you go.
    Every journey of a thousand miles begins with a single rail replacement bus service.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Flooded when I went. Struggled to get about.
      “FROM the towns all Inns have been driven: from the villages most. . . . Change your hearts or you will lose your Inns and you will deserve to have lost them. But when you have lost your Inns drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”

0 Not allowed!
      Get the water taxi back to the airport at the end and watch the hotel staff and boat pilot fight over who puts your luggage in the boat to get the tip.
      The Murano glass place is a good visit along with the Doge's Palace and St Marks Square.
      You will get lost, especially if you wander the lanes at night which can be very spooky.
      I took my wife there for her 40th birthday and we had a great time, it is steeped in history.
      Coffee in the Florian is a must as it is the oldest cafe in the world, supposedly, but watch the parquet floor as it is quite loose in places due to the flooding that happens.
      St Mark's Basilica is impressive, as well as the Rialto Bridge and the Gondoliers.
      Great view from the bell tower just outside the square, though it did look a bit iffy back then.
      I can't remember the name, but we found a small restaurant, where all the walls were covered with candle wax which had built up over all the years and someone had sculptured it into masks, faces and shapes, the Goulash Bolognaise was so good that I had two lots.
      We had a room at a hotel on the Lido, another island just off the coast and got a book of water bus tickets for the duration.
      The folks at the hotel thought that wifey was an actress and I was her bodyguard !
      All this was 16 years ago though, probably changed lots since then, fond memories.
      Jimmy Melia's shoes.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      It has changed.
      The Doge's palace is now a Weatherspoons.

0 Not allowed!
      The Palazzo Cavalli-Franchetti is a stunning building that houses some superb art if like me that's what you like. I spent most of my 2/3 days in galleries and did the 'Just one Canaletto' gag enough times for my wife to threaten divorce.
      Normally when you arrive in a great city by train you sometimes have to check you've come to the right place.
      Not Venice - you come out of the station and just gulp when you see The Grand Canal for the first time.
      Couldn't get out of St Marks square quick enough though, so busy. To be honest although I suppose you have to see it there are so many beautiful piazzas and walks that one shouldn't waste too long there.
      So, many, many thanks and see you soon, because it’s not a goodbye, I know I will come back, I have to.

0 Not allowed!
      Oh yeah ......and f.ucking gondoliers. ( one for the old Python fans there)
      So, many, many thanks and see you soon, because it’s not a goodbye, I know I will come back, I have to.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by PILTDOWN MAN View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Flooded when I went. Struggled to get about.
      Gondola?
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Questions View Post
      The Palazzo Cavalli-Franchetti is a stunning building that houses some superb art if like me that's what you like. I spent most of my 2/3 days in galleries and did the 'Just one Canaletto' gag enough times for my wife to threaten divorce.
      Normally when you arrive in a great city by train you sometimes have to check you've come to the right place.
      Not Venice - you come out of the station and just gulp when you see The Grand Canal for the first time.
      Couldn't get out of St Marks square quick enough though, so busy. To be honest although I suppose you have to see it there are so many beautiful piazzas and walks that one shouldn't waste too long there.
      Just one Canaletto gag noted. I'll see how many times I can say it.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      Gondola?
      No, unable to see if they were in a canal or street. Everyone stayed indoors.
      “FROM the towns all Inns have been driven: from the villages most. . . . Change your hearts or you will lose your Inns and you will deserve to have lost them. But when you have lost your Inns drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”

0 Not allowed!
      Just back from a run, great way to do a bit of sightseeing if you don't have time. Certainly some of the best views while running you'll get. Need to know where you're going though, which I've finally worked out after many runs. You can't go in the main tourist areas, just too crowded.
      Name:  IMG_0126.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  93.9 KB
      Tiptoe, through the North Stand,
      Wiv yer boots on......