Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chris Froome

Members

0 Not allowed!
    Have Sky won the Giro? No, they send strong teams with a strong leader by they haven't won it. Same with the Vuelta until now.

Froome does have incredible support, but he still has to perform, even with a wheel in front of you, you've got to have the legs.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bob! View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I think it would be a much better test if there weren't teams, and it was all about individuals.

The big events are more about the strength of a team than the ability of an individual.
      I get where your coming from, but cycling is a team sport for the individual, if you like. It's how it works and by and large it works well. Team Sky with their big budget, roster of riders, and riding style in Grand Tours does often make for a dull spectacle. They're not the first team to do it though, as others here will quickly point out if I don't mention it.

If we're not going to get a balancing of team budgets, and we won't because cycling as a sport is based entirely on commercial sponsorship, then what we need is smaller team numbers in Grand Tours. Reducing from 9 riders down to 7, whilst not leveling the playing field, will take some of the big team advantage away and should make for more exciting racing.

As for Froome. I'm no Team Sky fan but I do like Froome and a number of their riders. Froome has evolved into a complete rider. He can be exciting to watch when the chips are down or even when on top. He has the heart of a lion and is not afraid to take risks to take time wherever he can find it. Comes across as a humble and all round nice bloke as well. His achievements are all hard earned and thoroughly deserved.
      They hang the man and flog the woman
      Who steals the goose from off the common
      Yet let the greater villain loose
      That steals the common from the goose
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Gull View Post
      There are similarities to Formula One - the best driver gets the best car, like the best rider gets the best team and support. But presumably you have to earn the right to hold that position in the first place.

Exactly. Nibali and Contador had their bad days in this tour, not because of their teams, because of their own bad days. Froome didn't. He has in previously Vueltas, but he nailed this one. He has grown tactically, his reading of a race is now exemplary, he rarely panics, he attacks when he feels good when he could easily just hold his position.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by 1066familyman View Post
      I get where your coming from, but cycling is a team sport for the individual, if you like. It's how it works and by and large it works well. Team Sky with their big budget, roster of riders, and riding style in Grand Tours does often make for a dull spectacle. They're not the first team to do it though, as others here will quickly point out if I don't mention it.

If we're not going to get a balancing of team budgets, and we won't because cycling as a sport is based entirely on commercial sponsorship, then what we need is smaller team numbers in Grand Tours. Reducing from 9 riders down to 7, whilst not leveling the playing field, will take some of the big team advantage away and should make for more exciting racing.

As for Froome. I'm no Team Sky fan but I do like Froome and a number of their riders. Froome has evolved into a complete rider. He can be exciting to watch when the chips are down or even when on top. He has the heart of a lion and is not afraid to take risks to take time wherever he can find it. Comes across as a humble and all round nice bloke as well. His achievements are all hard earned and thoroughly deserved.
      This with a few bells on.

Think back to that attack on the decent last year in the TdF when he sat on the cross bar and pedalled for all he was worth. He's got real heart, and despite all the power meters, data etc. I think he still races with instinct, and attacking intent.

0 Not allowed!
      I think it would be a much better test if there weren't teams, and it was all about individuals.

The big events are more about the strength of a team than the ability of an individual.
      But it's a team sport. If you want to individuals pitted against individuals then maybe team sport is not for you?
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      But it's a team sport. If you want to individuals pitted against individuals then maybe team sport is not for you?
      So, if it's a team sport then why does Froome get all the plaudits?
      In this great future you can't forget your past

0 Not allowed!
      I'm far from an expert but because the team is build around him I guess.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Because it's a team sport for individuals. He's the team leader, and wins stage races by taking the least time overall. He's helped to do this by his domestiques.

There's also a team race at the Tour she France which Sky won this year. It's based on the cumulative time of the first 3 riders from each team on each stage.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
      "For 50 quid you're gonna want some ding & dong!!" - SB
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      It comes down to cyclists having a massive advantage following another cyclist, in some cases 30% less effort to maintain the same speed as the person in front of you. You could strip teams out of it, and still cyclists would form collaborations and adhoc working together, however ultimately someone does need to cross the line in the least amount of time.

Having said that, there are of course time trial stages in Grand Tours where it is a purely individual race because you race against the clock starting at separate intervals.

Grand Tours especially are also 20 or so mini races within a big race. Each stage is a cycling race in its own right, including time trials, so teams with no interest in the general classification and winning the overall race, will target winning stages. There separate winners for different aspects of the race, a points jersey for the sprinters, and a points jersey for the climbers. Points gained for winning stages, and getting to certain points in a race first, or getting to the top of a mountain first, even if its not the end of the stage.

There is a huge dynamic in these races, far more than just on the face of it Froome winning the Vuelta.
      Last edited by Bold Seagull; 10-09-2017 at 17:37.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bold Seagull View Post
      It comes down to cyclists having a massive advantage following another cycling, in some cases 30% less effort to maintain the same speed as the person in front of you. You could strip teams out of it, and still cyclists would form collaborations and adhoc working together, however ultimately someone does need to cross the line in the least amount of time..
      This is how marathon running can be when there is a packed elite field and the only aim is to win. Tactics play a huge part and it will always be better to tuck in behind the leader and conserve energy.