Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Froome

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
He is frigging amazing.

What a ride today. Kept refreshing twitter during the game. Made up for him.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
He is surely moved into the category of all time cycling greats, if he wasn't there already. Great cyclist and brilliant tactician. You can only look on in awe at the Sky organisation when you see who is in the team for the Tour of Britain, too.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Of course he is. Two English parents who were abroad when they had him, that's all.

That's as maybe, but has any successful rider ever ridden 'clean' in the entire history of the sport? If it's good enough for Eddy Merckx and all that....

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That's a great double for the fella.

I can only pedal as fast as him going uphill if my chain comes off.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Being part of Team Sky with loads of support from the other riders is a massive factor in his wins

It is. Sky structure their approach to deliver the TdF to Froome (or whoever their leading rider might be). Froome still has to deliver though and he regularly does. There are some other pretty strong teams on the world circuit - Astana, Movistar (who have had a very poor year despite their strength), BMC (who always somehow fail to deliver).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Being part of Team Sky with loads of support from the other riders is a massive factor in his wins

Would you feel better about him if he just turned up for tours on his own?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Would you feel better about him if he just turned up for tours on his own?

I think it would be a much better test if there weren't teams, and it was all about individuals.

The big events are more about the strength of a team than the ability of an individual.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I think it would be a much better test if there weren't teams, and it was all about individuals.

The big events are more about the strength of a team than the ability of an individual.

it's a team game! if it was just individuals they would all hide at the back and literally,
nothing would ever happen!

best cyclist in the best team!
and he won me money! what's not to like!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'll be very interested to see how Froome does in SPOTY this year. On achievement, he really should walk it and he'll be on the shortlist (half the battle from an agenda-driven panel). But you just get the impression he isn't the wider British public's cup of tea. The fact that Murray isn't a factor this year may help him, of course. Jimmy Anderson may make it into the shake-up for his 500, possibly? But on that basis Vardy should have been on the shortlist for his amazing calendar year when he scored the 11 PL matches in a row.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Disagree with this, it's much more like 90% individual ability 10% team ability, particularly if long individual TTs are involved.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is. Sky structure their approach to deliver the TdF to Froome (or whoever their leading rider might be). Froome still has to deliver though and he regularly does. There are some other pretty strong teams on the world circuit - Astana, Movistar (who have had a very poor year despite their strength), BMC (who always somehow fail to deliver).

Oh yes it is, more so than in any other 'individual' sport.
Froome has ridden both the Tour and Vuelta with a lieutenant just in front of him capable of being on the podium themselves.
That's a massive bonus none of his competition have had.

Sure Chris has to still bring it home, but he's the best TT'er so he knows all he has to do is ride at the tempo he feels will be fast enough to stop his competition but within his own manageable limits.
All that's done by the rider sheltering CF from the wind.

Despite their wealth, and selected stars, none of the other teams have riders good enough to back up the #1, or the team ethos to be 100% committed to the leader.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here