Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings: West Brom (h)

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
I don't get all this Stephens nonsense. He looked way more at home this week and am sure he'll continue to grow as he becomes more familiar with Propper and the step up. The confidence is definitely coming.

As for the others- everyone had good games. I so want Suttner to do well but seems to have his body position wrong when defending sometimes. Makes it too easy for people to drift past
Him. Looks a decent footballer though. And Solly made sure he wasn't exposed.

Very pleased for tomer - his scoring record in the Spanish top flight isn't bad and nor is his international return. He may surprise a few people. Would have been nice to supplement him with Dwamena, but I think him and Glenn will be ok.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Have to say I'm in the "Stephens isn't up to it" camp. He tried to blackmail us last year into letting him go as he was ready for Premiership football. Well, he's got that now and he is clearly not ready for it. His reflexes are too slow in this company and someone needs to drill into him that it is permissible for him to pass the ball forward. He has two default positions - pass it sideways or, preferably, kill any forward impetus by passing it backwards. He is a competent footballer but no more and is currently the weak link in the team

You have no idea

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't get all this Stephens nonsense. He looked way more at home this week and am sure he'll continue to grow as he becomes more familiar with Propper and the step up. The confidence is definitely coming.

As for the others- everyone had good games. I so want Suttner to do well but seems to have his body position wrong when defending sometimes. Makes it too easy for people to drift past
Him. Looks a decent footballer though. And Solly made sure he wasn't exposed.

Very pleased for tomer - his scoring record in the Spanish top flight isn't bad and nor is his international return. He may surprise a few people. Would have been nice to supplement him with Dwamena, but I think him and Glenn will be ok.

I'm not expecting much from Murray. Has looked way off the pace so far.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
So now Davy Propper has improved and is looking like a great player, have we moved onto Stephens as the central midfield scapegoat?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hemed's header was top quality, really good.
Propper's pass out to March in the first half was a thing of beauty, Dunk-esque. And it's what we do well, stretch the play from left to right. It's been said but too deep is no good for him. But needs must at the moment - Kayal/Sidwell will give him some freedom to do what he obviously does best.

I think you're thinking of Gross' pass that started off his one-two with Solly.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ryan 8 -- a new player settling in. Fancy that.
Bruno 6.5
Dunk 9 -- sheer class
Duffy 8 -- beast
Suttner 6
Knockaert 6.5
Stephens 6.5 -- started slowly, and was targeted by Barry, but something clicked mid-way through the first half, and he realised that he's good enough for this level
Propper 8 -- like him from what I've seen
March 8 -- amazing defensive work, played a part in all three goals, but the one disappointment is that he had a few opportunities to really go at their defence when well set and he chose to cross instead
Gross 9 MotM -- just shades it
Hemed 7.5 -- always gives 100%, can hold the ball up well and lay it off, and is very good in the air

Rosenior 6
Murray 5.5

CH spot on; the crowd really were good; and the ref really let us know we are in the PL

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Typical bollocks from biased twits who still have bees in their bonnets about last Summer, even though he has handled himself like a model pro.

I have no bias against him, but his performance on Saturday was not great. Slowing down the speed of play too often, to me towards the end of the first half it seemed he only wanted to play the ball backwards. Then, towards the end of the second half, I forgot he was even on the pitch.

If that's all you want from a centre midfielder, the position which should influence the tempo of our play the most, then you obviously have a different view to me. And that's OK.

I hope he gets back to his best, but if he doesn't, when Kayal or Sidwell are availble, I would give either a go in his place.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I have no bias against him, but his performance on Saturday was not great. Slowing down the speed of play too often, to me towards the end of the first half it seemed he only wanted to play the ball backwards. Then, towards the end of the second half, I forgot he was even on the pitch.

If that's all you want from a centre midfielder, the position which should influence the tempo of our play the most, then you obviously have a different view to me. And that's OK.

I hope he gets back to his best, but if he doesn't, when Kayal or Sidwell are availble, I would give either a go in his place.

Thankfully you aren't in charge though are you, and I would be shocked if CH entertained the idea for a second of dropping him on that performance, based on the fact he undoubtedly sees things very differently to you.

Sidwell is good cover fair enough, but to suggest sticking Kayal in place of him shows your lack of understanding really.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Thankfully you aren't in charge though are you, and I would be shocked if CH entertained the idea for a second of dropping him on that performance, based on the fact he undoubtedly sees things very differently to you.

Sidwell is good cover fair enough, but to suggest sticking Kayal in place of him shows your lack of understanding really.

Zzzz

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here