Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings: West Brom (h)

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
On the basis that 6 is a standard game. Not standout, not bad:

Ryan 6.5 - a bit shakey at times, made some important saves

Bruno 7 - good game today, and great linking with Knockaert
Dunk 8 - in contention for MoM, played out of his skin and looked very keen to push forward
Duffy 7 - again, played very well
Suttner 6.5 - not amazing, not bad. Looked as though March was covering for him quite a lot however

Knockaert 8 - great game, bleeds blue and white
Stephens 5 - unfortunately he hasn't stepped up yet. 80% of the time it is side or back passes, or of course taking a 25 year shot
Pröpper 7 - beginning to click, played well
March 8.5 - MoM, defending on point, wish he would take on his man more often

Groß 8 - good game, good goals and assist. Wasn't up to much before that though

Hemed 7 - assist and goal, really happy for him

Regarding Solly I couldn't agree more. The first time he took on the right back and crossed the ball, we scored. He clearly has the talent and speed but his defensive performance today was a revelation!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Let's be honest, Hughton couldn't bring on Izquierdo because he needed the defensive performance from Solly.

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Maybe..... because he was there? Surprised you'd qustion an eyewitness :lolol:

As it happens, and I was there (for an hour, anyway) I agree with you. 8 for me. Otherwise I agree with all the OP's ratings.

After about 30 minutes I was thinking "WBA are a bit meh, and we look really good. Something is surely wrong here'. But it wasn't.

What a cracking day. Our nipper (age 6) had her first taste of live football (and lasted an hour). Even wearing ear defenders, it was eventually too noisy for her :facepalm::wrong::lolol:

Saw a baby only about 6 months old leaving the WSL with ear defenders on in a baby sling. Thought it was an excellent age to start them as fans. :albion2:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I think some people are being hard on Hemed - it was his control of the ball and pass that set up Gross's second goal.

Absolutely, one goal and one assist and some on here are worried about him being a Prem player. His awareness of others around him was impressive, his vision for the second goal perfect and his goal was brave as he always is. If its in the box he's in with a chance, what are some people saying by criticising him, its just ridiculous.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Ryan - 7 - two good saves and commanded his box well. Claimed a number of crosses and looked confident.

Bruno - 7 - did well defensively and as always linked nicely with AK.
Duffy - 8.5 - great in the air. Did very well V Rondon. Great tackle on edge of the box in 2nd half. Almost gifted them a chance in the 1st but very solid overall
Dunk - 8.5 - also brilliant in the air and did great V Rondon. Didn't put a foot wrong and most of his long passing was a joy to watch.
Suttner - 7 - did very well against Phillips and Burke with the help of silly. They are slowly building a good understanding that side of the pitch.

Knockaert - 7.5 very livley in 1st half especially. Roamed the pitch looked for the ball and gave them problems. Couple decent efforts. Maybe tired later in game
Stephens - 7 - solid and broke play up well and his understanding with Propper is getting better by the game. Sometimes a little to long on the ball but didn't look out of place against the WBA three
Propper - 8.5 - personally thought he was brilliant today and by far the best CM on the pitch. Passing range is incredible and very composed. Got stuck in at times and linked well with everyone.
March - 7.5 again livley going forward. Would love to see him drive more at players 1v1 at times when he is in space. Think he will more his confidence in his own ability increases. End product not always there when crossing but did dig a great cross out for the opening goal. Some great work late on V Burke. Don't think Burke got past him once.
Gross - 8.5 - 2 goals and an assist which isn't bad at all. Really got into the game as it progressed. Made a massive difference as he gets close to the striker something WBA didn't do until Morrison came on.
Hemed -7.5 - worked well and won a lot today. More of this he will start a lot of games. Well taken goal and good movement for it getting in front of Evans. More of the same be great.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not fair for me to give a mark as I watched it on Bein Sports in a bar in Torrevieja without commentary.. I thought that we struggled when first Bruno went off and then Hemed but we held on for 3 points.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Not fair for me to give a mark as I watched it on Bein Sports in a bar in Torrevieja without commentary.. I thought that we struggled when first Bruno went off and then Hemed but we held on for 3 points.

When we scored Did you;

1 celebrate loudly
2 a smirk, fist pump and mouth "get in there"
3 sip your drink

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Highlights for me were...March had Oliver Burke in his pocket. Can't recall Burke winning any one on one with March.
Knockaert tirelessly sprinted back to cut out WBA's attacking threats
Dunk's long cross field pin point balls were sublime and other than one error, he dominated their Strikers
Duffys command in the air in defence and his attacking presence at set pieces
Gross for his two goals and one assist
Ryan for two particularly good saves at crucial times in the match
Hemed for all the bet wetters who had written him off, for his goal, beating a 30 million pound plus defender to the header and a very good premier league goalkeeper at the near post plus an overall good professional team effort from all the players
The boys did good!!

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Interesting that some posters don't differentiate between Dunk and Duffy but mark them as a unit. I think that may be one of our strongest points this season.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Ryan - 7, solid but didn't have a lot to do. I sort of felt their goal his reaction was a bit late.
Bruno - 7, same again. Very reliable, shame he got injured. But with Schelotto and Rosenior as back up, i hope he recovers swiftly.
Duffy - 8, let's ignore that heart in mouth back pass, did he ever lose an aerial dual? No. Solid
Dunk - 8.5, England call up this season i reckon. Brilliant just brilliant.
Suttner - 7.5, hard to say much about Suttner. He was good, but i felt March tracked back frequently to cover him. He wasn't at fauly for anything, him and March relly covered that left flank.
Knockaert - 7.5, quiet at times, explosive at times. His control in the first half was superb, he has a point to prove and he is going to get better and better
Stephens - 7, still needs to adapt to the pace of the league but much better, he did help force WBA errors and did his job
Propper - 7.5, I've been a big critic of Propper, genuinely didn't think he would be a good signing for us. Today was much better, much much better. You can see him fitting well in the squad.
March - 8.5, ****ing brilliant. Dive a side, he gave them a lot of trouble both when he went forward and backwards. Expect interest in him and Dunk in January
Hemed - 7.5, worked hard, linked up well with Gross and wasn't as isolated today. His header was superb, he will score us goals and we need to ensure delivery
Gross - 7.5, same as Hemed, was quiet until his goal then we saw the German engine in 5th gear

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Ryan - 7 (one good, but expected stop from Barry; great block in injury time)

Bruno - 7
Dunk - 9 - Imperious
Duffy - 8 - very good
Suttner - 7 - interesting that CH has deployed March as an additional full back. It suggests that perhaps Suttner has been too easily beaten on his outside so far, which I think is fair. That said, with March's help he had a good, solid game today.

Knockaert - 7 - didn't quite open them up but looks at home at this level
Stephens - 6 - as others have said, still below his peak
Propper - 7 - his best game yet and I think there is more to come
March - 8 - excellent, disciplined display from a flair player - great to see
Gross - 8 - Six out of ten for the first 40 minutes, balanced by top marks for the next 40. Second strike was a beauty.

Hemed - 7.5 - extra half mark for his goal - looked much better today.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Surprised at some of the criticism for Stephens. He did a lot of the dirty work today, nothing spectacular but broke up play and distributed the ball. I'm sure many of the doubters won't notice how important he is until he's not there. Albion fans never appreciate a hard working CM - many said the same about Hammond before he went to Southampton and then he left and we constantly got overrun in midfield and the same people wondered why!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ryan 8 He gets an 8 for the importance of the save and he'll be delighted to have had such an easy day. Looked more comfortable today.
Bruno 7 Classic Bruno without doing anything overly special.
Duffy 7 Headers were incredible, his ridiculous back pass was less so!
Dunk 8 Spreading passes and broke through the lines which helped us get the upper hand in the game. CLASS.
Suttner 6 Looks to still be playing within himself, not really gelling with March at all.
Knockaert 7 Marked down for lack of end product and didn't track Gibbs, leading to the goal. Always a threat though.
Stephens 5 Looks out of his depth at the moment, he needs Propper to get out of his way a little bit. Propper higher up would give him more passing options too.
Propper 7 Much better, looked like a real player. The signs are good for him, no doubting his pedigree.
March 8 Oddly overrated on here, put in the defensive shift without doubt and one or two good deliveries as well to be fair.
Gross 8 Nowhere for 40 minutes and then exploded into life. Dave needed a game at right back to settle, Gross needed a goal.
Hemed 7 Marked up for the goal but obviously short of quality. Tried hard which is the minimum, not his fault he's a yard short.

Subs
Rosenior 6 He's a good player to have to come in when required, glad he got some minutes on the pitch.
Murray 6 Poor all round, we need him to be starting games to get his fitness back up again.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Just got back, what an afternoon. Good performance, apart from sitting back too much in last 15 minutes. Special mentions for:

Dunk - Beckenbauer, eat your heart out.
Duffy - immense, heading was superb
March - just for his tracking back, particularly one instance early in the second half.
Gross - put himself about and two goals
Propper - looked the business.
Crowd - best I have witnessed at the Amex.

Great day for following The Albion.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Surprised at some of the criticism for Stephens. He did a lot of the dirty work today, nothing spectacular but broke up play and distributed the ball. I'm sure many of the doubters won't notice how important he is until he's not there. Albion fans never appreciate a hard working CM - many said the same about Hammond before he went to Southampton and then he left and we constantly got overrun in midfield and the same people wondered why!

The issue is that DS seems to need a yard too much at times. Got his pocket picked for City's first goal, and poor first touch early on today set up what should have been a more dangerous WB attack. At this level. mistakes get punished more severely. He certainly seemed more in control today; perhaps getting used to playing with Propper.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pascal Gross currently the highest scoring player in the fantasy team points this week !

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am gonna watch the full game later so can't comment on any of them yet. But they players there will have games where things won't come off but today they did. This is about getting games where they come off to get 40 points and this season there will be 40 points on the board. Some deserved and some not so but at the end of the day. Brighton are progressing.

I am not carried away by the first win but the players will be and that's important. They know now. ****ing hell we are as good as anyone around us and from now on we are gonna show you that we are

I am not carried away by the first win but the players will be and that's important. They know now. ****ing hell we are as good as anyone around us and from now on we are gonna show you that we are
THIS..AN i fancy us now to wallop Bournemouth - had this early season as a draw but up upgrading that to win with a clean sheet!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here