Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spongy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if someone decides to choose you to talk to then PLEASE listen to them and try to help them.

I have just left the wake of a friends funeral. He committed suicide on the corner just north of Wivelsfield station two weeks ago.

He wasn't going through the best of times and we all knew he was struggling with things. There were some (me included) who didn't really realise just how serious the situation was. I wish I had listened more to him.

I myself have e experienced depression and had very macabre thoughts in my late teens and early twenties of ending my life. But somehow, and I have no idea how or what happened to change my th8nking but I managed to snap myself out of it, maybe I wasn't as bad as I thought I was, maybe it was a strong belief in myself which I didn't know I had, or the guilt that I was worrying friends or family with my own personal actions. Or maybe the vast amount of cocaine and ecstasy that I took to leave and forget the situation I was in but something happened that saved me.

My friend was going through what I did nearly 20 years ago. Perhaps it's the time passed that has dulled my memory of what I went through. I don't know.

I should have listened more and seen the signs. I just didn't realise he was that desperate. I thought he would "snap" oht of it just like i did. I feel I failed him in the most inexcusable way and I will never ever forgive myself for being so blaze about it and digging my head in the sand.

If someone doesn't seem right or their behaviour worries you in any way then please for God's sake please do your best to help.

I'm going to have to live with this for the rest of my life knowing I may have been able to do something but ignored it.

Please don't make the the same mitsake i have. I beg you. Its serious.
    I knew him too and was very shocked by what happened two weeks ago.

You shouldn't attribute any blame to yourself.

RIP Aaron

• North Stand Chat

advertising

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      Anti depressants take more than a couple of weeks to work. You need to take them for six months to start feeling the effects. Please go back to your doctor.
      Sound advice this @Sussex Nomad and possibly better than your GP's reading others comments. And for god's sake stay on them if they're helping - so many people think the idea is to get off them once better but you wouldn't deny a diabetic their insulin so why take the chance and regress again. Especially if you've a long chequered history with something like depression. Accept you've got a chemical imbalance...just like your enormous schlong right? It's just natural, no need to feel guilty about ;) And good luck
      "Never miss a good chance to shut up"

1 Not allowed!
      My brother killed himself 20 odd years ago, I had managed to talk him out of it on a couple of previous occasions and didn't really get why he wanted to do it in the first place, as he seemed to have a pretty good life.
      It was only when he was drunk that he went on about it, in the end the drink probably gave him enough Dutch courage to go through with it.
      We found him at his garage business with an empty bottle of whisky and a hose attached to the exhaust pipe.
      Even now I think of what I could have done to have prevented it, if only I was there with him during the earlier evening hours when he was trawling the local pubs getting pissed.
      The fact is that you can't be everywhere and people do slip through the net, that will always happen.
      It is best to come to terms with it as you can't turn the clock back and be there to support the ones left behind, as you can do nothing for your friend now.
      Try to remember the good days of your friendship and share these thoughts to comfort others.
      Time will ease the pain but not eradicate it, you seem to be in a good relationship, I would concentrate on that and giving extra hugs to those dear to you.
      Jimmy Melia's shoes.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by OzMike View Post
      My brother killed himself 20 odd years ago, I had managed to talk him out of it on a couple of previous occasions and didn't really get why he wanted to do it in the first place, as he seemed to have a pretty good life.
      It was only when he was drunk that he went on about it, in the end the drink probably gave him enough Dutch courage to go through with it.
      We found him at his garage business with an empty bottle of whisky and a hose attached to the exhaust pipe.
      Even now I think of what I could have done to have prevented it, if only I was there with him during the earlier evening hours when he was trawling the local pubs getting pissed.
      The fact is that you can't be everywhere and people do slip through the net, that will always happen.
      It is best to come to terms with it as you can't turn the clock back and be there to support the ones left behind, as you can do nothing for your friend now.
      Try to remember the good days of your friendship and share these thoughts to comfort others.
      Time will ease the pain but not eradicate it, you seem to be in a good relationship, I would concentrate on that and giving extra hugs to those dear to you.
      Wow that must be tough for you. You have my greatest respect. I also knew somebody who hung himself after being intoxicated. I said earlier that it's hard to stop somebody especially men.
      KobanÓ liberated 26th Jan 2015 = Modern day Stalingrad
      RIP Ceylan Ozalp, 19
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zqu...dex=11&list=WL

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Nomad View Post
      Are you sure? I was on them for 28 days and the doc told me I'd feel the effect after a couple of weeks? It had no effect on me, but I shall take your advice, I did wonder myself.
      Yes. This is what my doctor told me in March, when I started taking them. I'm still on them, at the moment.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain
      Surrounded by <div>s Grombleton's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Yes. This is what my doctor told me in March, when I started taking them. I'm still on them, at the moment.
      It may also be that they aren't the right ones for you @Sussex Nomad - i'm on my 3rd different one to find a type and dosage that works for me.
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      There is a whole spectrum (imagine a circle with horizontal and vertical dissecting lines - 4 quadrants) with acute versus chronic, and mild versus severe as the axes. No two people sit in the same part of the spectrum. If you are prescribed drugs, some work in a couple of weeks (amytryptaline according to a mate who was on it) and some take longer, but the effect will also depend on where you are in the spectrum.

It can be possible to get better if you surrender to the intervention. To complicate issues, some illness is refractory to treatment, and some people who are ill do not 'want' to get better (or are convinced they are stuck).

On top of that some depression is endogenous (no cause) and some is refractory (reaction to divorce etc).

My best wishes to all of you who are suffering. One thing to remember - it is not your fault.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Anti depressants take more than a couple of weeks to work. You need to take them for six months to start feeling the effects. Please go back to your doctor.
      It depends what you are taking but yes 2-4 weeks generally is not enough. 6 months seems too long in my experience but horses and courses.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maffew View Post
      It depends what you are taking but yes 2-4 weeks generally is not enough. 6 months seems too long in my experience but horses and courses.
      I suppose it also depends on the dosage. I took half a tablet for the first month, then progressing to a whole one at 50mg (Sertraline) Part of my depression is a by product of the auto immune disease, that I have.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I suppose it also depends on the dosage. I took half a tablet for the first month, then progressing to a whole one at 50mg (Sertraline) Part of my depression is a by product of the auto immune disease, that I have.
      Hope it works for you mate. Yes (I am not a doctor) generally a review after 4 to 6 weeks I believe is normal to assess and review the dosage. I cant take Sertraline for various reasons but 50mg isnt the highest dosage you can take but as said hope it works for you, Unfortunately for some SSRIs to work you often feel worse before you feel better. I just had to double the dosage of one of my meds and **** it felt awful but I think its starting to work somewhat now