Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    May have to put up the cost of our coach for this one...
    "WINNERS FIND ANSWERS. PROMOTION CANDIDATES FIND THEIR SOLUTIONS. BRIGHTON HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER TONIGHT" Sky Sports commentator after Glen Murray scored 94th minute at Birmingham. 17.12.2016

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Of all the sh1t ideas I've ever seen, this is the sh1ttest.

It's bad enough that we already have to play in WALES, but at least it's on a home and away basis. Why should any team cede home advantage in what could be a pivotal match? More importantly, why should the fans miss out?

I really don't care for this idea at all. If someone in the Far East would rather watch our clubs than their local one, then that's their problem, not ours.
      Involved in Scouting?
      Take part in the Sussex Downsman Hike - 7 October 2017 - this year is the 50th event
      http://www.downsman.com

0 Not allowed!
      It's a great idea, and we need this sort of thing to grow our 'brand' outside of SE England.

What's the big deal losing one game a year? There's actually a decent amount of Albion fans spread out over Asia (and the world), and if Albion had a game in this region, I'd sure as hell do my best to get to it!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk
      worshipping Omiros

0 Not allowed!
      Would it be potg? How would barber work the away membership thing?
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by middletoenail View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's a great idea, and we need this sort of thing to grow our 'brand' outside of SE England.

What's the big deal losing one game a year? There's actually a decent amount of Albion fans spread out over Asia (and the world), and if Albion had a game in this region, I'd sure as hell do my best to get to it!

So go to The Far East and play a series of friendlies after the season has ended...
      "Intercluderent aut mori"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      So go to The Far East and play a series of friendlies after the season has ended...
      Hopefully they will, but why not do it for something meaningful? What exactly is the issue here?

3 Not allowed!
      Hopefully they will, but why not do it for something meaningful? What exactly is the issue here?

The issue is that I haven't waited 34 years to get back to the top flight to start giving matches away to Sum Yung Gi.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      It depends on the team for me. If it is two crap outfits, then I won't be going. Unless one of those crap outfits is the Toronto Blue Jays, obviously.

Going back to the football, La Liga going abroad is a laughable idea. There are only 2 clubs that will draw crowds, although arguably Atletico might too. That's what you get for having a crappy league where two clubs operate a self perpetuating duopoly because each club can negotiate it's own TV deal. Barca and RM hoover up 80% of all TV rights in Spain between them.

Say what you like about our league, but it's a similar standard and far more competitive. Several of our clubs have large followings abroad, not just two so going abroad would be far more feasible.
      There's no way this kind of fixture wouldn't involve Barca of Real (or possibly both). None of the other teams would draw any sort of crowd but fans would flock to see the big two annihilate whoever is put in front of them- simply because of who they're watching. Barcelona vs I dunno, Sporting Gijon, would probably still draw a large crowd. I went to the Nou Camp a few years ago for a game against Sevilla (a pretty big club). The section I was in was FULL of either a) asian tourists or b) english speaking lads.

It's a shit idea anyway, and one that sets a dangerous precedent for the other big leagues. Football in Europe carries a huge element of prestige/history and the stadiums that these big games are played in, and the fans in attendance, play a big part of that. Even if it was Barca-Real being played in, say, Qatar, it would be shit as you'd instantly kill huge elements of why that game is such a big deal- the hostile atmosphere, the prestigious stadiums full of partisan fans, the joy for players of smashing one in against your rivals. Completely dead. This is the next phase in football selling its soul and it won't be long before other leagues follow suit.

0 Not allowed!

Can kinda understand that argument middle, and if it came down to it, if it ever actually happened then I can imagine people will want to go to it from Brighton just for a weeks jolly to go and watch Brighton play. But ultimately that's what friendlies are for, surely?

This mustn't happen in my opinion just because it makes more money, regular season games shouldn't be played outside of England. As simple as that.

Frankly I couldn't give a damn about how Brighton are perceived, or any sort of brand promoting, in the far east or America.

1 Not allowed!
      As commented earlier I could easily see the Carafiz cup final located to Asia. We could win our first major trophy since 1910 in Bangkok. One messy night in Soy Cowboy.
      Last edited by Vicar!; 08-09-2017 at 14:25.