Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Don't wait for me! Albumen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brighton - In your face
    Posts
    10,739

    Brighton v West Brom ....... in China?


    0 Not allowed!
    La Liga hopes to stage league fixtures abroad as soon as next season ....

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...a-javier-tebas

    It's going to happen in the Premier $ooner or £ater. Sod the loyal fans.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #2
      Better times now though!! I remember the good times's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      3,308


      1 Not allowed!
      It'l be the Cara Cup first I'd have thought. Would anyone be surprised if the 2018/19 final wasn't overseas? Yet another reason not to play in it.
    • #3
      Members Simster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Surrey
      Posts
      44,736


      0 Not allowed!
      It happens in the NFL, MLB are following suit, the NHL has done it and I believe the NBA has too. It's the way of the world as there is just so much money in live sport these days.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
    • #4

      5 Not allowed!
      How many points would we get for that one?
    • #5
      Members Is it PotG?'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Sussex by the Sea
      Posts
      2,651


      0 Not allowed!
      I can see the potential for a Manc derby or Chelsea v Liverpool being in demand over there, but BHA v WBA or Stoke v Burnley might be harder to sell.
    • #6
      Brain dead MUG SHEEP Easy 10's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Location Location
      Posts
      49,850


      0 Not allowed!
      duplicate
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
    • #7
      Brain dead MUG SHEEP Easy 10's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Location Location
      Posts
      49,850


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It happens in the NFL, MLB are following suit, the NHL has done it and I believe the NBA has too. It's the way of the world as there is just so much money in live sport these days.
      NFL going abroad always seems PARTICULARLY harsh, as you only get 8 home games during the regular season. Losing one of them to London (or wherever) must be a right shitter for the fans over there.

      MLB you get 81 home games a season, so not quite such a biggee. If they ever bring a series over here I'm going to be ALL OVER that like white on rice.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
    • #8
      Members Simster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Surrey
      Posts
      44,736


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NFL going abroad always seems PARTICULARLY harsh, as you only get 8 home games during the regular season. Losing one of them to London (or wherever) must be a right shitter for the fans over there.

      MLB you get 81 home games a season, so not quite such a biggee. If they ever bring a series over here I'm going to be ALL OVER that like white on rice.
      It depends on the team for me. If it is two crap outfits, then I won't be going. Unless one of those crap outfits is the Toronto Blue Jays, obviously.



      Going back to the football, La Liga going abroad is a laughable idea. There are only 2 clubs that will draw crowds, although arguably Atletico might too. That's what you get for having a crappy league where two clubs operate a self perpetuating duopoly because each club can negotiate it's own TV deal. Barca and RM hoover up 80% of all TV rights in Spain between them.

      Say what you like about our league, but it's a similar standard and far more competitive. Several of our clubs have large followings abroad, not just two so going abroad would be far more feasible.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
    • #9
      Brain dead MUG SHEEP Easy 10's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Location Location
      Posts
      49,850


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It depends on the team for me. If it is two crap outfits, then I won't be going. Unless one of those crap outfits is the Toronto Blue Jays, obviously.
      I think its highly likely it'd be a crap outfit vs one of the "garland" teams, a Yankies or a Red Sox. They'd need at least one big team to sell the series to the punters over here. Which is why I'd be quite hopeful the Twins would fill the crap outfit slot (although they're actually still somehow clinging on to a 2nd wildcard spot this year...)

      I'd go whoever it was though. Just love the game as a spectacle, you can't beat seeing it live.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
    • #10
      Members Simster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Surrey
      Posts
      44,736


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I think its highly likely it'd be a crap outfit vs one of the "garland" teams, a Yankies or a Red Sox. They'd need at least one big team to sell the series to the punters over here. Which is why I'd be quite hopeful the Twins would fill the crap outfit slot (although they're actually still somehow clinging on to a 2nd wildcard spot this year...)

      I'd go whoever it was though. Just love the game as a spectacle, you can't beat seeing it live.
      I disagree actually - the UK is a fertile sports attendance country. We'll watch any old shìt - 55,000 turn up to watch West Ham FFS. And look at the world athletics championships - absolute choc-a-bloc a month ago at the London stadium. So I reckon they could plonk the Marlins v the Brewers at Lords for a 5 game series and the place would be sold out for all 5 games. Even if the game went to 19 innings, there would be a hell of a lot more than the 700 who stuck around until 1:30am to watch the Red Sox beat the Blue Jays this week. (another classic 2017 Blue Jays fck up)
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •