Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, it's just your opinion, rather than basing it on strategy, what the manager's said, etc.
    Baldock may play as the one striker up-front (he may need to if the other two are injured). And we may play two up-front in certain match situations and against certain opponents and, if or when we do, I suspect we'll see Baldock then.
    The manager is hardly likely to say we are going to play in a way we haven't got the players for is he? Yes it is just my opinion about Baldock too ,I have no inside knowledge but neither do I take what Hughton says as being set in stone for the season either.

I have not said Baldock would play every game either, just that we do need the option of Baldock to give us some variety in attack

Izquierdo may well bring this to the team but to suggest that we haven't missed Baldock is just plain daft, again imo.
    Last edited by Icy Gull; 08-09-2017 at 15:30.
    Falmer, concrete proof that if you build it they will come

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Broad Blue & White stripe perseus's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Munkfish View Post
      Who?
      Typo: Santi Cazorla

Brighton = blue
      Albion = white
      Hove = just a little gold necklace stripe

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      The manager is hardly likely to say we are going to play in a way we haven't got the players for is he?
      Frank the farmer is at Palace............oh wait..................

0 Not allowed!
      False number 9, strikerless formation with Baldock, Groß, March/ Izquierdo, or Izzy Brown with all the three having no fixed positions. They take it in turns to run around at the front to conserve energy and give a bit of variation?

http://www.thefalse9.com/2013/09/foo...the-false.html

Hemed and Murray don't seem to be able to run around for a whole game, with Murray helping out in defence as well. One plays for an hour, but an early injury substitutions (e.g. v Man City) mucks up such plans or reduce the options if we go behind (e.g. v Man City).

Brighton = blue
      Albion = white

0 Not allowed!
      There are some posters who will tell you that we don't and won't miss him because we will only be playing one upfront this season. Gross will be able to slot in there when needed....apparently or so I've read on here
      It's nice to add a new name to the ever increasing list of players who 'can't play Baldock's position, but are cheaper than an actual replacement'.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks
      Fantasy Vuelta - League Name: NSC Geeks League Code: 68204709

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Normski1989 View Post
      It lists the 10 most influential players in a table part way down the page. Stones is 6th with a rating of 2.3. Stones was about as influential as a vegan in a bacon eating contest.

I'm not disagreeing that Baldock was probably our most influential player last year and we're missing him now. But I think to say Murphy was by far out least influential player is a bit harsh.
      Tottenham striker Vincent Janssen's score of exactly 0 informs us that his side did not do better when he was on the pitch - but they also did not suffer. He had a totally neutral impact.

Brighton = blue
      Albion = white
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      The manager is hardly likely to say we are going to play in a way we haven't got the players for is he? Yes it is just my opinion about Baldock too ,I have no inside knowledge but neither do I take what Hughton says as being set in stone for the season either.

I have not said Baldock would play every game either, just that we do need the option of Baldock to give us some variety in attack

Izquierdo may well bring this to the team but to suggest that we haven't missed Baldock is just plain daft, again imo.
      CH said when he arrived at the club that his favoured formations are 4-4-1-1 and 4-2-3-1; he has said soon after we got promoted that his preferred formation is 4-4-1-1; the recruitment has been based around 4-4-1-1; we've played it in pre-season, our three PL games and even the cup game.
      And, please point out where I've said that we haven't missed Baldock. Discuss what's in front of you but, again, I'll go with what CH says and does over anybody's opinion on NSC.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      CH said when he arrived at the club that his favoured formations are 4-4-1-1 and 4-2-3-1; he has said soon after we got promoted that his preferred formation is 4-4-1-1; the recruitment has been based around 4-4-1-1; we've played it in pre-season, our three PL games and even the cup game.
      And, please point out where I've said that we haven't missed Baldock. Discuss what's in front of you but, again, I'll go with what CH says and does over anybody's opinion on NSC.
      So how many have we recruited to play behind the main striker in a 4-4-1-1 then that can do a better job than Baldock could?

Izquierdo maybe, but he is primarily a winger and Gross looked well short of the quality required at Leicester and has he ever played there? ( genuinely don't know enough about him but he certainly didn't look at all comfortable there) Brown maybe?
      Falmer, concrete proof that if you build it they will come
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      A load of old Tosh those stats. I could take specific factors and chose them selectively which makes Gataen Bong the most effective player if I grade them in the correct manner. I could even make Elvis Manu the most effective although I might have to scratch around for quite a few variables for that one.

The most effective player all things considered had to be Dale Stephens because when he was out the team did not win. However, although some players had a better season than others, it was a collective squad performance and trying to find a few stats to fill a news column does nothing to alter that in my opinion.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I'm one of those that say (for the most of the season) we'll only be playing one up-front. I base this on:
      -- how we've played in pre-season
      -- how we've played in our first three games, and
      -- more importantly, what CH has said and what (most of) our transfer activity was about
      You, and SB, seem to think otherwise. What are your explanations?
      Apologies for jumping in, but you gave 3 reasons for your assumption that we would play most of this season with one up front, and you posted in response to another who said "there are some who will tell you we don't, and we won't miss Baldock, as we will only be playing one up front"
      By saying you were one of those that felt we would only play one up front, it implies somewhat that you also agree with the "won't miss Baldock" part of the post.

2 of those reasons you gave were how we played pre season, and how we have started out this season.
      I think you have to concede that Baldock was not available pre season and at the start of this season, and there is no other player that can fulfill the role that he has played for us thus far under Hughton. Therefore you really just have one reason, what Hughton has said, which is open to interpretation as to how those positions are played, and whether you call one striker behind the other, just one up front.

Really it comes down to this question, do you think Baldock will play more often than not if fit?
      Posted by Kosh, 19/7/2016 - 14th - 11th this year, or I'll eat my big Ritchie Blackmore hat.